Custom CAI

NathanTroy

LVC Member
Reaction score
Do any of you guys have a custom cold air intake?
If so pictures and partlist would be very helpful.
I have Advance or Autozone right down the street.

Thanks,
Nate

It would help if we knew the year of your car.
Here's my Autozone setup for an 04 which should be the same for 03-06.
I cut down the original airbox and used that and a universal cone filter which is available in blue, red, or grey.
There's just enough lip left at the shortest point for it to work.
That's all the parts required.
You must remove the MAF sensor before making the cut so it doesn't get damaged. Also the filter must be secured so it doesn't move around.
I used a couple of electrical ties in series.
Since this pic was taken I also cut off the silencer chambers that are part of the elbow and capped the holes for a sweeter sound.
Made a noticeable difference.
I bought a second complete airbox assembly off ebay for 45.00
to have in case I want to take my car to the dealer for engine warranty work.
Also wanted the stock airbox if I decide to sell the car down the road in a few years.

DSC_0014.JPG

I cut some caps out of the big silencer chamber after I cut it off.
Roughed up both surfaces and used an adhesive we have here at work called Silaseal.
There's a second chamber that is on the underneath and is not visible in the pic. It's just a round hole.
Also added some sheetmetal screws and let it cure overnight as some guys have had the pieces seperate.
Break off any glue film on the inside that may come off and fly into the engine when it warms up.
I believe others have found that JB Weld which any hardware store has worked well without using screws but I like to have mechanical fasteners to make sure it doesn't crack like a year later.
You can also use rivets.

100_1507.JPG

Cool

That was a good idea man. I will be doing the same. Thanks for taking a picture of that.

I will let you know how it works. Do you have more performance?

you could do it this way, im sure it will work about the same as my 00.

DSC00213.JPG

DSC00213.JPG

The problem with that is there's no boss to put the MAF Sensor into on the 03-06 cars.

If you got the right size elbow you could glue them together and add some fasteners.

I'd say there's a real performance increase and the sound is very sweet.
Going through to the underneath of the car will give you colder air but I haven't noticed any difference from when the engine is cold to when it warms up on mine.
Also there's a slight risk of picking up water in heavy rain and having it sucked into the engine.
You could star with my setup then go with the elbow later.
Some people put a second elbow in and have the filter horizontal in the lower grille also.

I agree

I'd say there's a real performance increase and the sound is very sweet.
Going through to the underneath of the car will give you colder air but I haven't noticed any difference from when the engine is cold to when it warms up on mine.
Also there's a slight risk of picking up water in heavy rain and having it sucked into the engine.
You could star with my setup then go with the elbow later.
Some people put a second elbow in and have the filter horizontal in the lower grille also.

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I will go with 04sctls setup. I have messed up a car before by sucking water up the intake. I don't want to mess this car up. I will start on it tommarrow and let you guys know how it works.
Thanks,
Nate

you can buy those elbows in many different sizes at almost any local hardware store that sells PVC piping.

my filter actually sits right behind my foglight, keeping the overspray of water out of contact with the filter. When i go to the track i can also remove my fog light and have a ram air effect, i have seen a gain of few hundreths of a second in my 1/8mile time by doing so.

An alternate way of making a heatshield if you want to later is to mount the filter then take a piece of boxboard then using a marker and a boxcutter and/or sizzors cut out a pattern that fits well to your particular custom setup then transfer it to a more permanent material like sheetmetal or aluminum.

I did it fellaz

Okay,

I made my custom intake. I did not remove everything. I just cut the filter end off and put a Advance Auto performance filter on.

I also put Flowmaster 40 series on. I did not remove the resinators. It sounds really good and is not to loud. I am actually very impressed with the sound. I have owned a 400 plus horsepower camaro with the same exhaust.

Here is the problem,

How long will it take my cars computer to get use to everything? It feels like the car is slow off the line. Once the air starts moving it really moves though.

What do you guys think? Pics will be coming out soon!

Should reset within 100 miles.
Mine felt great off the start.
Of course I had already reflashed my ECM with the SCT Livewire.
It and the XCal2 flasher are next to the CAI the best mod you can do to the LS.
It's good for about 15 hp and takes that starting flatness from the throttle by wire right out, giving the car a much crisper response with great seat of the pants pull.
Don't bother doing any exhaust work for more power as the 2nd gen exhaust is as good as it gets already. If you want it louder ok but you won't get any real power bang for the buck.

I think it should only take about 15 miles, but with out that heat shield or the intake filter outside of the engine bay, that is just the way it seems to be. It will suck in the hot air around the engine bay till it starts moveing and gets circulated a bit.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

yes

I think it should only take about 15 miles, but with out that heat shield or the intake filter outside of the engine bay, that is just the way it seems to be. It will suck in the hot air around the engine bay till it starts moveing and gets circulated a bit.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Dude,

That is exactly what it feels like. Maybe I should get an elbow or something. I will get the tuner next. Who is the person I need to talk to again?

Members online

Back