Cutting catalytic converter off

Rozay_LS

LVC Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ran no cats and just straight pipes all the way back ? Pros and cons of your experience of running no cats and any damage to the engine or straight pipes ?

You know, three threads are not always better than one...

Just run the car the way it was designed for optimum efficiency........

Just run the car the way it was designed for optimum efficiency........

That would be without cats then. The cats aren't on there for optimum efficiency, they are on there to remove smog creating emissions by changing them into greenhouse gasses.

That would be without cats then. The cats aren't on there for optimum efficiency, they are on there to remove smog creating emissions by changing them into greenhouse gasses.

In the old days, yes. New engines were designed with the converters in mind. They don't restrict flow (at least according to the Magnaflow flow engineers) like they used to. A byproduct of the need for monitoring the gas flow into the cats is much better fuel/air management thus better MPG as the computer has tighter control over fuel delivery. Without the O2 sensors monitoring the, well O2, levels in the exhaust the computer has to "guess" at how adjust the air/fuel ratio or fall back on a default setting; which is probably a little on the rich side. That would definitely increase the emissions that lead to pollutants (SMOG is actually smoke and fog) but would also reduce MPG.

Unless my understanding is all wrong.........

The front O2 sensors do all the mixture control. The rear O2 monitors are just there to produce a warning (check engine light) if the catalytic converters stop doing their thing. Removing the cats won't hurt the engine or reduce mileage. It'll just hurt the environment...

Exactly as Joe says, except I've heard that the newest computer control programs are starting to use the rear O2s for fine tuning for fuel economy. By newest I'm talking within the last 5 years.

The only thing you're going to gain are engine codes by going cat less. It's been proven on a lot of newer model cars that taking the cats off doesn't add horsepower anymore. You can always throw some aftermarket high flows on there but I really doubt you'll gain anything.

for the record, it doesn't sound like he is doing this for a performance gain, in another one of his threads, he states that he believes he has a cat that is going bad...

So I read that if I run bad spark plugs and ignition coils that eventually my catalytic converter will kill out, well I think that is what is happening now or at least starting to

if that is the case, then the car with no cat will actually have a huge gain in performance vs a car that has a clogged cat...

Hi guys...new to the forum. If this is not the place to meet and greet, feel free to chastise me and send me to the right area..love the forum..and Mlara is the best all around...please give feedback on my Linc..take care to all.

IMG_0029.jpgIMG_0033.jpgIMG_0036.jpgIMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

and Mlara is the best all around...

Damn dude, you got it like that???!

Welcome, please post your pics and all in the pic thread... I like the car (and the color obviously) just wish you'd get rid of the chrome, but hey its your car!

Yep..Coventrys..in mint condition bought off of CL for $200 plus shipping..a steal huh..

I got my 2006 from a lincoln dealer but after a good looking I saw a sticker that was half removed on the inside of the driver door that came from hertz rental car :( :( :( wouldn't have got it if I had saw that before. Car seems to be pretty good only 65k but I'm getting a bad smell when I push the gas hard. Is this a sigin of a bad cat or fuel pump thinking if it was a rental it has been topped off with reg 82 octane a few times . I don't have any performance problems gives me the same hard on when I give it gas my 2001 did any one got an idea what's causing the smell

Members online

No members online now.
Back