Crown Vic P71 V Lincoln Town Car

Dondo5853

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have been driving a 97 Ford CV P71, police model for 8 years now,,, and want a better ride, I know the CV and the TC are brother in many ways,, same engine, trans, axels ! But do any of you know if its possible to take the running computer , or the engine management system , from the p71 Crown Vic, and install it into the Town car ? of cause I would be using the same model year of the 2 cars ! But it would give a little more horsepower to the Town Car, and would take away the speed limiter ,, and let it idle slightly higher in the RPM range !!

I would wager that while the powertrain is the same, the connections to other systems are different enough that you couldn't just swap the two engine computers.

For a couple hundred dollars you should be able to chip the Town Car to provide the same advantages as a P71 ECU. If you went with a 1998+ model you could use a handheld programmer to do it; I got mine new in box for $99. Look for a Cartier model TC because it'll come with better exhaust (depending on year) and a locking diff standard. A 98 Town Car Touring is also a nice choice, though more rare. Of course 2001+ models mean the PI engine with much more potential.

Exhaust is a real choke point on these cars, I can tell a big difference between my 01 single exhaust vs. my friends 99 duel. That would be my first starting point if I wanted to get a little more out of my LTC.

I was think of getting a 2007 to a 2010 TC, and I would like the Cartier model ! If it didn't come with duel exhaust already that would be my first upgrade ! I saw a TC a few years ago, the newer body style, and the owner had installed a set of 1 1/2 inch wheel spacers,, with a set of wire wheels,, and what a difference in the look and the stance ! I was struck with the look !

MooJohn ~ What company did you use to purchase your ECU upgrade ? And does it make a big difference in the power and the get up and go ? I was also thinking about a gear swap , to a set of 3:55 gears,,, most of my driving is in the city so it would make it easier on the trans and the engine to get to a better rpm quicker then lugging the engine !

Newer cars will have to use the newer programmers so you're looking at around $500. I don't know which ones provide best bang for the buck today; I used a Superchips on my previous 2001 Grand Marquis LSE and it really woke it up. Many automatic Mustangs don't beat its 9.9 1/8th mile run and it didn't have a locking diff and had only the 3.23 gears.

My Continental is old enough to use a last-gen programmer which is why it was $100. Tweaking the transmission is what's so beneficial in these cars. Ford should be ashamed of themselves for never putting a 5+ spd auto in the big sedans.

I found a site that sells what I would want to liven up the 2007 or newer !! Gears are just 8.8 rear gears,,, and the stock gears would be 3:27 gears,,, so I would go to the 3:55 gears !! That with a custom set of duel exhaust, a Computer chip , an a cold air intake,,, would wake it right up for street driving in the city ! And a set of wheel spacers ,, would give it a nice stance ...

Newer cars will have to use the newer programmers so you're looking at around $500. I don't know which ones provide best bang for the buck today; I used a Superchips on my previous 2001 Grand Marquis LSE and it really woke it up. Many automatic Mustangs don't beat its 9.9 1/8th mile run and it didn't have a locking diff and had only the 3.23 gears.

My Continental is old enough to use a last-gen programmer which is why it was $100. Tweaking the transmission is what's so beneficial in these cars. Ford should be ashamed of themselves for never putting a 5+ spd auto in the big sedans.

That's a nice looking 2001 !! I wouldn't mind something like that in a newer model !! that would ride nicer then my 97 Crown Vic p71 with 178,000 miles !! lol That has 1998 Lincoln Town car seats !!

I found a site that sells what I would want to liven up the 2007 or newer !! Gears are just 8.8 rear gears,,, and the stock gears would be 3:27 gears,,, so I would go to the 3:55 gears !! That with a custom set of duel exhaust, a Computer chip , an a cold air intake,,, would wake it right up for street driving in the city ! And a set of wheel spacers ,, would give it a nice stance ...

Step back from the kool-aid! :shifty:

Going to 3.55s from 3.27s would barely be noticeable. These cars are heavy. 3.73s would be a better choice at a minimum. A higher stall torque converter would help get the car moving as well. Of course it would all be moot without a trac-lok of some sort.

The exhaust is a definite given. If you've ever looked at the stock exhaust (even the dual setup), you'll recognize how restrictive it is. These cars are meant to be silent from the factory. The problem goes all the way from the exhaust tips to the exhaust manifolds. You'll want to rid yourself of as much stock exhaust as possible, using aftermarket high-flow cats if emissions are required.

A "computer chip" on a late model TC will be tough to find. But a good tuner could set you up with a programmer that would help, especially with the transmission. I wouldn't expect much real world gains on the tune, there is only so much a mail order tune can do with the SOHC 4.6L. If you want the most bang for the buck, get a competent tuner to give you a dynotune.

Wheel spacers???

I agree with what your saying,,,, not sure about 3:73 gears tho,,,, I could see changing the TQ converter,,, I wouldn't want to drop the in town gas mileage into the lower teens,,,, I would still want to keep it in the mid teens ! And highway mpg in the lower 20's mpg ! That's why I was thinking the 3:55 ! Yes I would use high low cats , and low restriction mufflers And no restrictors or silencers like they use to quiet them down !! I like the wheel spacers just for the stance it does make look like a bull dog with his shoulder standing right out there,,,, at least the one I saw was that way with wheel spacers !!

Members online

No members online now.
Back