Dash Board Removal Thread

De-marko

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
It's about time that I get my A/C fixed on this car. I found out last year that the expansion valve malfunctioned staying shut. I've had the parts, just no time to replace them and the dash doesn't look much fun...and it isn't lol.

I worked on the beast a bit tonight.

begin.jpg

dash 2.jpg

dash 3.jpg

dash 4.jpg

dash 5.jpg

I feel your pain. Your doing a much better job of cleaning up. Mine looked like a mess until I was done.

Fortunately, almost all of the fasteners are 7 or 8 mm and few 12mm thrown in to keep it interesting. :p

dash 6.jpg

dash 7.jpg

dash 8.jpg

dash 9.jpg

dash 10.jpg

dash 11.jpg

dash 12.jpg

You Just Never Know What You'll Find!!

I'm sure we have all found money or condoms (STILL SEALED LOL) in our cars when we clean them out or fix something, but I didn't expect this paraphernalia. :shifty:

smokes.jpg

uh ok.jpg

uh ok 2.jpg

uh ok 3.jpg

I need to pull out the message center... How easy was that??

The message center is part of the gauge cluster. I's not too bad at all. You have to remove a lot of the trim pieces around the steering wheel which most of them are snap in pieces.

A couple screws and some bolts hold the gauge cluster bezel on. Remove that after you lower and extend the steering wheel as far as you can to get some clearance, plus you have to lower the steering column itself just a bit by loosening four 12mm bolts from the bottom. The gauge cluster itself is held in by four 7mm bolts and three plugs in the back and it's out.

Easiest thing in the car to get out. As you can see in the pics it's the first thing that came off. It's just pops out.

Good luck with the dash R/R. I did the same on my old 87 LSC in the middle of winter. Fun times!

Looking at the pictures. When I saw the box of smokes, I giggled. When I saw the syringe... I cringed.

When I pulled my dash, I only found the original sale sticker.

Yes! It does make you think. "Was the previous owner diabetic?"

..or a f*cking junkie?

That's a pretty bad windshield crack by the way.

holy :q:q:q:q. I love finding things in cars, gives you an idea about its life.

def a junkie

Easiest thing in the car to get out. As you can see in the pics it's the first thing that came off. It's just pops out.

Good luck with the dash R/R. I did the same on my old 87 LSC in the middle of winter. Fun times!

Oh ok, yeah just pulls out, and mine was even easier since the clips are broken.

Thanks man!
..or a f*cking junkie?

That's a pretty bad windshield crack by the way.

Yeah a junkie all the way...what did you think of the home made crack/pot pipe? Some welding skills there lol. Plus the cotton swabs by the syringe had blood spots...friggin gross, I think I need gloves now to tear into it more. :p

Yeah, the windshield is part of the long to do list on this car.:rolleyes:

Wow... syringes and a pipe? HAHAHAHAHA... Dude who did you buy this from? A drugdealer?

LoL, you would think!

No, the guy I bought it from was honest about it and told me he bought it from a police auction, fixed some things like window regulator and clock spring and then was reselling to make some money. The police auction would make sense!! :D

More work and a few hidden fasteners. Just two under the windshield and one on the drivers side behind a rubber plug grommet.

pesky bolts 1.jpg

pesky bolts 2.jpg

It's finally out!! I tried to avoid taking out the steering column and the shifter but there is no way around it. Plus, that dash is one heavy S.O.B!!

dash 1.jpg

dash 2.jpg

dash 3.jpg

dash 4.jpg

dash 5.jpg

Wouldn't things sold in a police auction get some heavy duty inspections? Sh1ts crazy, if I found a syringe in anything of mine I would pass out.

Yeah! Well, I started pulling the carpet back with a long screw driver so as not to poke myself in case the dumb-butt left a syringe with the cap off!!

My brother says to pull ever panel off and back seat in hopes of finding a stash of cash. :lol:

Reminds me of the scene in saw where the chick falls into the pit of syringes.....thats got to be a horible pain.

Wow. Bravo on that dash pull. I had to pull the dash on my wife's Grand Cherokee 3 times, and my buddies GC (I was an expert aparently) and it was not fun. Is that coil in the middle the heater core? I have been curious as to where that stuff was under there.

I'm replacing the blend door on my 1998 Navigator. It's more painful than the engine replacment on the LS.

wow the cluster looks so easy to get out given you can adjust the steering wheel all the way down. I should have done that before unplugging everything lol

Wow. Bravo on that dash pull. I had to pull the dash on my wife's Grand Cherokee 3 times, and my buddies GC (I was an expert aparently) and it was not fun. Is that coil in the middle the heater core? I have been curious as to where that stuff was under there.

Thanks man! Yeah dash pulls are not the first thing I want to do lol. From what I understand the Mark 8 dash is even worse.

Yeah, that is the heater core. It almost makes me want to replace everything under there before I put it back together.....just in case :p

Members online

Back