D5 is dead...long live D4

ToeCutter

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
When I put the shifter in D5 the display on the dash still says D4 and the car will not shift into fifth gear...granted, driving around town in D4 is a more rewarding experience but I want my fifth gear back dammit....

when I put the shifter in SST I can access fifth gear so it's not the tranny....I checked the fuse for the overdrive cancel and it's not blown

other than not being able to get into D5, the tranny shifts perfectly

the other thing is my AdvanceTrac button no longer pings when I press it (but it does light up)and the message center doesn't indicate whether it's armed or not

I'm thinking the problem is in the shifter itself...searched and came up with peeps blowing fuses and diodes and micro-switches in the shifter

I looked in my wiring diagrams and guess what... the D4/D5 switch and Advancetrac button signal (but not the button light) are fed by one fuse! F2.15 a 5A fuse in the central junction box. I'm guessing your fuse is blown for some reason.

I looked in my wiring diagrams and guess what... the D4/D5 switch and Advancetrac button signal (but not the button light) are fed by one fuse! F2.15 a 5A fuse in the central junction box. I'm guessing your fuse is blown for some reason.

Owlman..I checked fuse 15 under the kick panel in the cabin and it's not blown

Hmm, I guess you could check if you have power at the pink/orange wire that joegr mentioned in the other thread.

well...the AdvanceTrac is working again..in fact it probably was working the whole time....the low fuel warning was on and it seems it takes precedence over AdvanceTrac on or off in the message center

so now...gotta find out why the gear selector won't recognize D5

well...the AdvanceTrac is working again..in fact it probably was working the whole time....the low fuel warning was on and it seems it takes precedence over AdvanceTrac on or off in the message center

so now...gotta find out why the gear selector won't recognize D5

It seems then that the most likely thing would be a failed micro-switch.

that's what I'm leaning toward joe...thanx for the input

the Burgess micro switch for this app seems to be out of production... I'll cross reference and see what I come up with

so I'm ready to rip the center console out this morning to get at the micro-switch...but I needed to take a run to work to pick up some paperwork..on my way there D5 just decided to start workin again

..............this car is possesed....I'm gonna start calling her Christine

10385289_gal.jpg

In SST mode, my car will go from 2nd to 3rd no problem, but it will not go into 4th all of the time, only when it feels like it. I don't use it anyway so I haven't really looked into it.

so I'm ready to rip the center console out this morning to get at the micro-switch...but I needed to take a run to work to pick up some paperwork..on my way there D5 just decided to start workin again

..............this car is possesed....I'm gonna start calling her Christine

10385289_gal.jpg

I had a similar issue years ago. The contacts could either be dirty or a diode in the shifter could be bad/going bad.

My D4 would intermittently not engage; until it failed completely. Turned out to be a diode in the shifter itself. I tried to get the dealer to replace the shifter (under warranty) with an SST shifter, but they wouldn't do it.

I also had the dirty contacts issue. I don't remember how I resolved that, but a few shots of air should clean any loose debris.

Sounds kinda like my problem except my D4 doesn't work and D5 does. So would I be best just buying a shifter assembly from a junkyard LS or what do you all suggest?

Sounds kinda like my problem except my D4 doesn't work and D5 does. So would I be best just buying a shifter assembly from a junkyard LS or what do you all suggest?

That'll work. Mine was a D4 loss also.

looks like D5 took a crap again...the micro-switch must have an intermittent signal...gonna have to tear the center console out after all....

any tricks to getting the center console out on an SST

Members online

Back