Creationism: Last Debate of 2010 on the subject.

beginning to sound like shag with his circular reasoning.

Examples?

Or are you simply making baseless accusations (again) as an attempt to dodge any point about metaphysics/materialism or any critical philosophical examination of premises of your atheist point of view (again) because you can't simply cut and paste your response?

What does this mean then...

This statement indicates that you cannot believe in God and evolution.

If it doesn't mean that - what does it mean foss?
It's not my rule, it's what the evolutionists assume. I'm sorry you're too obtuse to understand.

i see. you're not going to provide the source of your misinformation other than humphrey's. (who's been thoroughly debunked)

tell me foss, what is your explanation of the grand canyon?
or that there are new stars that have formed where older, larger stars have gone supernova?(hint: look into nebula)
and the rocky mountains? and the himalayas?
i guess thats where that supernatural/ doesn't abide by physics/natural laws magic comes in.
none of the above can happen within a timescale to suit your view.
Your statement begs the question - it's logically flawed as you haven't proven that I am putting out misinformation - nor have you satisfactorily demonstrated a sufficient knowledge of Humphreys in order to debunk him. You don't even understand his research. Your argument about him is nothing but proof by assertion. That's a beacon that indicates a lack of good faith on your part. It's clear why people ignore you.

You still haven't answered my points in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope - my faith is mine - yours is yours - they are totally different.

And the theory about the galaxies is fairly well known - I provided a link to one source - here is another that indicates that spiral galaxies were formed sometime after the big bang (once again no time frame on when they started - so we don't know how old a spiral galaxy is) with the introduction of electromagnetic vortexes. Spirals are probably no where near as old as you indicate.

This isn't for this thread foss - and I have never, ever said that an unborn baby isn't human - To me it is, however, that is a matter of my faith. I will not impose my 'faith' onto others, as you would.

You insult me constantly foss - you actually take it to a very personal level - so, therefore, your 'brand' of Christianity appears to allow this type of behavior. So, why would you worry about mine?

The Bible also said that eating pigs was a bad idea
Leviticus 11:7-8
And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be clovenfooted, yet he cheweth not the cud; he [is] unclean to you. Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcase shall ye not touch; they [are] unclean to you.

Deuteronomy 14:8
And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it [is] unclean unto you: ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcase.
However Easter Ham contradicts the Bible - They are mutually exclusive. ;)

However, ah - original sin -
Romans 5: 17-19
For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.
Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.
For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.
There is a problem with the removal of the story of Adam and Eve and the hope of the New Testament - and it all comes down to 'original sin'. So, do we need the redemption of Jesus, if there isn't a direct line to 'original sin'? Which there isn't if were are products of evolution.
What are you babbling about now? You're trying to tell me that I can't eat Easter ham or something? :bowrofl: You have no understanding of the law for the Jews. Try reading the book of Hebrews and get back to me on the concept of the 'perfect sacrifice'.

Also, consider this passage:

Acts 10: 9 On the morrow, as they went on their journey, and drew nigh unto the city, Peter went up upon the housetop to pray about the sixth hour:

10 And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance,

11 And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending upon him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth:

12 Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.

13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

14 But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.

15 And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.

16 This was done thrice: and the vessel was received up again into heaven.

I especially enjoyed this passage from your link, foxpaws:

The big bang hypothesis has clearly not yet been proven and it is therefore important for all the alternatives to be discussed with an open mind. Unfortunately the big bang seems to have become an article of faith for a great many scientists; in 1951 it even received the blessing of Pope Pius XII Geoffrey Burbidge points out that astronomical textbooks no longer treat cosmology as an open subject, and that cosmologists are often intolerant of departures from the big bang faith. Researchers who question the prevailing orthodoxy tend to find it more difficult to obtain access to funding and equipment and to get their articles published. A few years ago Halton Arp was denied telescope time at Mount Wilson and Palomar observatories because his observing program had found evidence contrary to the standard big bang model (Scientific American, February 1992, p. 96).

So, fox, can you explain how the Bible and evolution are compatible, when the Bible clearly states that death is a result of sin?

hrmwrm said:
beginning to sound like shag with his circular reasoning.

I'd love to know how you have reasoned to such a conclusion. If anything, you should be accusing me of epistemic foundationalism rather than an appeal to the weaknesses of epistemic coherentism. I point to God as the only plausible beginning of the material universe. My view follows a linear progression model which has a beginning point and is in no way circular in reason.

hrmwrm said:
we were discussing the plausibility of a young earth and whether there is reliable evidence for it.
so, you're saying god has always been, but the universe was created by it. are you referring to the universe complete, or only our seeable universe?

I know what you guys have been talking about - but it is important to distinguish cosmological models of the universe from biological discussions of evolution. Granted there is some interplay, but we are talking about two distinct ball games here.

Yes, I am saying that God has always been and that He is the Creator of the material universe (He also created angels, too - but they are pure spirits).

Could you explain your distinction between the "universe complete" versus a "seeable" universe. Does "seeable" mean physical and observable while "complete" meaning to include the realm of the non-material?

foxpaws said:
There is a problem with the removal of the story of Adam and Eve and the hope of the New Testament - and it all comes down to 'original sin'. So, do we need the redemption of Jesus, if there isn't a direct line to 'original sin'? Which there isn't if were are products of evolution.

I know this may seem out of the blue, but I just want to point out something to youfoxpaws. Not a biggie, just a clarification.

Your line of logic is perfect until you reach your conclusion. Yes, Jesus Christ is unnecessary if the human race is not interconnected via Original Sin. Evolution and Original Sin, however, are not mutually exclusive. You would be correct if by "evolution" you mean the Materialist-Atheist viewpoint. Christians, however, can easily say that our bodies are the product of evolution but our spiritual souls have come from God. Thus the passage of God creating the body of Adam from the ground and then breathing into him a soul.

Just a thought.

Nasty Little Digs

...you're saying god has always been, but the universe was created by it

Accurately, the statement should be, "God has always been, and the universe was created by Him." Luckily for you, He believes in you whether you believe in Him, or you don't.

KS

Accurately, the statement should be, "God has always been, and the universe was created by Him." Luckily for you, He believes in you whether you believe in Him, or you don't.

KS
...but unfortunately for unbelievers, Hell is real whether they believe in it or not.

cammerfe said:

I agree with you about the accuracy issue, but you may want to clarify and explain that statement for someone who doesn't agree with you, like hrmwrm (and probably foxpaws, too).

fossten said:
...but unfortunately for unbelievers, Hell is real whether they believe in it or not.

I understand where you are coming from as well, but eternal death threats are likewise probably going to be unhelpful in this discussion.

h threats are likewise probably going to be unhelpful in this discussion.
I was speaking in general, so nobody should feel threatened. Besides, anyone who would use a small 'g' in the word 'God' and refer to God as 'it' probably doesn't take anything seriously regarding the afterlife anyway, so it's a moot point.

Simply put, the space-time asymmetry of the universe precludes the possibility of an oscillating, eternal universe. Your theory that the universe has ‘always been’ could have worked prior to the 1980s, but model after model of the universe proves the need for an absolute beginning. This was further confirmed by work done within the past five years and it has lead to a fascinating book that recently came out called New Proofs for the Existence of God by Fr. Robert Spitzer.

But doesn't the big bang - the absolute beginning - deal with only what happens to the matter that created the universe - not where that matter comes from? And beginning - what can be in that minute before the big bang - there wasn't 'time' - because 'time' was also created by the big bang - along with space.

Besides the fact of space-time asymmetry, matter itself cannot logically be eternal (existing without end). This is because matter is by nature composed of finite parts which are measureable and thus requires time (which is also finite and measurable). Indeed, only spiritual realities can be eternal. Take numbers for example, the number 2,603,884,910 cannot be found in the material universe – but the immaterial number line in which it can be placed can go on ad infinitum in either a positive or negative direction. Thus only spiritual realities can go on and on.

But, once again there isn't 'time' before 'bang' so the matter that created the universe could be eternal - there is no concept, no measurement, no passage of 'time' before the bang.

Some have said that to look to God for the universe’s prior-grounding or creation would lead us to ask the same thing of God. Who made Him? From where did He get His existence? Well, from a philosophical perspective we can simply say that God’s essence is existence. Or in other words, we know that everything needs to get existence from something else – but the thing it gets existence from also needs to be compatible with the thing being created. For example, a human and a tiger cannot mate because the biological materials between them are not compatible for offspring. But the same is true for things across the board, from atoms to chemical compounds. There must exist some compatible, raw being from which to give rise to the first material things. We need sheer existence itself: an eternal, partless, non-material reality which can in turn give rise to all temporal, material things with their necessary parts.

I don't think anything 'made' God - however, why do we have to have something (God?) 'make' the matter that was at the start of the universe? Cannot they both just 'be'? We don't need an eternal, partless non-material reality to jump start the universe.

A transcendent, eternal, infinite, spiritual God is the only hope for a material universe.

I think you mean a material earth - there could be alien species out there - without original sin - with no need for our 'God'. Not made in His image - no need to have His Son to absolve their sins.

But we can also say that since God’s nature is existence, He cannot not be. Indeed, He revealed Himself to the Jews as “I AM” (see Exodus 3:14). The classical conception of God is the only one that fits the bill needed for: 1) a self-existing being, and 2) adequate grounding for a material universe.

Federali - not quite following you on this one - That the Christian God is the only one that works for what...

On a side note, I’d be interested to hear your conception of God. It sounds like you may have some pantheist leanings (i.e. God is in the universe, present everywhere and lacking any transcendent quality whatsoever).

Closer to Panentheism.
Ephesians 4:6
One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in all.

him, as in man/male? see, i don't think that distinction has been made.
it is a non describable entity, so an it, or thing. it is described as a supernatural force not bound by the laws of nature.
so how do you get HIM from that?

Examples?
i thought i was on your ignore list troll. crawl back under your bridge.

I'd love to know how you have reasoned to such a conclusion.

i read it as god exists because there is a need for it.
not because it is a plausible explanation born from exhausting all other possibilities nor has evidence for it.
hence the circular reasoning.

Your statement begs the question - it's logically flawed as you haven't proven that I am putting out misinformation

thats not a question. and i don't understand english?
and yes, i.ve shown where humphries uses flawed data for his conclusions both here and a few years ago in another thread. no time to look it up. it was about his zircon tests and how he throws info away and fudges the results to get only what he needs.
but you refuse to believe truth when shown it and believe only your own brand of truth.
revel in it. but it won't win any intelligent person over.

actually, here is a quick link showing the problems with humphries zircon/helium tests.
recent to 2010

just a quick section about how bad his science is..

For decades, young-Earth creationists (YECs) have desperately sought "scientific evidence" to attack radiometric dating and protect their religious interpretations of Earth history. In 2003, many Christian fundamentalists became very excited about YEC statements in Humphreys et al. (2003a), Humphreys et al. (2003b) and Humphreys (2003). Humphreys et al. (2003a) claim that zircons from the "Jemez Granodiorite" (Fenton Hill rock core, New Mexico, USA) contain too much "radiogenic" helium to be billions of years old. By "modeling" the helium diffusion rates in the zircons and assuming some unfounded miraculous increases in radioactive decay rates, Humphreys et al. ( 2003b, 2004) concluded that the zircons are only "6,000 ± 2,000 years old." Not surprisingly, their results conveniently straddle Bishop Ussher's classical 4004 BC "Genesis creation date" for the world.

The results in Humphreys et al. (2003a) and related YEC documents are clearly based on numerous invalid assumptions, flawed arguments, and questionable data, which include:

•invoking groundless miracles to explain away U/Pb dates on zircons,

•misidentifying samples as originating from the Jemez Granodiorite,

•performing helium analyses on impure biotite separations,

•dubiously revising helium measurements from Gentry et al. (1982a),

•relying on questionable Q/Q0 (helium retention) values from Gentry et al. (1982a),

•failing to recognize that the Q0 values (maximum possible amount of radiogenic helium in a mineral) for their samples were probably much greater than 15 ncc STP/μg,

•inconsistently interpreting already questionable helium concentrations from samples 5 and 6 to make them comply with the demands of their "models,"

•seriously underestimating the helium concentrations in the zircons from 750 meters depth and not realizing that their Q/Q0 value for this sample (using Q0 = 15 ncc STP/μg) would be greater than one and therefore spurious,

•not properly considering the possible presence of extraneous ("excess") 3He and 4He in their zircons,

•listing the average date and standard deviation of their 2004 results as 6,000 ±2,000 years when a standard deviation (two-sigma) of ± 4,600 years is more appropriate.

•"fudging" old Soviet data that should have been ignored,

•deriving "models" that are based on several invalid assumptions (including constant temperature conditions over time, Q0 of 15 ncc STP/μg, and isotropic diffusion in biotite),

•failing to provide standard deviations for biotite measurements (b values) and then misapplying the values to samples from different lithologies,

•inserting imaginary defect lines into Arrhenius plots, and

•deriving and using equations that yield inconsistent "dates."

Could you explain your distinction between the "universe complete" versus a "seeable" universe. Does "seeable" mean physical and observable while "complete" meaning to include the realm of the non-material?
there is a "seeable" universe, outlined by what is visible to us.then there is that which is not, to which all intents must be infinite, since there is no visible end, just continuing space.

1. The Constancy of the Speed of Light

if light, as your theory puts it, was sped up enough to account for the vast distance of space,slowing down to it's present speed, then why aren't distant galaxies more developed and more in line with the same age as the milky way.? they shouldn't be more than 6000 years old either. yet the further you look. the less developed they are. many more young massive stars, less smaller old age stars. or do stars burn so fast that ours should be dead about now?

In other words, you can't provide any proof for your false accusations and are thus dodging...As usual.:rolleyes:

Dodging seems to be all you are capable of. Make a bold assertion and condescend to everyone and any point of view that disagrees with it. When pressed, the best you can do to back up your argument is cut and paste what someone else has written and that, more often then not, you don't understand (though you will never admit that). You really can't make your own argument or defend your positions; just regurgitate talking points you don't understand.

Actually, by definition, you're the quintessential troll.

Definition of Internet Troll and Online Trolling

In Internet terminology, a troll is a person who enters an established community such as an online discussion forum and intentionally tries to cause disruption, often in the form of posting messages that are inflammatory, insulting, incorrect, inaccurate, absurd, or off-topic, with the intent of provoking a reaction from others. Trolls can also be existing members of such a community that rarely post and often contribute no useful information to the thread, but instead make argumentative posts in an attempt to discredit another person, more often than not based on what they thought was said rather than what was actually said by the other person, concentrating almost exclusively on facts irrelevant to the point of the conversation, with the intent of provoking a reaction from others. The key element under attack by a troll is the forum or group’s hegemony. Hegemony refers to the recognized and agreed upon power structure of the said group or community. To this extent, a troll does not necessarily have to make malicious or incorrect comments. For example, a liberal-minded person who approaches a forum frequented by right-wing neo-nazis, may be considered a troll, even if no lies or attacks are made.

A person who retaliates (using whatever means) as a result of a misunderstanding (or as a way of rebelling against the overzealous application of rules) is not a troll. A troll is a person who approaches a board with the specific intention of destroying a forum’s hegemony, either with no particular motive or provocation in mind, other than to be purely destructive or if the motive or provocation is against the ethos of the board. For example, a neo-nazi approaching a Jewish forum with the intention of attacking the members, purely because the neo-nazi knows the forum to contain Jewish members, may be considered a troll. A Jewish member of the said forum, who becomes angry with the neo-nazi and breaks the rules in gaining revenge against the neo-nazi, and who is subsequently banned and who then begins to rebel, is not a troll.

The general element, that determines whether a malicious user is a troll or not, is the level of indignant emotions present in the person, coupled with the person’s history with the forum or group. An indignant user who has had a previous normal relationship with the group is not a troll, even if the user uses methods of attack that are characteristic of a troll attack.

The term Troll is often used as an insult in online communications, resulting in it being largely misapplied.

it is a non describable entity, so an it, or thing. it is described as a supernatural force not bound by the laws of nature.
The Bible clearly and repeatedly refers to God as male.

Closer to Panentheism.
A typically vague and evasive answer.

Does God take a personal interest in our lives? Is Jesus Christ God? Is He a just God who demands accountability? Is there a hell? Do you believe in the Trinity?

foxpaws said:
But doesn't the big bang - the absolute beginning - deal with only what happens to the matter that created the universe - not where that matter comes from?

Let me stop you right away here for a quick clarification. There is no such thing as “the matter that created the universe.” To be clear, matter is by nature not self-creating. We both agree on this insofar as we reject the idea that the universe just “popped into existence” on its own. While you believe it was “always there” and I believe God created it, neither of us really thinks the physical matter created the universe itself. Perhaps what you meant to say was that the matter that expanded following the Big Bang was reordered and restructured to give rise to the universe in its present condition? As far as “where that matter comes from” – science has no answer that can avoid the principle of non-contradiction.

And speaking of which, we should note here that science is based off of “inductive reasoning” while principles such as the principle of non-contradiction is based on “deductive reasoning” – this may sound too technical, but it is of great importance. Deductive reasoning is “stronger” than inductive reasoning because that which is known deductively is not open to revision. 2+2 is always going to equal 4, regardless of where or when someone is. Inductive reasoning offers only probabilities and can always be open to new ideas which change things. Just because, for example, we observe along a city block that seven houses in a row are white, we cannot say for sure that the eighth house will also be white. In such a way we can say that the sciences must offer theories that do not violate rules that are deductively certain. In such a way, scientists must be cognizant of the principle of non-contradiction when offering theories. This is one reason why scientists use mathematics, for the laws of mathematics follow the laws of deduction, which are absolute and unchanging.

foxpaws said:
And beginning - what can be in that minute before the big bang - there wasn't 'time' - because 'time' was also created by the big bang - along with space.

The standard model of the Big Bang holds that there was neither matter nor time prior to the Big Bang 13.7 billion years ago. As far as scientists know, there was nothing physical prior to the Big Bang. It’s important to note that there is a really big metaphysical difference between nothing physical and nothing. We have to take off our materialist lenses to understand this.

It would probably also be helpful to say that “time” is a tough term. The Greeks had two important words for it: chronos and kairos. The former refers to what science would call time (in the sense of space-time) while the latter refers to a qualitative sense of time. Chronos can be measured, and it answers the question: what time is it? Kairos, on the other hand, says not what the time is but rather what the time is for. Chronos spreads events out on a timeline, but kairos gives events depth and meaning. An event may take 2 seconds in chronos time – like jumping off a high dive – but placed in the context of kairos time, it can feel like it took “forever”. If we were to speak of time in the context of eternity, we must adequately understand the difference between chronos and kairos while recognizing that in eternity there are no minutes and seconds.

foxpaws said:
But, once again there isn't 'time' before 'bang' so the matter that created the universe could be eternal - there is no concept, no measurement, no passage of 'time' before the bang.

If matter existed prior to the Big Bang, then there would indeed be time in existence with it. Because matter is composed of measurable parts, there entails with it a need for time. At the moment of the Big Bang, the universe had a definite size and structure – it was just very, very small and very, very dense. Thus there would have also been time, just very, very short.

Notice the “if” when I said “if matter existed prior to the Big Bang.” No scientist today believes that the singularity which burst forth in the Big Bang and gave rise to our universe sat there for eternity before exploding. Indeed, we should clarify between “eternity” and “infinite”. Since matter is made up of finite parts which would entail a measureable finite time, the universe must have necessarily needed infinite time for it to have “always been”. But given the nature of infinity, we can say that given an infinite amount of time, all possible events would have occurred – including universal death. But we are still here and still alive. Therefore the universe is not infinitely old.

Furthermore, we can say that God exists in eternity where there is no time. Having no time, eternity also necessarily has no physical parts – for physical parts bring with it the existence of time. Thus there can be no such thing has an “eternal” universe, but rather an infinitely old universe. But as I noted above, the idea of an infinitely old universe is not a logical possibility, much less anything theorized from the sciences after the 1980s. In such a way, both the inductive reasoning of science and the deductive reasoning of philosophy support my views and neither of them supports yours.

foxpaws said:
I don't think anything 'made' God - however, why do we have to have something (God?) 'make' the matter that was at the start of the universe? Cannot they both just 'be'? We don't need an eternal, partless non-material reality to jump start the universe.

I believe I have answered this question, but I will point us back once more to the simple laws of deductive reasoning. Parmenides succinctly stated that “from nothing only nothing comes.” Matter does not justify its own existence and neither does the rational nature of the physical universe nor the biological life on earth. When we look out upon the world and the universe, we should note three tremendous things: that there is anything at all, that what is out there is ordered/reasonable, and that from this order has arisen life. As a Christian, I attribute the first thing to God the Father, the second to God the Son, and the third to God the Holy Spirit. That’s not “scientific” but it certainly doesn’t contradict science – sadly, your position of an infinitely old universe does :(

foxpaws said:
I think [by a “transcendent, eternal, infinite, spiritual God is the only hope for a material universe”] you mean a material earth - there could be alien species out there - without original sin - with no need for our 'God'. Not made in His image - no need to have His Son to absolve their sins.

We’re straying more into theology here than what the sciences can tell us. But my definition of God stands regardless of life on earth. There was a transcendent, eternal, infinite, spiritual God 13 billion years ago, even though there was no life on earth (indeed no earth at all). There also could be aliens (Pope Benedict XVI has even stated the possibility of their existence), but if this alien life is rational, then we could say they are made in God’s image. And they may even be without sin! In such a case, some theologians have wondered if we would play the part of the serpent in their spiritual history. Let’s hope this is not the case.

foxpaws said:
Federali - not quite following you on this one - That the Christian God is the only one that works for what...

Once again, God is the only being that can be self-existing. The sciences, using inductive reasoning, tell us that the universe has an absolute beginning and philosophy, using deductive reasoning, tells us that matter (with its need for space and time) lacks what is necessary to be self-existing or infinite.

Also, while I personally believe in the Christian God, I use “God” here in a strictly monotheistic sense. You don’t have to believe in Jesus Christ to know the truths of science and philosophy.

foxpaws said:
Closer to Panentheism.

Well I have to say, I run into plenty of pantheists, but few who describe themselves as closer to panentheism. But you are very clever and panentheism is a great clever-person’s position. It’s a wonderful place to be if one would like to have it both ways (i.e. have both Christian and pantheist leanings). I do find it funny that, for as being as opposed to a masculine God as you are, that the best Bible verse you use to describe yourself is one in which St. Paul refers to God as Father. Of course, he writes in such a way so as to make sure no one is confused by his statement that God is “in all” – because by being “Father” God is outside of time and space. He enters into it from without to impregnate it with His life. All creation is feminine before Him. By “in all” St. Paul means that God is the sustainer of all that exists. God is holding things in being because all things have their being from Him. To read pantheism or panentheism into St. Paul would be, as scripture scholars would call it, eisegesis rather than exegesis (the former is reading your views into the text while the latter is understanding what the text itself says – big difference). If one quote’s a source (Bible or otherwise) it’s important not to read one’s own beliefs into the text but rather let the text speak for itself (given it's historical, cultural, and literary context, of course).

hrmwrm said:

Check out my comments to foxpaws above for my more philosophical answer to this question. Any thoughts?

hrmwrm said:
i read it as god exists because there is a need for it.
not because it is a plausible explanation born from exhausting all other possibilities nor has evidence for it.
hence the circular reasoning.

Well if there is a need for God then there must be a God. Pretty simple stuff. And indeed there is a need for God, for the universe cannot create itself. This may not be "science" but it is logic - and even science must bow before logic.

At least foxpaws recognizes there must be something divine - even if that divine spark is "in" the universe, making the universe infinitely old. This is problematic, however, for monotheists, for if the divine is "in" everything than everything is somehow divine and must be worshipped. This is idolatry and it is as illogical to commit idolatry as it is illogical to believe in atheism and commit the idolotry and superstition of physical matter.

hrmwrm said:
there is a "seeable" universe, outlined by what is visible to us.then there is that which is not, to which all intents must be infinite, since there is no visible end, just continuing space.

Gotcha. You're refering to the "observable" universe verus the parts of the universe that we cannot "see" yet because there hasn't been enough time for the light to reach us. Thankfully, logic enables us to "see" beyond the horizon of physical observation and realize that all places of the universe (as well as any places in other unverses) must have their origin in God's creative act.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me stop you right away here for a quick clarification. There is no such thing as “the matter that created the universe.” To be clear, matter is by nature not self-creating. We both agree on this insofar as we reject the idea that the universe just “popped into existence” on its own. While you believe it was “always there” and I believe God created it, neither of us really thinks the physical matter created the universe itself. Perhaps what you meant to say was that the matter that expanded following the Big Bang was reordered and restructured to give rise to the universe in its present condition? As far as “where that matter comes from” – science has no answer that can avoid the principle of non-contradiction.

So - we are pretty close - and I did mean the matter/energy/false vacuum that was reordered ala big bang - before 'reorder.' It always was, just as God - but one didn't create the other (leaving out the idea that man created God i.e. matter creating diety). I don't have trouble understanding 'time' either - chronos or kairos. I also don't really have any problem understanding that before the big bang there wasn't any 'time' at all - nothing.

And speaking of which, we should note here that science is based off of “inductive reasoning” while principles such as the principle of non-contradiction is based on “deductive reasoning” – this may sound too technical, but it is of great importance. Deductive reasoning is “stronger” than inductive reasoning because that which is known deductively is not open to revision. 2+2 is always going to equal 4, regardless of where or when someone is. Inductive reasoning offers only probabilities and can always be open to new ideas which change things. Just because, for example, we observe along a city block that seven houses in a row are white, we cannot say for sure that the eighth house will also be white. In such a way we can say that the sciences must offer theories that do not violate rules that are deductively certain. In such a way, scientists must be cognizant of the principle of non-contradiction when offering theories. This is one reason why scientists use mathematics, for the laws of mathematics follow the laws of deduction, which are absolute and unchanging.

Fed - I also understand the difference between deductive and inductive reasoning - and why we have to go with 'inductive' reasoning for some areas of study. Often it is the jumping off point, we need to have that avenue to explore theories. And often theories cannot be 'absolutely' tested at this time. As we understand the theory better - or as our 'hard science' catches up (the ability to really measure and understand red shift for instance), the 'theories' firm up. It can take decades or even centuries for 'proof' to follow theory, even in math (fermat anyone?) But, unless you start to put forth theories - you don't expand knowledge. We would have never headed down the path of looking at man as an 'evolution' without Darwin's theories. It didn't matter that they couldn't be absolutely 'proven' then, or even completely proven now - but we needed the path. I think of it as the path is inductive and the end point is deductive (both if it is proved or positively disproved). But, if the path is looking pretty darn good - I am pretty willing to accept it as 'law'. Proof in some cases like these subjects may be a goal that cannot be reached feasibly - unless giant strides happen in folding time.

The standard model of the Big Bang holds that there was neither matter nor time prior to the Big Bang 13.7 billion years ago. As far as scientists know, there was nothing physical prior to the Big Bang. It’s important to note that there is a really big metaphysical difference between nothing physical and nothing. We have to take off our materialist lenses to understand this.
However, I think it is safe to say that before the creation of the universe there was no space for time. If something had to exist before the big bang - energy, matter, false vacuums - whatever, it was in a time/space void - so in that void everything would have been there 'always' - including God because that is all there was - 'always'.

It would probably also be helpful to say that “time” is a tough term. The Greeks had two important words for it: chronos and kairos. The former refers to what science would call time (in the sense of space-time) while the latter refers to a qualitative sense of time. Chronos can be measured, and it answers the question: what time is it? Kairos, on the other hand, says not what the time is but rather what the time is for. Chronos spreads events out on a timeline, but kairos gives events depth and meaning. An event may take 2 seconds in chronos time – like jumping off a high dive – but placed in the context of kairos time, it can feel like it took “forever”. If we were to speak of time in the context of eternity, we must adequately understand the difference between chronos and kairos while recognizing that in eternity there are no minutes and seconds.
Don't you have to have 'time' within your universe to relate to, in order to come up with the concept of eternity? But, what if you don't have time at all - either perceived or measurable? That is what you have before the big bang - no time. Does eternity go there - before the bang? It is a measurement of some sort of time, even without the need for minutes or seconds or millennium, it still defines time. Without time - what happens to eternity?

If matter existed prior to the Big Bang, then there would indeed be time in existence with it. Because matter is composed of measurable parts, there entails with it a need for time. At the moment of the Big Bang, the universe had a definite size and structure – it was just very, very small and very, very dense. Thus there would have also been time, just very, very short.

But how I understand it before the bang there isn't time. No means to measure at all - not even 'very, very short'. If you can't measure it, what happens to it? Does it become 'infinte'? So if it isn't the matter - the energy - the false vacuum - what is there before the bang? Just God? Or God and the moment before the bang.

Furthermore, we can say that God exists in eternity where there is no time. Having no time, eternity also necessarily has no physical parts – for physical parts bring with it the existence of time. Thus there can be no such thing has an “eternal” universe, but rather an infinitely old universe. But as I noted above, the idea of an infinitely old universe is not a logical possibility, much less anything theorized from the sciences after the 1980s. In such a way, both the inductive reasoning of science and the deductive reasoning of philosophy support my views and neither of them supports yours.

I don't think this is a question of the age of the universe - I think this is a question of what is before the bang - before the universe. We know there isn't time - so what ever was there has always been. God, energy, false vacuum, matter - whatever was there was always there.

I believe I have answered this question, but I will point us back once more to the simple laws of deductive reasoning. Parmenides succinctly stated that “from nothing only nothing comes.” Matter does not justify its own existence and neither does the rational nature of the physical universe nor the biological life on earth. When we look out upon the world and the universe, we should note three tremendous things: that there is anything at all, that what is out there is ordered/reasonable, and that from this order has arisen life. As a Christian, I attribute the first thing to God the Father, the second to God the Son, and the third to God the Holy Spirit. That’s not “scientific” but it certainly doesn’t contradict science – sadly, your position of an infinitely old universe does :(

Once again - I don't think our universe is infinitely old - it has a start - the bang, it will have an end. But what I do think is that because of the problem of time beginning at the moment of the 'bang' whatever lies on the other side of the bang was infinite, without time. Without the dimension of time - are things infinite or are they finite?

We’re straying more into theology here than what the sciences can tell us. But my definition of God stands regardless of life on earth. There was a transcendent, eternal, infinite, spiritual God 13 billion years ago, even though there was no life on earth (indeed no earth at all). There also could be aliens (Pope Benedict XVI has even stated the possibility of their existence), but if this alien life is rational, then we could say they are made in God’s image. And they may even be without sin! In such a case, some theologians have wondered if we would play the part of the serpent in their spiritual history. Let’s hope this is not the case.

There has been some great sci-fi written along those lines as well.

Well I have to say, I run into plenty of pantheists, but few who describe themselves as closer to panentheism. But you are very clever and panentheism is a great clever-person’s position. It’s a wonderful place to be if one would like to have it both ways (i.e. have both Christian and pantheist leanings).
<snip>
By “in all” St. Paul means that God is the sustainer of all that exists. God is holding things in being because all things have their being from Him. To read pantheism or panentheism into St. Paul would be, as scripture scholars would call it, eisegesis rather than exegesis (the former is reading your views into the text while the latter is understanding what the text itself says – big difference). If one quote’s a source (Bible or otherwise) it’s important not to read one’s own beliefs into the text but rather let the text speak for itself (given it's historical, cultural, and literary context, of course).
I don't for a moment believe that Paul thought of God in a panentheism 'frame' but I do think that the quote very eloquently states how I think of God. Transcendent, eternal, infinite, spiritual, but of the universe as well, "who is above all, and through all, and in all."

Pauline? It doesn't read like the rest of Paul's work - but I do think it was him as well, but maybe with a really good writer helping him out - since he knew it was going to be rather well circulated from inception. Whoops - back on track....

I do find it funny that, for as being as opposed to a masculine God as you are, that the best Bible verse you use to describe yourself is one in which St. Paul refers to God as Father. Of course, he writes in such a way so as to make sure no one is confused by his statement that God is “in all” – because by being “Father” God is outside of time and space. He enters into it from without to impregnate it with His life. All creation is feminine before Him.
Well, first, I don't think I have ever gone down the road of objecting that people refer to God as 'He'. Look at most of my posts - I refer to "Him" and "He" all of the time. It is easier. But because God is outside of time and space I also think that He is outside of gender. If you aren't corporeal, why do you think there would be a need to be dependent on things like gender?

And just as a 'what if'... Males are becoming obsolete. Far faster than females. Wouldn't your concept of God have seen this point in time - realize that in reality, females are 'where it is at' when it comes to 'continuing' life. All the men in the world could be wiped out tomorrow - and we would survive. If all the women were to disappear - unless science moved darn fast - this would be an extinct species. Plus - it is always "Mars (or fill in your own place) Needs Women" never "Venus Needs Men".;)

Sort of like Star Trek -
"Where no one has gone before" just doesn't have the impact of "Where no man has gone before".

I know this may seem out of the blue, but I just want to point out something to youfoxpaws. Not a biggie, just a clarification.

Your line of logic is perfect until you reach your conclusion. Yes, Jesus Christ is unnecessary if the human race is not interconnected via Original Sin. Evolution and Original Sin, however, are not mutually exclusive. You would be correct if by "evolution" you mean the Materialist-Atheist viewpoint. Christians, however, can easily say that our bodies are the product of evolution but our spiritual souls have come from God. Thus the passage of God creating the body of Adam from the ground and then breathing into him a soul.

Just a thought.

Oh missed this - sorry.

So - you separate evolution of body and of spirit to get around the 'original sin' conundrum. I like it... Accept evolution - but put an 'out' in it, state that our 'souls' didn't evolve but are a direct line to God.

When did the point in evolution occur that we got our 'souls' inserted?

Just a thought...
I do like this idea though - for Christianity - it gets around the whole problem of dealing with a pretty much accepted theory, evolution, while being able to keep original sin, a very necessary 'evil' when dealing with Jesus' purpose of being put on this earth.

And even by Foss's chart more than 50% more Americans accept evolution theory than don't accept it.

And do those Americans all understand what Darwinian evolution is as opposed the "adaptation" of Darwinism which is what evolution has traditionally been understood as.

Is this evidence you cite anything more then simply evidence of how ignorant so many are on this subject?

Members online

Back