Darwin's False Religion

95DevilleNS said:
You're seriously going to say that I.D. is not religiously based? LOL... Then pray tell what "Intelligence" does it refer too if not God or a god?
Before you make another comment on ID, why don't you go look it up and do some research. You are making yourself look like a fool by commenting on it from sheer ignorance. Until you do that, I'm not going to enlighten you. It's not my job to teach you something. I've learned that from our discussion on dinosaurs in the Bible. Obviously you've gotten used to being spoon fed information, as evidenced by the way you have merrily embraced evolution despite the fallacies espoused by your very antiquated and phony textbooks from school.
95DevilleNS said:
I never claimed you personally said "You're going to hell..." did I? I said religion has stated that if you do not believe in what is written you'll go to hell. Nice try.
Which religion is that? Hmm? Tell me. This is nothing but another phony straw man argument that you can't back up. Not a nice try, a pathetic try.
95DevilleNS said:
I'll take your word about those teachers being fired, you know why though? They "encouraged" religion and that is not their job. Public schools are religiously free; teachers do not have the right to impose/imply religion on students. Wouldn't you be upset if your child attending public school was asked by a Muslim teacher to consider the Islamic point of view on anything?

Your straw man is so transparent it's hilarious. The teachers did not encourage religion, they encouraged looking at all the evidence. There's a difference. You just put words in my mouth yet again.

Do you realize that study of Islam IS being pushed in our public schools? What do you think of that? Hmm?
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=25997

Teaching About Religion

Students may be taught about religion, but public schools may not teach religion. As the U.S. Supreme Court has repeatedly said, "t might well be said that one's education is not complete without a study of comparative religion, or the history of religion and its relationship to the advancement of civilization." It would be difficult to teach art, music, literature and most social studies without considering religious influences.
The history of religion, comparative religion, the Bible (or other scripture)-as-literature (either as a separate course or within some other existing course), are all permissible public school subjects. It is both permissible and desirable to teach objectively about the role of religion in the history of the United States and other countries. One can teach that the Pilgrims came to this country with a particular religious vision, that Catholics and others have been subject to persecution or that many of those participating in the abolitionist, women's suffrage and civil rights movements had religious motivations.

These same rules apply to the recurring controversy surrounding theories of evolution. Schools may teach about explanations of life on earth, including religious ones (such as "creationism"), in comparative religion or social studies classes. In science class, however, they may present only genuinely scientific critiques of, or evidence for, any explanation of life on earth, but not religious critiques (beliefs unverifiable by scientific methodology). Schools may not refuse to teach evolutionary theory in order to avoid giving offense to religion nor may they circumvent these rules by labeling as science an article of religious faith. Public schools must not teach as scientific fact or theory any religious doctrine, including "creationism," although any genuinely scientific evidence for or against any explanation of life may be taught. Just as they may neither advance nor inhibit any religious doctrine, teachers should not ridicule, for example, a student's religious explanation for life on earth.
http://www.ed.gov/Speeches/04-1995/prayer.html#4

fossten said:
Before you make another comment on ID, why don't you go look it up and do some research. You are making yourself look like a fool by commenting on it from sheer ignorance. Until you do that, I'm not going to enlighten you. It's not my job to teach you something. I've learned that from our discussion on dinosaurs in the Bible. Obviously you've gotten used to being spoon fed information, as evidenced by the way you have merrily embraced evolution despite the fallacies espoused by your very antiquated and phony textbooks from school.

Which religion is that? Hmm? Tell me. This is nothing but another phony straw man argument that you can't back up. Not a nice try, a pathetic try.

Your straw man is so transparent it's hilarious. The teachers did not encourage religion, they encouraged looking at all the evidence. There's a difference. You just put words in my mouth yet again.

Do you realize that study of Islam IS being pushed in our public schools? What do you think of that? Hmm?

"The theory of intelligent design (ID) holds that certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause rather than an undirected process such as natural selection. ID is thus a scientific disagreement with the core claim of evolutionary theory that the apparent design of living systems is an illusion."

http://www.intelligentdesignnetwork.org/

One of many Intellignet Design sites... They all basically claim the same; life is too complex to of "just" happened, so an "intelligence" had to have been the guiding force. Now I ask you once again, if I.D. isn't pushing God as the "intelligent leading cause", then what is it Mr. McDodger? Maybe some Roddenberry like story where a super-advanced alien race seeded the Earth with "life" back in premordial times?

Which religion? If deny Creation as it is written in Scripture I (at least partially) deny God's word and the only way to Heaven is God (Jesus) is it not? But sure, maybe I won't go to Hell for it, but I won't be invited to the Pearly Gates as my reward... Maybe I'll end up in Wisconson?

They encourged looking at "evidence" that is religiously based ... Religion does not belong in schools (with the exception of learning religious history).Twist it any which way you like, but a public school teacher does not have the right to encourage religion in any shape or form.

I wasn't aware that the study of Islam is being "pushed" in public schools; if so, I think that is wrong and teachers encouraging such behavior should also be fired and barred from teaching.

95DevilleNS said:
"The theory of intelligent design (ID) holds that certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause rather than an undirected process such as natural selection. ID is thus a scientific disagreement with the core claim of evolutionary theory that the apparent design of living systems is an illusion."

http://www.intelligentdesignnetwork.org/

One of many Intellignet Design sites... They all basically claim the same; life is too complex to of "just" happened, so an "intelligence" had to have been the guiding force. Now I ask you once again, if I.D. isn't pushing God as the "intelligent leading cause", then what is it Mr. McDodger? Maybe some Roddenberry like story where a super-advanced alien race seeded the Earth with "life" back in premordial times?

Which religion? If deny Creation as it is written in Scripture I (at least partially) deny God's word and the only way to Heaven is God (Jesus) is it not? But sure, maybe I won't go to Hell for it, but I won't be invited to the Pearly Gates as my reward... Maybe I'll end up in Wisconson?

They encourged looking at "evidence" that is religiously based ... Religion does not belong in schools (with the exception of learning religious history).Twist it any which way you like, but a public school teacher does not have the right to encourage religion in any shape or form.

I wasn't aware that the study of Islam is being "pushed" in public schools; if so, I think that is wrong and teachers encouraging such behavior should also be fired and barred from teaching.

What a crock. I've actually heard people like you on this forum pushing the belief that God USED evolution. So Theistic evolution can't be taught in schools? Why not? Isn't theistic evolution one of the vaunted theories of evolution? Theistic evolution mentions God!

And what's wrong with encouraging children to think for themselves? You've just advocated sheer indoctrination. ID doesn't broach the subject of God, but neither does evolution (except theistic evolution!). Both subjects, however, do leave open the question WHICH YOU CAN'T ANSWER: Where did it all come from? I have the answer, you are stubbornly rejecting it because you have been taught that God doesn't exist.

I could do this all day, but this is becoming a pissing contest. If you want, we can adjourn to fight another day.

fossten said:
What a crock. I've actually heard people like you on this forum pushing the belief that God USED evolution. So Theistic evolution can't be taught in schools? Why not? Isn't theistic evolution one of the vaunted theories of evolution? Theistic evolution mentions God!

And what's wrong with encouraging children to think for themselves? You've just advocated sheer indoctrination. ID doesn't broach the subject of God, but neither does evolution (except theistic evolution!). Both subjects, however, do leave open the question WHICH YOU CAN'T ANSWER: Where did it all come from? I have the answer, you are stubbornly rejecting it because you have been taught that God doesn't exist.

I could do this all day, but this is becoming a pissing contest. If you want, we can adjourn to fight another day.

I have NEVER pushed that God used evolution as fact. I have said that I couldn't reject the possibility that God is the beginning of everything(*see below), that is being "intellectually honest". Theistic Evolution runs into a problem, which version of God do "we" use or do we generically just say 'a god'?

Nothing wrong with encouraging children to think for themselves and you haven't answered my question? If not God, what "intelligence" does I.D. propose? *I don't know where it all came from, as I have stated before, that is a question beyond an easy answer and possibly beyond our comprehension. You have 'an' answer, not necessarily 'they' answer. I have never been taught that God doesn't exist, where did you glean that little jewel from? Repeat, Evolution does not dictate that God doesn't exist.

As could I... I'm cool as a cucumber and it's your call.

fossten said:
I don't answer stupid questions. No offense.

But since you're in the mood, why don't you answer a few?

1. Where do the 'Big Bang' scientists get their matter for the 'Big Bang?'
2. How does the explosion occur?
3. How did life actually spark itself out of nothing?
4. How did new genetic information get written, when it has never ever empirically been shown to have happened?

I'm just getting started, but I await your answers with bated breath.

Hi Fossten

Well offense has been taken it was not a stupid question, I have always been courteous and respectful to you and would ask for a little respect in return.

You started this thread with the premiss that life was too complicated to have evolved so it must have been created, citing that a fine timepiece (an analogy for life) cannot evolve so life could not have evolved.

Later in the thread you asked for a member to "explain where the solid matter for the big bang came from, if there isn't a God". The inverse of that question is "Where did God come from to create the solid matter".

I know that you can no more explain to me where God came from as I can explain to you where the solid matter involved in the big bang came from.

Now to your questions; I do not know the answer to any of your questions and have never professed to, as I said in one of your previous "God vs Evolution" threads:-

Dereck said:
I am here now and that is all that matters, I don't care where I came from or how I got here and do not care where I am going, I am just enjoying the ride :)

Regards

Dereck

fossten said:

You creationists are the only ones making the claim that evolution purposely tries to prove that God doesn't exist. Science can NEVER prove or disprove the existence of God. He is left out of the equation quite simply because He cannot be scientifically examined, measured or tested, NOT because science rejects God. Why can't you fathom that?

So-called "theistic evolution" is not a science in itself. It's simply a way to take what we can scientifically measure and test and try to reconcile it with religion. Which is the real crux of the issue as far as creationists are concerned. By clinging desperately to the literal 24-hour, seven-day ("POOF!") creation story, you have no choice but to reject evolution as an explanation.

The thing is, evolutionary theory doesn't address, nor is it necessarily concerned with, "where it all came from". It only tries to explain what happened after life began. Whether the first spark of life appeared due to a chance chemical reaction and lightning strike, or it came about from God stirring the oceans up with His index finger, evolutionary theory is unaffected.

Finally, you need take your own advice and do some research on evolution, because you are woefully ignorant of it's most basic principles, and you demonstrate that in nearly every post. Try reading something on it that isn't written from a creationist point of view and you'll see that much, if not most, of what the creationists claim evolution teaches is simply hogwash. I would try to find some suggested reading, but I'm sure you wouldn't bother, so why should I? By the way, I've extensively read up on ID straight from the Discovery Institute web site and other sources, so I am quite well versed on their theories.

95DevilleNS said:
I have NEVER pushed that God used evolution as fact. I have said that I couldn't reject the possibility that God is the beginning of everything(*see below), that is being "intellectually honest". Theistic Evolution runs into a problem, which version of God do "we" use or do we generically just say 'a god'?

Nothing wrong with encouraging children to think for themselves and you haven't answered my question? If not God, what "intelligence" does I.D. propose? *I don't know where it all came from, as I have stated before, that is a question beyond an easy answer and possibly beyond our comprehension. You have 'an' answer, not necessarily 'they' answer. I have never been taught that God doesn't exist, where did you glean that little jewel from? Repeat, Evolution does not dictate that God doesn't exist.

As could I... I'm cool as a cucumber and it's your call.

You are incorrect. First of all, ID simply presents SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE that the universe was designed. It does NOT push God as fact. Second, evolution DOES deny the existence of God, except with Theistic evolution, which cancels out Neo-Darwinian evolution. Sorry, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

TommyB said:
You creationists are the only ones making the claim that evolution purposely tries to prove that God doesn't exist. Science can NEVER prove or disprove the existence of God. He is left out of the equation quite simply because He cannot be scientifically examined, measured or tested, NOT because science rejects God. Why can't you fathom that?

Your assertion is contradictory to the actions of evolutionists and the education system. If evolution doesn't discuss God or attempt to disprove His existence, then why do the evolutionists blow a tonsil every time somebody wants to discuss alternative theories that might be related to Creationism? That is nothing but a frightened attempt to suppress analytical thought in favor of indoctrination. You are too blind to see it. Evolution is always attempting to dream up new ideas to explain away the existence of God. Evolution and God cannot be reconciled, no matter how hard you try.

And your statement about evolution only explaining what happens after life starts is so full of holes it's laughable. Show me where evolutionary texts admit they don't know where the Big Bang came from. Show me where evolutionary texts acknowledge the possibility of God. Show me where they explain what makes the corn grow, or how a life is created from nothing IN THE PRESENT DAY. You can't, and that will always be your fatal flaw. Your unwillingness to discuss God in conjunction with evolution will always be a crutch. You know nothing about creationism, God, or the Bible. But if you want to tango over issues, bring one up and let's discuss it.

fossten said:
You are incorrect. First of all, ID simply presents SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE that the universe was designed. It does NOT push God as fact. Second, evolution DOES deny the existence of God, except with Theistic evolution, which cancels out Neo-Darwinian evolution. Sorry, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Then for the fourth time, [please] tell me which or what "intelligence" does I.D. propose is the cause of the universe's design if not God?

"You are incorrect". Evolution does not deny the existence of God, please show proof of Evolution saying "There cannot be a god/There is no God" or stop with the false accusations. As I have stated before(page 1 of this thread), it is a false label Creationist try to label evolution with simply because the "Theory of Evolution" does not flow perfectly with Biblical Creation. Talk about licking the plate clean...

Dereck said:
Hi Fossten

Well offense has been taken it was not a stupid question, I have always been courteous and respectful to you and would ask for a little respect in return.

You started this thread with the premiss that life was too complicated to have evolved so it must have been created, citing that a fine timepiece (an analogy for life) cannot evolve so life could not have evolved.

Later in the thread you asked for a member to "explain where the solid matter for the big bang came from, if there isn't a God". The inverse of that question is "Where did God come from to create the solid matter".

I know that you can no more explain to me where God came from as I can explain to you where the solid matter involved in the big bang came from.

Now to your questions; I do not know the answer to any of your questions and have never professed to, as I said in one of your previous "God vs Evolution" threads:-

Regards

Dereck

Dereck,

No offense was meant. I assumed you were baiting me based on your persistence in attempting to get me to answer that question.

I don't have to explain the origin of God. I can tell you what I believe, but what good would that do? God does not have a beginning. God transcends the beginning, is outside space and time. He created time in the beginning. How do you explain eternity? It is no more difficult to explain than to try to explain how long eternal judgment will last for those without Christ. How long is eternity? A million years? A billion? No, those numbers are far too short. Eternity is forever. God is eternal. He is not bound by physical laws, nor is He required to show Himself to any of us. The universe is evidence enough. If we don't accept His existence and meet Him on His terms, we only have ourselves to blame for eternal judgment.

Hi Fossten

I thank you for your reply.

The evolution vs creation bebate is a classic case of the believer not needing proof and for the non-believer there is no proof.

Regards

Dereck

fossten said:
Your assertion is contradictory to the actions of evolutionists and the education system. If evolution doesn't discuss God or attempt to disprove His existence, then why do the evolutionists blow a tonsil every time somebody wants to discuss alternative theories that might be related to Creationism?
Number one, you and I know full well that I.D. was introduced first and foremost as a way to re-invent creationism, a religious rather than scientfic theory, in order to make it legally palatable to the courts. If you won't acknowledge that, then you are either ignorant or a damn liar, and there is no point in continuing this debate.

Second, I.D. has yet to present a single hypothesis that can be tested in a laboratory, which is the starting point for any scientific theory. The best ID can do is try to poke holes in evolutionary theory by focusing on areas where we don't have all the answers yet, and then assert that those unknowns can only be explained by intentional design. Imagine if we applied that principle to every question in every branch of science? That everything we don't currently have an answer for can only be explained by a "higher power"? Should all further scientific research be abandoned? Which brings up my next point...

Why is evolutionary science almost exclusively singled out for attack? Why aren't astronomy, cosmology, physics, geology, etc., etc., etc.? Certainly those branches of science all incorporate theories and principles that go against what's written in the Book of Genesis.

fossten said:
That is nothing but a frightened attempt to suppress analytical thought in favor of indoctrination. You are too blind to see it.
Can you say "projection"?

fossten said:
Evolution is always attempting to dream up new ideas to explain away the existence of God. Evolution and God cannot be reconciled, no matter how hard you try.
Plenty of people have. People of faith. Truth is, it's your particular brand of Christianity that can't be reconciled with evolution.

Does the name Galileo ring a bell? His support for the Copernican theory eventually forced the church to concede that the earth wasn't the center of the universe as clerics had insisted. And yet Christianity survived just fine. And so it will long after it's remaining holders-out accept the fact that the earth is not six thousand years old and that Man didn't come into being with a snap of God's fingers.

fossten said:
And your statement about evolution only explaining what happens after life starts is so full of holes it's laughable. Show me where evolutionary texts admit they don't know where the Big Bang came from.
I already told you, evolutionary theory doesn't deal with the Big Bang. Cosmology does. Show ME where evolutionary texts denies the possibility of God.

fossten said:
Show me where evolutionary texts acknowledge the possibility of God.
Again, it doesn't address God one way or the other, because it can't. That's not the same as denying the existence of God.

fossten said:
Show me where they explain what makes the corn grow, or how a life is created from nothing IN THE PRESENT DAY. You can't, and that will always be your fatal flaw. Your unwillingness to discuss God in conjunction with evolution will always be a crutch.
For the thousandth time, evolution does not deal with the creation of life. Get that through your head.

fossten said:
You know nothing about creationism, God, or the Bible. But if you want to tango over issues, bring one up and let's discuss it.
But of course you do. Two thousand years of debate, struggle, and wars over what is written in the Bible, and you have all the answers. Amazing.

You just fell into your own trap. Show me one ounce of empirical, scientific data that proves evolution exists. You can no more duplicate evolution in the lab than I can creation. So get off your high horse. If it's the starting point for any scientific theory, I'm afraid you're left holding the bag.

You just proved you know nothing about ID. Claiming it only pokes holes (which it does do, by the way, BIG ONES!) in evolutionary theory is only half the story. ID also shows how it is IMPOSSIBLE for certain things to have occurred on their own. As in MATHEMATICAL IMPOSSIBILITIES. Sorry, friend, you are way out of your league here. You really don't know what you're talking about.

As far as astronomy, cosmology, physics, geology - they do nothing but SUPPORT creation and REFUTE evolution. In fact, so do the two LAWS of Thermodynamics. Ever heard of them? No amount of fancy wiggling on the hook will get an evolutionist out of that pickle. The best evolutionary minds have hit that wall and bounced.

Want to stop posturing and go through this point by point? Or do you only have time for ranting and bashing?

fossten said:
You just fell into your own trap. Show me one ounce of empirical, scientific data that proves evolution exists. You can no more duplicate evolution in the lab than I can creation. So get off your high horse. If it's the starting point for any scientific theory, I'm afraid you're left holding the bag.
Evolution predicts not only what will happen in the future, but what to expect to find in the past. As you go further and further back in the fossil record, you expect to see life forms become more and more primitive. That's exactly what is observed. Change has also been observed in the lab in bacteria. Of course, you guys won't be happy unless a turtle gives birth to a kangaroo, but that kind of change will never happen in our lifetimes. Nor does evolutionary theory predict something that ridiculous.

The evidence is abundant. You just choose to dismiss it.

I.D. makes no predictions. It can't. It only tries to eliminate other possibilities.

fossten said:
You just proved you know nothing about ID. Claiming it only pokes holes (which it does do, by the way, BIG ONES!) in evolutionary theory is only half the story. ID also shows how it is IMPOSSIBLE for certain things to have occurred on their own. As in MATHEMATICAL IMPOSSIBILITIES. Sorry, friend, you are way out of your league here. You really don't know what you're talking about.
In other words, I.D. only tries to poke holes in evolution. After all, something happening "on its own" is part of evolutionary theory as you interpret it.

But IMPOSSIBLE? That's quite a statement. You can certainly make a case for something being highly IMPROBABLE, but in the case of biology, proving something to be IMPOSSIBLE is nearly... IMPOSSIBLE.

I assume you're talking about the formula that some creationist came up with that tried to show the odds against life forming, by multiplying various factors such as the number of planets in the universe, the distance from the sun to the earth, all they way down to the odds of complex molecules forming by random chance. First of all, the numbers he used are estimates at best, complete guesses at worst. Second of all, even if it were correct, it has no bearing on evolution at all. If you've got something else in mind, present it.

As for ID poking holes in evolution, even if that were true, which it isn't, simply proving another theory wrong does not make a theory itself.

fossten said:
As far as astronomy, cosmology, physics, geology - they do nothing but SUPPORT creation and REFUTE evolution.
How so? All of those branches of science dispute the 24 hour, six-day creation by a long shot. Astronomy and cosmology show that the universe is billions of years old. Geology and physics show the earth to be billions of years old. If you want to assert that God triggered/created the Big Bang however, I have no problem with that.

fossten said:
In fact, so do the two LAWS of Thermodynamics. Ever heard of them? No amount of fancy wiggling on the hook will get an evolutionist out of that pickle. The best evolutionary minds have hit that wall and bounced.
Another creationist myth. The second law of thermodynamics applies to closed systems. The earth is not a closed system.

fossten said:
Want to stop posturing and go through this point by point? Or do you only have time for ranting and bashing?
Me? Ranting? Posturing? Good grief.

"You just proved you know nothing about ID"
"Sorry, friend, you are way out of your league here. You really don't know what you're talking about. "

Who's posturing and ranting? Not me.

I'm still waiting to know which/what "intelligence" does I.D. propose is the cause of the universe's design if not God?

and of course, proof of evolution saying "There cannot be a god/There is no God"

95DevilleNS said:
Then for the fourth time, [please] tell me which or what "intelligence" does I.D. propose is the cause of the universe's design if not God?

"You are incorrect". Evolution does not deny the existence of God, please show proof of Evolution saying "There cannot be a god/There is no God" or stop with the false accusations. As I have stated before(page 1 of this thread), it is a false label Creationist try to label evolution with simply because the "Theory of Evolution" does not flow perfectly with Biblical Creation. Talk about licking the plate clean...
I don't understand how it can be argued that evolution can coexists with "God" (certainly not God of the Bible). The account of creation given in the Bible clearly has no correlation whatsoever with evolution--Obviously, this is why evolutionists don't want the Bible's creation account in the classroom.

Evolution is based purely on a naturalistic (meaning devoid of a supernatural force) approach to the formation and "evolution" of life. Evolution denies an active role for God since it presupposes that life spontaneously erupted from non-living chemicals by way of some unknown, 'unconscious', mechanistic, natural process, and complex life forms evolved by 'random' cellular mutations and natural selection.

With all due respect, it is utter nonsense to say that evolution does not deny the existence of God or even a supernatural force when the theory itself lends no room for either.

Like I've said, it only denies a role for God if you take a literal interpretation of Genesis. Are you one of those who takes each and every word in the Bible literally? Is there room for interpretation anywhere? If there is, then why do you single out Genesis as one of the books that absolutely must be taken literally? On the other hand, if you believe every word is the literal truth, then you have a lot of explaining to do.

The fact that evolution relies on naturalistic explanations doesn't preclude God, since nature is one of God's creations. He created all of the natural laws (physics, chemistry, etc.), just not in the time frame you imagine. The author(s) of Genesis couldn't possibly be expected to understand, let alone explain, the mechanics of Creation. Even if they were transcribing the direct words of God, they were writing for an audience that wouldn't have been able to understand it either.

MAC1 said:
I don't understand how it can be argued that evolution can coexists with "God" (certainly not God of the Bible). The account of creation given in the Bible clearly has no correlation whatsoever with evolution--Obviously, this is why evolutionists don't want the Bible's creation account in the classroom.

Evolution is based purely on a naturalistic (meaning devoid of a supernatural force) approach to the formation and "evolution" of life. Evolution denies an active role for God since it presupposes that life spontaneously erupted from non-living chemicals by way of some unknown, 'unconscious', mechanistic, natural process, and complex life forms evolved by 'random' cellular mutations and natural selection.

With all due respect, it is utter nonsense to say that evolution does not deny the existence of God or even a supernatural force when the theory itself lends no room for either.
If you are going to plagarize, you should at least cite your souces.

TommyB said:
The fact that evolution relies on naturalistic explanations doesn't preclude God, since nature is one of God's creations. He created all of the natural laws (physics, chemistry, etc.), just not in the time frame you imagine. The author(s) of Genesis couldn't possibly be expected to understand, let alone explain, the mechanics of Creation. Even if they were transcribing the direct words of God, they were writing for an audience that wouldn't have been able to understand it either.

So you believe in Creation all of a sudden? You need to make up your mind. You are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

Since you mentioned astronomy, read this:

How old are Saturn’s rings?
by David M. Harris

The rings around Saturn make it one of the most beautiful telescopic objects in the sky. Famous Italian astronomer Galileo admired the planet almost 400 years ago, and wrote of its ‘peculiar appearance’ in 1610. But it was 1655 before the beautiful ring structure around Saturn was identified—by Dutch astronomer Christian Huygens.

Since then, numerous researchers have added to our understanding of Saturn’s rings. In the 1980s, American space vessels Voyager 1 and 2 took close-up photographs of Saturn. They showed many hundreds of rings around our second-largest planet. The halo of rings is so enormous that 20 planet Earths side by side would still not quite reach the rings' width of more than 255,000 kilometres (160,000 miles).

Many astronomers have been puzzled about how the intricate details of Saturn’s rings could remain in place for billions of years—if indeed the solar system is that old. Even some evolutionist astronomers cannot believe the rings are as old as the ‘evolutionary’ age claimed for the solar system (about five billion years). They admit that the rings cannot be more than 100 million years old, so they propose that they formed from the break-up of a small moon that once circled Saturn.

Astronomer Wing-Huan Ip, from the Max Planck Institute for Astronomy, looked into the conditions necessary for a moon to break up. He says the combined mass of Saturn’s rings would amount to a moon at least 100 kilometres wide (Earth’s moon is 3,473 kilometres wide). Ip says that such a moon could be shattered by a comet only two kilometres across. Yet Ip calculates that such a ring-forming collision would not happen in 30 billion years. This is about twice the age claimed for the universe by most evolutionists.

Laurance R. Doyle (NASA) of Ames Research Center, and colleagues also support a relatively young age for Saturn's rings. They examined 14 images taken by Voyager’s cameras to find the reflectivity of Saturn’s brightest ring. They found that the particles forming the ring are most likely coated with fine, dust-like ice. They say that micro-meteoroids would gradually erode and darken the particle surfaces. Even if the grains began as pure ice they would be blackened after only 100 million years. ‘If the rings have existed… since the origin of the solar system’, they say, ‘they should be much darker than they presently are.’

From these claims, the problems for evolutionists are these:

Saturn is believed to be billions of years old, but the present condition of its rings means they can't be more than 100 million years old.
The universe is believed to be about 15 billion years old, but the circumstances which might form Saturn's rings could not possibly happen in this time.
It should be noted that if Saturn has had rings since the solar system was formed, this undermines belief in the long ages proposed by evolutionists.

The evidence is consistent with the creationist belief that Saturn and its rings were created recently.

(This article is based on information in Sky and Telescope, July 1989, pp 10-11.)

David M. Harris graduated from Manchester University with an honours degree in physics and electronics. He runs a computer business in Canada, was former president of Creation Science Association of Ontario, and is a member of Mensa and various scientific groups.

You either purposely or ignorantly took what he said out of context... No one can say for certain how the universe began, boil it all down to it's most basic (e.g. "Big Bang") and "we" still need a beginning(where,what and how about the "Big Bang" or therwise), it is possible that is where God comes in, but it is also possible God doesn't follow the format you believe in an exact manner (i.e. "On the first day..").

However, Evolution does not deal with that subject.

DLS8K said:
If you are going to plagarize, you should at least cite your souces.
Why don't you point out to what I plagiarized. I can't find the paragraph or idea you contend was plagiarized. Moreover, what is stated in the paragraph you bolded is of general knowledge. If your going to accuse someone of plagiarizing at least get your facts straight, and at least take the time to spell the word correctly. :rolleyes:

TommyB said:
Like I've said, it only denies a role for God if you take a literal interpretation of Genesis. Are you one of those who takes each and every word in the Bible literally? Is there room for interpretation anywhere? If there is, then why do you single out Genesis as one of the books that absolutely must be taken literally? On the other hand, if you believe every word is the literal truth, then you have a lot of explaining to do.

This God role in evolution is referred to as "theistic evolution." To say that God could have had an active role in evolution contradicts its very definition since evolution is based on random 'mutations' and 'natural selection' over hundreds of millions of years. In other words, God would have to control all the circumstances surrounding the evolutionary chain of events, including what mutation takes place and when. Moreover, God would have to assume control of all other facets and forces involved with evolution, including Earth's geography, the weather, volcanic events and, most importantly, which life form lives or dies at a given point in time in order that the living can propagate the next and slightly more evolved generation.

Because evolution relies purely on unpredictable random events it is simply a ridiculous proposition to contend that it somehow leaves the door open to the possibility of God having merely an active role instead of the only role.

MAC1 said:
This God role in evolution is referred to as "theistic evolution." To say that God could have had an active role in evolution contradicts its very definition since evolution is based on random 'mutations' and 'natural selection' over hundreds of millions of years. In other words, God would have to control all the circumstances surrounding the evolutionary chain of events, including what mutation takes place and when. Moreover, God would have to assume control of all other facets and forces involved with evolution, including Earth's geography, the weather, volcanic events and, most importantly, which life form lives or dies at a given point in time in order that the living can propagate the next and slightly more evolved generation.

Because evolution relies purely on unpredictable random events it is simply a ridiculous proposition to contend that it somehow leaves the door open to the possibility of God having merely an active role instead of the only role.

You are exactly right. Also importantly, theistic evolution allows death before sin, which is contrary to the Bible. It is impossible to reconcile the Bible with evolution. It is, however, possible to reconcile the Bible with science, and this can be done repeatedly.

Argument: Evolution is compatible with Christian religion

Evolutionists say, ‘Evolution is not necessarily antithetical to Christianity—science and religion just deal with different realms of knowledge.’

by Jonathan Sarfati, with Michael Matthews

First published in Refuting Evolution 2
Chapter 2

Though the media love to attack creation as unscientific, they’re too canny to appear blatantly anti-Christian. In fact, they typically downplay the rabidly atheistic faith of many leading evolutionists. The PBS series ‘Evolution,’ for example, invited several virulent atheists, such as Stephen Jay Gould and Eugenie Scott,1 to speak on their program; but it breathed not a word about their strongly held religious views and open assaults on Christianity. Such outspoken atheism does not play well in religious America.

Is Darwinism anti-Christian?

The opening episode of the Evolution series is aptly titled ‘Darwin’s Dangerous Idea,’ presumably inspired by Daniel Dennett’s book of the same name. Dennett argues that Darwin should be ranked ahead of Newton and Einstein as a scientific genius, because he united the disparate world of purposelessness and meaninglessness with the world of purpose and meaning. ‘Evolution’s’ producers acknowledge that Darwin’s idea posed a ‘threat’ to the established views of his day, but they omit Dennett’s famous insight that Darwinism was ‘universal acid,’ eating through every traditional idea, especially ‘meaning coming from on high and being ordained from the top down.’ Presumably that would have alerted the Christian viewers too soon.

Annie’s death and the problem of evil

PBS 1 dramatizes a turning point in the spiritual life of Charles Darwin—the sickness and death of his beloved daughter, Annie. Although the series does not spell it out, Darwin’s biographer James Moore makes it clear that this tragedy destroyed the truth of Christianity in Darwin’s mind. How could there be a good God if He allowed this to happen? Instead, Darwin decided that Annie was an unfortunate victim of the laws of nature, i.e. she lost the struggle for existence.

Annie’s death raised serious questions about God’s goodness, but the prevailing view of Darwin’s day—that the earth was old and had long been filled with death and violence—provided no adequate answers. Alas, the church adopted this prevailing view, which placed fossils millions of years before Adam. This view entails that death and suffering were around for millions of years before Adam, and yet God called His acts of creation ‘very good.’ Such a view evidently didn’t appeal to Darwin. It’s sad that many church leaders today still promote theistic evolution (the belief that God divinely ordained evolution—the struggle for survival and death—as His method of creation) and progressive creation (the belief that the ‘days’ of creation in Genesis 1 refer to long ages of death and suffering). Both of these compromise views2 have the insuperable problem of allowing death before sin. However, the proponents of these views claim that they are more acceptable to unbelievers than the literal Genesis view, failing to realize that this battle was already lost in Darwin’s day.

Yet the Bible is very clear the earth has a ‘young’ age (i.e. about 6,000 years), and the events described in Genesis 1–3 perfectly explain how God could be good and yet the earth be filled with death and suffering. The Bible says that God created everything ‘very good’ (Gen. 1:31), whereas death is an intruder, called ‘the last enemy’ (1 Cor. 15:26). God did not introduce death and suffering millions of years ago—as many church leaders were saying in Darwin’s time—but instead, suffering was the direct result of Adam’s sin (Gen. 2:17, 3:19; Rom. 5:12–19, 8:20–22; 1 Cor. 15:21–22). To any Bible believer, this truth entails that the fossil record—a record of death, disease, and suffering—must date after Adam’s sin.

In the end, Darwin concluded that Christianity is a ‘damnable doctrine’ because his unbelieving father would be condemned to hell, but of course the PBS episode doesn’t mention this! It does, however, show Darwin’s older brother Erasmus (named after their evolutionary grandfather) mocking hymn singing in church.

Kenneth Miller–a good Christian and an evolutionist?

While PBS 1 attempted to mute Darwin’s obvious anti-Christianity, it prominently featured Kenneth Miller, who claims to be ‘an orthodox Catholic and an orthodox Darwinist.’ He wrote a book, Finding Darwin’s God, an anti-creationist polemic, to try to reconcile God and evolution. Miller has had a long history of joining forces with leading humanists against creation, and his book is full of straw-man arguments, misinformation, and outright deception.3 The last sentences in his book are revealing: ‘What kind of God do I believe in? … I believe in Darwin’s God.’4 Since Darwin was anti-Christian, as shown above, this is not the God any Christian can believe in. But PBS 1 shows Miller attending mass and taking communion, hoping that this show of outward religiosity will convince people who prefer outward appearances to inward convictions (cf. Matt. 23:25–28).

Religion and science–‘non-overlapping magisteria’?

Despite Darwin’s obvious anti-Christianity, evolutionists like to say that Darwin didn’t intend to disparage ideas of God. In fact, PBS 1 quotes evolutionist Stephen Jay Gould saying so. This is consistent with Gould’s widely publicized claims that religion and science are ‘non-overlapping magisteria’ (NOMA).5 That is, science deals with facts of the real world, while religion deals with ethics, values, morals, and what it means to be human.

However, this is based on the philosophically fallacious ‘fact-value distinction,’ and is really an anti-Christian claim. For example, the resurrection of Christ is an essential ‘value’ of the Christian faith (1 Cor. 15:12–19), but it must also be a fact of history to be of value—it had to pass the ‘testable’ Bible prophecy that the tomb would be empty on the third day; and it had to impinge on science by demonstrating the power of God over so-called ‘natural laws’ that dead bodies decay, and do not return to life. Christians should be aware that this is not only a theoretical argument about the anti-Christian implications of NOMA—Gould openly dismissed John’s historical narrative of Jesus’ post-resurrection appearance to doubting Thomas as a ‘moral tale.’6

This NOMA distinction really teaches that religion is just in one’s head, which seems to dull the senses of many Christians more than an overt declaration that Christianity is false. So NOMA is even more insidious.

Christians should not fall for this false distinction between facts and morality. Christ is the Lord of the universe, and the Bible is accurate on everything it touches on, not just faith and morality, but history, science, and geography, also. So Christians should not give up any part of the ‘real world’ to those with a materialistic agenda—especially when atheists are happy to let their own faith influence their science, by promoting evolution.

Gould’s real anti-Christian sentiments are shown by his 1990 lecture at Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand. The whole theme of his lecture was that Darwin deliberately tried to counter the argument from design, and Gould speculated that this was because FitzRoy had browbeaten him with this argument. Gould also addressed the popular notion that evolution can be reconciled with religion and purpose because evolution is supposedly ‘progress.’ Gould slammed this idea, saying that evolution was just a blind, purposeless struggle for existence.7 It seems that science and ‘God’ are compatible only when trying to pacify concerned Christians, but at other times Gould makes it clear that there’s no room for God, at least in the ‘real world.’

None other than Kenneth Miller, who was impressed by Gould’s NOMA idea, when he saw documentation of Gould’s true feelings about belief in God, conceded that creationists had a point when they accused Gould of double talk:

Some wonder if Gould, in his heart, really believes these words. Late in 1997, Phillip Johnson described Gould’s essay as ‘a tissue of half-truths aimed at putting the religious people to sleep, or luring them into a ‘dialogue’ on terms set by the materialists.’ Had Johnson seen Gould on television a year later, his sense of Gould’s duplicity might have been dramatically confirmed:

Interviewer: Gould disputes the religious claim that man is at the center of the universe. The idea of a science-religious dialogue, he says, is ‘sweet’ but unhelpful.

[Speaking to Gould]: Why is it sweet?

Gould: Because it gives comfort to many people. I think that notion that we are all in the bosom of Abraham or are in God’s embracing love is—look, it’s a tough life and if you can delude yourself into thinking that there’s all some warm and fuzzy meaning to it all, it’s enormously comforting. But I do think it’s just a story we tell ourselves.

Hard to see how something Gould regards as ‘just a story we tell ourselves’ could also be an obligatory step in ‘the attainment of wisdom.’8

On PBS 1, Stephen Jay Gould said that Darwinism answers who we are, as far as science can answer that question. Boston University biologist Chris Schneider said that evolution ‘stirs the soul.’ The episode ends with a comment by Darwin’s biographer, James Moore: ‘Darwin’s vision of nature was, I believe, fundamentally a religious vision.’ In the light of this, it’s amazing that the series persists in claiming that evolution is ‘science’ rather than ‘religion.’

Deep time—the truth seeps out

Despite cunning efforts to deceive people that evolution and Christianity are compatible, the truth eventually leaks out. Probably everyone has seen one of the cute illustrations that show man’s tiny place on the ‘yardstick of time.’ In PBS 2, for example, Neil Shubin, a paleontologist from the University of Chicago, shares his version of the story. He claims that the earth is 4.5 billion years old; and to show how insignificant humans are, he scales this time to one hour. Then he claims that animals existed only in the last 10 minutes, while humans appeared only in the last 100th of a second.

Despite the PBS series’ claim to be respectful of Christianity, this is one of many examples of the direct contradiction between evolution/billions of years and Christ’s teachings. Jesus says in Mark 10:6, ‘But from the beginning of the creation, God made them male and female.’ This statement is consistent with Christ’s belief in a literal interpretation of Genesis, which teaches that the earth was created about 4,000 years before He spoke those words. Adam and Eve were created on day 6, which on the scale of 4,000 years is almost indistinguishable from the beginning. But this time frame is diametrically opposed to Shubin’s illustration, which has man appearing almost at the end, not the beginning.’9

What about God?

‘What about God?’ is the title of the final episode (7) in the PBS series, ‘Evolution.’ To the very end, the producers tried to obscure the obvious—that evolution and biblical Christianity are diametrically opposed. Actually, they hardly discussed biblical Christianity, but interviewed people who believe that ‘God’ used evolution. As is typical of most evolutionists, they acknowledge biblical Christianity and even interview representatives of it, but they omit the strongest case of the best defenders, and give much airtime to those who haven’t the faintest idea about defending biblical Christianity. But the PBS program was honest about one thing: it clearly showed examples of the baneful effects of compromise among Christians, and these incidents should raise alarms among pastors that they have an obligation to exhort their flock to be ready with answers, as the apostle Peter commanded in 1 Peter 3:15.

Concealing the truth about ‘fundamentalist’ concerns

The PBS narrator (Liam Neeson) talks about the views of ‘Christian fundamentalists like Ken Ham’ (president of Answers in Genesis in the United States), but he never defines the word, of course. Presumably, the producers hope to exploit modern connotations of the word, and their attempt at name-calling received an unexpected bonus after the 2001 terrorist attack against the United States, attributed to Muslim ‘fundamentalists.’ But this modern usage of the term reflects ignorance of its original honorable meaning:

Historically, fundamentalism has been used to identify one holding to the five fundamentals of the faith adopted by the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church of the USA in 1910. The five fundamentals were the miracles of Christ, the virgin birth of Christ, the substitutionary atonement of Christ, the bodily resurrection of Christ, and the inspiration of Scripture.10

Of course, Mr Ham and AiG as a whole uncompromisingly affirm fundamentalism in its historic sense.

The PBS narrator scornfully dismisses Mr Ham as one of those who teach a literal interpretation of the creation account in Genesis. This is a common tactic among evolutionists, who imply that there is something unusual about taking Genesis literally, but they completely ignore what ‘fundamentalists’ teach about interpreting historical narrative as historical narrative, interpreting poetry as poetry, and making distinctions between them.11

The Hebrew grammar of Genesis shows that Genesis 1–11 has the same literary style as Genesis 12–50, which no one doubts is historical narrative. For example, the early chapters of Genesis frequently use the construction called the ‘waw consecutive,’ usually an indicator of historical sequence. Genesis 1–11 also has several other trademarks of historical narrative, such as ‘accusative particles’ that mark the objects of verbs, and terms that are often carefully defined. And the Hebrew verb grammar of Genesis 1 has a particular feature that fits exactly what would be expected if it were representing a series of past events. That is, only the first verb is perfect, while the verbs that continue the narrative are imperfect. In Genesis 1, the first verb is bara (create) which is perfect, while the subsequent verbs that move the narrative forward are imperfect. But parallelisms, which are characteristic of Hebrew poetry, are absent from Genesis, except where people are cited, e.g., Genesis 4:23. If Genesis were truly poetic, it would use parallelisms throughout.12

The mention of ‘creation accounts’ is simply a hint at the defunct ‘documentary hypothesis,’ which argued that Genesis was pieced together from several contradictory sources.13 The charge of contradiction between Genesis 1 and 2 is amply resolved by noting that Genesis 1:1–2:4a is a summary outline of the whole creation, while Genesis 2:4b and the rest of the chapter focuses on the creation of male and female, so they are complementary rather than contradictory.14

PBS 7 showed a small segment of an interview with Ken Ham, who says that evolution is an ‘evil’ to be fought and points out the conflicts between the Bible and secular ‘science’ that deals with origins. Then the program showed snippets from a free seminar Mr Ham gave, but deceitfully shows money changing hands at the same time as it shows people entering the auditorium. But the money was either for books, videos, etc., or for another seminar (most AiG meetings are free). The PBS program presumably wished to present Christian ministries as ‘in it for the money.’

When PBS showed Mr Ham presenting arguments against evolution at a seminar, the omissions were conspicuous. Cameramen were present for the whole seminar, and they also recorded a two-hour interview with him. But the final cut omitted Mr Ham’s discussion of the key problem for all proponents of evolution or billions of years: the problem of death and suffering before Adam’s sin. Ken Ham also presented extensive scientific criticisms of evolution in both the seminar and the interview, but these criticisms were omitted. For example, he showed that natural selection and variation, e.g., breeding of dogs, merely involves sorting and loss of genetic information, while goo-to-you evolution requires increase of information.

Presenting this information wouldn’t suit the PBS propagandists for two reasons: In general, they wished to portray all objections to evolution as ‘religious.’ Of course, they had to ignore the many scientists who are creationists, as well as most of the founders of modern science. Specifically, these points blow most of the PBS program’s ‘evidence’ sky high.

Christian college compromise causes confusion!

The damage that evolution has caused on college campuses is legendary, and it’s not difficult to cite examples of children from Christian homes who have turned away from their childhood faith after attending college—even ‘Christian’ college. The final episode of the PBS series gives a striking example from Wheaton College, which is said to be a conservative Christian college. According to Wheaton’s website:

Wheaton College selects candidates for admission from those who evidence a vital Christian experience, high academic ability, moral character, personal integrity, social concern, and the desire to pursue a liberal arts education as defined in the aims and objectives of the College.

This college is the show-pony of the PBS series, showing viewers how people can mix ‘God’ and evolution. But one must wonder how the school defines a ‘vital Christian experience’ since their professors evidently don’t believe the Bible, the only source of information about Christ. At one point in the PBS series, it shows a teacher on a school field trip who proclaims that a water hole is 33 million years old.

There was quite a stir back in 1961 when Prof. Walter Hearn promoted evolution at Wheaton. As a result of this controversy, now the school apparently insists that professors sign a statement that Adam was a historical figure.

But the PBS clips make it abundantly clear that this statement is a dead letter. If the professors themselves ‘support’ this apparent anti-evolution statement, they have no qualms about inviting visiting lecturers who don’t believe the biblical account of creation and even attack it.

One example is Keith Miller, who claimed on the PBS program to be an ‘ardent evangelical Christian.’ He asserted, without evidence, that there are lots of transitional forms. When questioned, he said that God chose Adam and Eve out of other humans that existed. This just shows that the word ‘evangelical,’ like ‘Christian,’ has become debased currency. At one time it meant someone who believed the Reformation (and biblical) doctrines of the inerrancy and sufficiency of Scripture. This is not always so nowadays, and certainly doesn’t apply to Miller.

Genesis 2:7 teaches that the first man was made from dust and became alive when God breathed the breath of life into him. This rules out the idea that Adam was already a living primate of some kind when God breathed on him. Eve was made from Adam’s rib (Gen. 2:21–24). Luke’s genealogy of Christ traces His lineage (through Mary) all the way back to Adam, then directly to God, not via any ape-like creatures or pond scum (Luke 3:23–38). Further, 1 Corinthians 15:45 states that Adam was the ‘first man,’ and Eve was so named because she was to become the ‘mother of all living’ (Gen. 3:20). Also, Paul’s teachings about male and female roles in 1 Corinthians 11:8–9 and 1 Timothy 2:13–14 explicitly support the historical order of creation in Genesis 2:21–23.

The sad thing about Wheaton is the admission—shown on the final PBS episode—that most people become more confused about their Christian faith while they attend this ‘Christian’ college. The students wonder whether there’s a place for God if evolution is true, and rightly so.15

This confusion should hardly be surprising—Billy Graham’s former colleague Charles Templeton totally apostatized after attending the compromising Princeton Theological Seminary.16 Answers in Genesis has received several testimonies of people whose faith was shipwrecked by compromising ‘Christians’ but later restored with the help of AiG and other Christian ministries that present a consistently biblical approach to origins.17

Seeds of apostasy

In contrast to the claims of evolutionists, evolution is a direct assault on the authority of Scripture, and it is the seed of most modern apostasy. Exhibit A is Nathan Baird, a geology major who stars in the final PBS episode. He had a creationist upbringing, sort of, but now from his lofty height at Wheaton he proclaims that most Christians dismiss evolution because they don’t understand it. Now he thinks that God used the big bang and evolution, and infused a spirit supernaturally into some humans. He proclaimed: ‘God is bigger than the box I’ve put him in.’

This slogan is hardly original with Nathan. Rank apostates like retired Episcopal Bishop John Shelby Spong18 also spout such vacuous tripe. But creationists don’t put God into any box; rather, they are humble enough to believe what God has revealed about himself in the Bible, including when and how He created. It’s people like Nathan who put God into a box of their own making, by presuming that God would not have intervened in His creation in a different way from the way He currently upholds it (Col. 1:16–17; Hebrews 1:3—passages referring to Jesus Christ, the God-man). They also, in effect, presume that God was unable to communicate in clear language about the history of the universe.

Lack of apologetics

Nathan’s upbringing is sadly typical of the lack of apologetics teaching in the churches. Many Christians have no idea how to defend their faith. The most serious problem is that parents do not have answers to their children’s questions.

PBS 7 showed Nathan’s family outside having lunch. Nathan’s father correctly believed that evolution was a frontal assault on Genesis 1 and his son’s faith, but he didn’t seem very well informed about the issues (or else his most telling arguments were edited out, as with AiG). Nathan’s father couldn’t answer some of his son’s facile arguments, and he asked his mother to bail him out.

Nathan’s mother correctly pointed out that unwavering adherence to the Bible was a common factor in church growth. She also recounted the advice of a friend: ‘Don’t send Nathan to Wheaton—it could destroy his faith.’ One might argue whether a person who ‘loses his/her faith’ truly had saving faith to begin with (1 John 2:19), but this incident shows that Wheaton had a reputation for undermining students’ faith. It’s a shame that Nathan’s mother didn’t follow this advice before forking out a fortune to a college that doesn’t teach what it claims. The money may as well be spent on a secular college, because at least their students know what to expect. It’s fortunate for Wheaton and many other ‘Christian’ colleges that they can’t be sued for false advertising.

Darwinian evolution truly was a ‘dangerous idea,’ one that consciously undermined faith in God and belief in the Bible, replacing it with skepticism and a materialist worldview. It’s the height of hypocrisy for atheists like Gould to claim that evolution is ‘compatible’ with Christianity.

References and notes
D. Batten, A Who’s Who of Evolutionists, Creation 20(1):32 (December 1997–February 1998 ).
See Q&A: Creation Compromises for more information.
For a thorough refutation of Miller’s book, see J. Woodmorappe and J. Sarfati, Mutilating Miller, TJ 15(3): 29–35, 2001.
Kenneth R. Miller, Finding Darwin’s God (New York, NY: Cliff Street Books, 1999).
S.J. Gould, Rocks of Ages: Science and Religion in the Fullness of Life (New York, NY: Ballantine, 1999).
Gould, Rocks of Ages, p. 14.
For an accurate account of Gould’s lecture, see C. Wieland, Darwin’s real message: have you missed it? Creation 14(4):16–19 (September–November 1992).
Miller, Finding Darwin’s God.
There are also many scientific problems with any assertions that the earth looks old. The conflicts between billions of years with the words of Christ and true science are well outlined in C. Wieland, The Earth: how old does it look? Creation 23(1):8–13 (December 2000–February 2001).
P. Enns, Moody Handbook of Theology (Chicago, IL: Moody Press, 1989), p. 613.
See R. Grigg, Should Genesis be taken literally? Creation 16(1):38–41 (December 1933–February 1994).
W.C. Kaiser Jr., The Literary Form of Genesis 1–11, in J.B. Payne, New Perspectives on the Old Testament (Waco, TX: Word, Inc., 1970), p. 59–60.
The documentary hypothesis is amply refuted by R. Grigg, Did Moses really write Genesis? Creation 20(4):43–46 (September–November 1998).
See D. Batten, Genesis contradictions? Creation 18(4):44–45 (September–November 1996).
See John Woodmorappe, The horse and the tractor: why God and evolution don’t mix, Creation 22(4):53 (September–November 2000).
See K. Ham and S. McKeever, The slippery slide to unbelief: a famous evangelist goes from hope to hopelessness, Creation 22(3):8–13 (June–August 2000).
See Sonia’s Testimony: Creation Magazine opened my eyes to the Gospel! and A testimony: ‘Joel Galvin’.
See M. Bott and J. Sarfati, What’s Wrong with Bishop Spong?, Apologia 4(1):3–27, 1995.

Here's the first problem:
fossten said:
(This article is based on information in Sky and Telescope, July 1989, pp 10-11.)
A ton of discoveries have been made since 1989 to say the least.

And the second problem:
fossten said:
was former president of Creation Science Association of Ontario

Also, I'm glad the author bio noted that he is a member of Mensa. LOL

Okay, where to start...

This continuing labelling of any branch of science that might possibly deal with the fact that the earth is over 6000 years old as "evolutionist" is getting downright annoying. There is no such thing as an "evolutionist astronomer", at least as it pertains to Darwin. Same with geologists, physicists, chemists, plumbers, or convenience store clerks. Get that through your head because it just makes you look foolish.

Whether Saturn's rings are 10 billion years old or a hundred years old have no bearing on the age of the solar system, because the rings' age and Saturn's age are independent of one another. It's like claiming that the earth can only be 100 years old because that's how old the oak tree in your back yard is.

I'll have to continue this at a later time....

TommyB said:
Here's the first problem:
A ton of discoveries have been made since 1989 to say the least.

Please list your "ton of discoveries" that refute this, don't just assert it. That's YOUR problem, not mine.
TommyB said:
And the second problem:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fossten
was former president of Creation Science Association of Ontario

I see, so you automatically discredit somebody because they believe in Creation? Talk about having your head in the sand. Forget the guy's credentials, he's a lunatic, right? Your argument has no scientific basis, but is pejorative in nature, and is therefore logically flawed. Why should I be surprised, though? Anytime there has been a debate in recent years by a CREATIONIST and EVOLUTIONIST, the EVOLUTIONIST has always resorted to personal attacks rather than debating the merits, because they lose otherwise.

TommyB said:
Okay, where to start...

This continuing labelling of any branch of science that might possibly deal with the fact that the earth is over 6000 years old as "evolutionist" is getting downright annoying. There is no such thing as an "evolutionist astronomer", at least as it pertains to Darwin. Same with geologists, physicists, chemists, plumbers, or convenience store clerks. Get that through your head because it just makes you look foolish.

Talk about foolish, look at what you've been doing, you people who use the words "creationist" and "religious" and "religion" to attack anybody who doesn't believe that we came from freaking monkeys. What a crock of crap, you hypocrite. I guess it's annoying to hear those terms used on you, but it's okay for you to use them on others? Your own paragraph totally contradicts and refutes your earlier statement above, where you identified the only problem with the article as the fact that he is a Creationist. Forget that he has honors degrees in physics and electronics, he's wrong because he's a creationist! :bowrofl: Who looks foolish now? You just shot yourself in the foot.
TommyB said:
Whether Saturn's rings are 10 billion years old or a hundred years old have no bearing on the age of the solar system, because the rings' age and Saturn's age are independent of one another. It's like claiming that the earth can only be 100 years old because that's how old the oak tree in your back yard is.

I'll have to continue this at a later time....

Now that is just an absurd argument. If the universe was formed the way YOU EVOLUTIONISTS believe, there must have been uniformity of age. There's no other way to slice time, Mr. H.G. Wells. Nice try. Otherwise, explain how Saturn itself was formed AFTER the Big Bang. :bowrofl:

Members online

No members online now.
Back