Custom Exhaust Advice

fudgedelic

LVC Member
Reaction score
Ive been thinking about doing the exhaust on my 02 LS8 for quite some time now and would very much appreciate some first hand advice. My main goals are improving performance by getting rid of those stock restrictive mufflers but also maintaining a good quality sound. I'm not looking for something overbearing by any means. To me it's still more of a luxury car than anything else but I do want the world to know when I open it up. And to people that have done this already does the LS have a decent rumble to it? I know it's a V8 but it is a small one and my fear is of it sounding too buzzy. Anyways my whole debate at this point is whether to go with a system like the magnaflow one or have something fabbed up. I have a good relationship with a custom shop that has done my SUV's in the past and their thought was this. Fab a little cat-back system with a couple of mufflers like flowmaster 40's and either leave the resonators in or pull them out. Without the resonators would we be approaching a little too loud? Bearing in mind my goals would my best option be having them install the maganflow system, custom system with the resonators, or custom system without. And if you say custom system any specific muffler choices you would reccomend? I have seen mixed reports on the flowmasters on the LS. Also if possible I'd like some opinions on what to do for the tips, I'd like to have them visible if possible if it can be done tastefully. Any pics of personal setups or better yet sound or movie clips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the advice.

youtube.com has a couple of vids. Theres one with the flowmasters and another with the magnaflows. To me the magnaflows is a good setup if you dont want a loud exhaust. The Magnaflows have a low deep rumble to them. But if you want something a little more aggressive in which is what im looking for, the flowmasters would have to be it. Some 40 series. Anyways I guess this is the right time to ask a question that has had me intrigued for a while now, and here it is. Has anyone tried Dynomax muffs on an LS? Maybe some racebullets or ultraflows?

The Magnaflows suck they have a low deep brrrring noise, it sounds terrible get the shop to bend you some stainless and get something like flowmaster hush power 2's, these actually rumble but are deep, the Magnaflows dont realy rumble they have a solid deep low tone. IMO not that great of a sound for a V8. Now these are only my oppinions and you are free to do what you want and judge it in your own way.

We just installed a magnaflow setup on NickLS's LS a couple of weekends ago.

We also took Quik for a ride when he was in Austin - which has a custom setup using a magnaflow x-pipe, flowmaster 40s, 2.5" piping and removed the resonators.

So Nick can probably give a first hand comparison of the two....

Thanks for all the replies and bump for some new ones. The pics and vids were a nice help. I'm thinking of doing something similar to Quik's setup. Have them bend some tube, throw on some Flowmasters and remove the resonators. And well if I don't like it we can always throw some more cash at it and change it around :) Btw just to address one thing I'm assuming all of these setups are going to have pretty similar HP improvements? Thanks again.

I was thinking custom with X-pipe, Aero resonators, and FRPP dual mode mufflers.... keep it quiet when I'm cruising but let it breath (and howl) when I get into it...

Hey there Fudge,
From reading your post, you want HP improvements w/out the loud obnoxious blarring exhaust. I was in the same boat w/ you on wether to go w/ mag's or flow's. I wanted a "sleeper" style car. You don't hear me coming, but you definetly see me leaving.

Well, you should go w/ magnaflow.
I installed a magnaflow on my car acouple of weeks ago and I haven't been happier. I didn't want to be heard coming a mile away or have that blarring CACKLE ROAR!! sound when I put the foot on the gas.

Just do a search on magnaflow vs. flowmaster on google. There are 1000's of posts on it from all different auto forums.

My advice is DON'T get the flowmasters. THey're gonna be WAY to loud for you. Quik has an amazing set up, but it's considerable louder on start-up than mine. Inside the cabin while cruising, his setup is just slightly louder than mine. Even though he has straight tips while I have turn-down tips, I should be the one that has a louder cabin due due to the turn-down's. I've read and heard that once/if I get straight tips that the drone will diminish.

One could argue that Quik has a SC in it. So it SHOULD be louder. So fine. To put that to rest, One day I drove up to Autozone and parked next to another LS. Just so happens it was a guy who works there. We go to talking and this exact subject came up. His LShas the exact same set up and mods on his car that I do. Except he has flow's and I have Mag's. I know, I know, I should have gotten pictures and videos clips, but it was a random guy.

We went outside and started them up. Mine was a low, smooth, power rumble that Mag's are know for. His flow's were more of a cackle rumble. (sorry for the description). Standing on the outside, his was DEFENITELY louder. Annoying louder when he revved the engine. And just sitting in both back seats we both agreed his cabin was louder. The two would probably be the same "loudness" if you took off the resonators.

The only reason why he got flow's was due to the fact that he got a really good deal through a friend. But after comparing the two he would like (if he had the $$$) to go to mag's.

This could go on and on of which exhast is better. Do a search on google and make your decision.

I didn't pick Magnaflow cause I was following the leader, or took one's person take on this exhaust sucks, or that exhaust is better. What annoys me is some people here give there opinion and they have no clue (and probably never will) on which one is better. They preach and preach on their setup cause they don't want to be the smuck to have the "inferior" product on thier car. They've never ACTUALLY heard/seen the two together. They just are "cookie-cutters" who go off of other's people "words".

The LS is a "luxury" car. Mag's has an amazing sound at WOT w/ the LSK intake & KKM filter. It's not a roadster, a mustang, dragster, truck, off-roader, or anything of the like. Why in the HELL would you want to put on a obnoxiously loud exhaust on a smooth car? The two just doesn't fit.

Believe half of what you see, and nothing of what you hear. --> Make your own choice or build one yourself.

If you plan on fab'ing your own exhaust, check out Geno's (ONEBADMK8) website www.lincolnmotorsport.com This would defiently make you have a exotic exhaust and probably have the best of both world in exhaust.

He has the twin-xx setup that is said to aid in lower end torque, lessen the drone.

Maybe he can chime in here and say something about it.

geno's lincoln motorsport does a full cat back setup i beleive with their double x-pipe, im not positive but i think he said $850 for the setup and install. the pipes have a lifetime warranty and welds are 10year warannty? dont hold me to that. he has plenty of vids all over the place just search or google them.

Another option he gives, is that he'll send you the parts and you get them welded. That's obiviously the Cheaper way to go. Unless you just want to take a road trip to NJ :)

geno's lincoln motorsport does a full cat back setup i beleive with their double x-pipe, im not positive but i think he said $850 for the setup and install. the pipes have a lifetime warranty and welds are 10year warannty? dont hold me to that. he has plenty of vids all over the place just search or google them.

I cant find these vids anywhere.

+1 Magnaflows I got the opportunity the hear "The LSK Car" before it was sold Ken had the magnaflows on it they were quiet at an idle or just "around town driving but when He got on it you could hear the car noticably but it still kept the sleeper sound to it. Flowmasters IMHO sound to hollow for my taste.

I honestly love my magnaflows, never actually seen a flowmaster in action but after researching and watching some vids I was more than happy with my final decision. Anything beats stock! lol

BTW NickLS very nice post (the long ass one :) )

Members online

No members online now.
Back