Custom exhaust

KevinJ

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2000 LS v8 non sport.

i ordered LSK intake tube and KKM filter

i went to the muffler shop today in the city i live in, the guy is supposed to do good work. he suggested to me an x pipe behind cats ( 2.25" tubing the whole way from cat back) and 2 magnapack 4"round resonators. basically no mufflers....

i want the car to sound nice and agressive but...it is a lincoln and i wouldnt like it to backfire and wake my neighbors up or just sound obnoxious.
any opinions?

i see some of the LS's with rear valences that have holes for the exhaust and make it look nice and clean. i have the 2000 non sport model, and hope the exhast doesnt stick out or look like it doesnt belong. what are my options for upgrading the rear valence, would i have to replace the entire bumper...?
i Like the one on Ken's LS ( greyghost) with the holes.

im also looking into replacing the front bumper with an 03 LSE bumper and read team ford in las vegas sells a kit. anyone done this?
need some help bust mostly honest opionoins, thanks.

thanks for the links!
i saw pektels first before posting, so i thought id at least ask about if there is a simpler approach or a valence/ bumper swap or kit to make it look more factory without cutting, trying to keep it cheap though. and the guy quoted me 440 for the exhaust....pretty curious as to how its going to sound.

There isn't. A gen 2 rear bumper cover swap out would also require the trunk and talights from a gen 2 to make it work. Pektels thread is the way to go and a very good looking end result way. IMO. Doing it to my gen 1 in a few months.

For the 04-05 lse bumper (stock 06) you can try tasca parts also.

+1 on Tasca's price for the 06 front bumper cover. Although, imo some have experienced slow shipping by them. Order ahead so you won't hold your paint person up.

there should be no reason your car should backfire... it shoulds like a cool set up, I run no exhaust (muffler) at all (just factory resonators, and its not horrible. listen to the youtube clips to help decide, plenty on there... as for the cutouts. I only cut the bottom of the rear valance (not the bumper cover itself)....
picture.php

Its alot easier then cutting all the way up...

Either way looks good. Personal preference, cut up into the bumper cover itself. Just seems to look a bit more symmetrical(flush) for my taste. Plus, it will give you a small bit more of clearance as well.

Rell, what color is your car? I really like the look of it in that pic.

+1 .. lol

Thanks, I like it (most of the time). its a good mix of grey and gold... not the "edgiest" color, but it looks good... its 10x better with all the chrome color matched... I'll be trying the black roof as soon as i sell my other LS...

:D lol.... I'd rather do it when it warms up a bit... but we'll see :p ... I'd imagine it'll look better on white. I'm hoping it turns out ok in my LPG

I am waiting til around mid March before having it done but took the car last week to my tint guy who also does wrapping. He stated his only concern is how firm the moulding around the sunroof is. He wants to be able to get it under there as best possible to prevent any dust getting in and causing lift.

To the OP. I had Magnaflows on my LS with no resonators and it was too raspy for me. I currently have resonators and APExhaust mufflers 2.5 cat back and I really like the sound, but it can be a bit quiet.

Also, the cutouts are a breeze to do. I actually used a 4" holesaw bit and a dremel.

To the OP. I had Magnaflows on my LS with no resonators and it was too raspy for me. I currently have resonators and APExhaust mufflers 2.5 cat back and I really like the sound, but it can be a bit quiet.

Also, the cutouts are a breeze to do. I actually used a 4" holesaw bit and a dremel.

that hole saw probably cost as much as the 4 inch tips did, those things aren't cheap

ah yes those do help out when you need a tool that you don't need to last forever or doing any heavy work with. I have a set of the hole saws that cost a fortune, and my dad has those forstner bits, those babies were a couple hundred for a full set. I am sure you can buy them cheaper but when you build custom cabinets you buy the best.

I've since cleaned them up and evened out the curve. The mufflers still haven't been moved I ran into some personal issues and they took a back burner
2011-08-20_10-03-44_971.jpg

G-RELL when u put those tips on how would u aling your muffler, would u put center in offset out? because i dont want to cut my bumper i just want tips coming out back that arent turndowns

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the input and pictures. I've decided to go with just cuttng into the rear valence and not the bumper, 3.5" round stainless offset tips, 2.25" tubing custom bent from cats back and resonators with no mufflers. The owner of the shop seems very knowledgable and I was pretty specific that I wanted clean sounding with nothing over the top. I've also got an intake tube and filter kit comming for my v8. Thanks again everybody.

Last edited:
Post a good audio clip once complete. Preferably not on a windy day. :)

G-RELL when u put those tips on how would u aling your muffler, would u put center in offset out? because i dont want to cut my bumper i just want tips coming out back that arent turndowns

someone correct me if im wrong, but there should be a direction/flow to your mufflers... You cant really do it wrong... specially if you have a shop do it... If you want less of the box to show, then yes, center in, offset bottom... I did a muffler delete and bought by own hangers to hang my pipe where i wanted it...

If your going it yourself, try to install where you want it. if it doesn't look good, take it to a shop, most will do it for around 100 bucks

Members online

No members online now.
Back