dash lights keep coming on check engine abs and brake light

silver94

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Not sure why but my check lights keep coming on sometimes check engine and abs and brake light comes on not all at once just random. So i turn off car and they go off not sure why would this be happening. Haven't noticed any change in anything but still weird?

Your battery and/or alternator may be going bad. Go to your local crappy parts store and have them check them for you. If they are good, you may have a bare wire behind the dash. That was what was wrong with mine.

Last edited:
not sure

Have new alternator and i have no power issues starts fine and still powers everything including my system so no clue will check wiring though

I think it's operator error!:D:D:D Sounds like the typical alternator light show. You do have subs and an amp still? When did you put the alternator in? Or was it new from the guy you got the car from? Have Slowreily's test it and then have Hans get you one. Get the 140 amp cobra alternator.

I think he has an abs sensor on the way out. He's ocassionally getting an abs light or a brake light.

I have never had a mark that didn't throw me a cle ocassionaly. I have had four and all have run fine. [The red one gets cranky ocassionaly] But the light never stays.

It usually happens on the highway on long trips. It comes and then goes never staying for more then two minutes.

Note I have only owned first gen obd1 cars. And have scanned them and found nothing there.

Is this something you all have experienced that are somewhat stock?

Brake light is going to be due to a low fluid level or loose emergency brake pin switch.

ABS light will be either a wheel speed sensor going bad (one on each spindle up front and two on the diff housing) or (not likely) ABS module going bad.

Check engine that goes off could be bad plug/coil pack, slight vac leak, TPS going bad, MAF dirty...... could be a lot of things. You need to pull the code.

Laser- my check engine abs and brake light and both on and the car is sluggish any ideas i just changed the sparkplugs 2 days ago HELP

you might be right

my e brake has not worked since i got the car 7 months ago but the light just started coming on. I will check the fluid but not sure on the abs and the check engine light. Also have hardly any power off the line but after 35 she comes to life not sure on that part imrcs are opening checked those when i replaced the tps but maybe it could be the two little silver things that control the imrcs opening is that a possibility of why no power off the line i mean it will barley squeak the tires. I have done plugs and wires also. Still no change in performance.

crazy wierd

ok now my check engine light and brake light come on driving 2 blocks to my house from 1bads house and pull in to my house and the windows won't go up and the radio won't come on. Turn the car off and turn it to acc everything works again what the hell!!!

that could be

That very well could be i just put a new switch in it about 2 week ago and i think that is when all the problems started to happen. The key was real tight putting in and pulling out not so bad now bud still doesn't feel as smooth as it should, but i just thought it was like that cause it was new. Man who would of thought that little part where you put the key in could cause all that sh*t.:eek::confused: Why do all these cars have so many problems and are so hard to work on ? Seems like everyday it something new wrong.

After searching for "Flashing Check Engine Light", this is the best I could find. So I thought I'd post this question here. So okay, my wife just called me at work and told me that the '97 LSC is acting crazy. She's driving down the road and the gas needle has dropped to "E". It was on 3/4 tank this morning when she went to work. And she said the check engine light was flashing on and off. She also said that it was sputtering and had no power. She thought it was going to cut off when she stopped at a stopsign. Then when she got home, turned the engine off and let it sit a minute and cranked it back up, it was fine, idling smooth and the gas needle was back up to 3/4 tank. After it idled a minute it started spitting and sputtering again. Then she cut it off. Anybody got any ideas? It's been running like a sewing machine since we got it. This is the first issue like this that we've had. I did pull codes on the cel last week and got a PRNDL sensor malfunction, but that was it. I'm still at work and haven't looked at it yet. But I'm thinking either fuel pump or alternator getting ready to go south. But I hope not. Anyone else had anything like this happen?

Members online

No members online now.
Back