cutting rear springs question

smitty2919

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
i have read psts upon posts on this topic and not looking to get into fights with people on this. i know people say dont and some say its fine. im not going crazy with mine.

stock 95 mark coild conversion but the rear sits a tad higher than the front. so i want to take the rear down a tad. ive read HOW to cut them, no heat and with cutoff wheel etc., and take a little off at a time and to cut end opposite of the end that lets the springs stand on their own(non flat end)

i was looking to go and get V8 Tbird junkyard springs and cut those as a trial run. and if come out good enough may leave them in. is there any problem with this? i read of people cutting sport or SC springs but wouldnt LX springs do just as well for me? im talking MAYBE 1" max for the rear.

being LX i dont think they will be progressive springs, but thought id ask before i do anyting.

thanks guys
Dean

As a temp measure, you could do that and see how you like it. Just remember to smooth the cut area so it doesn't tear up the spring isolator. LX springs may be a bit too soft...I'd go with sport springs to cut and try then get lowering springs for the rear permanently.

If you have the stock conversion height a half to full coil should be good. The only diff between the stock and 1.5 drop is one full coil. They will settle on their own after a few months so you may want to wait before cutting.

+1, I "trimmed" mine a little less than half a coil & after about a year it's lower than the front. I would suggest spring locks to compress them for a couple of months & then remove them to see how it looks.

well i have had the conversion springs in for more than a year now actually, sorry i didnt specify that. it was the first thing i did when i bought the car. i was just nervous about cutting mine and would do a trial run on J/Y springs, but now that i think of it, the J/Y ones may be worn and what not, not knowing what kind of abuse they may have gone through in their lifetime.

anyone have pics of say "half a coil" cut off with before and after pics of the spring itself. im assuming that wherever the spring ends on the top, go directly acorss from the end on the next coild down and cut...

don't cut "one coil down" just take the end of the coil and make a cut straight across.

here is just a pic from google. this is considered cutting 1 coil. cut only half that much off at first.

4.jpg

this is 3/4 of a coil cut off

JGC2.jpg

you get the idea, but only do 1/2 a coil. 1/2 coil put you right at 1 inch lower.

well ended up getting some Tbird springs and threw them in before anything was cut and VOILA! no cutting needed lol

best pic i could find of before:
27403550043_large.jpg

After:
27403550118_large.jpg

27403550125_large.jpg

27403550122_large.jpg

thanks for the compliments fellas

the tips are J/Y specials sanded/cleaned/buffed and painted. made them removeable so later on i can re-clean them

Stance looks great! I like the tail light treatment too.
+1 on the tips, they look great! What are they off of? A SHO?

Members online

No members online now.
Back