Creaking in my frontend

Dan Ro

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
When I turn and go over uneven areas like pulling in or out of a driveway or parking lot with a small incline. Not a bumping or groaning noise, it's more creaky. I just looked under it a few weeks ago, What should I check for?

I know the answer... so does the search feature.

Sorry. I left my baby spoon at home today.

I applaud your efforts. Most people don't search.

I lied, I do not know the answer. I was thinking of the clunk, not the creak.

have you had work on your springs or struts lately? The strut assembly must be mounted a certain way or it will creak from the tension.

If they have never been removed or messed with I would look into the shocks being worn out.

What does your front end sound like in dry weather and turning the steering wheel from lock to lock slowly? I'm leaning toward your lower ball joints. If you hear the creaking when turning the car's steering while not moving forward or reverse, it sounds to me like your lower ball joints are toast. Look at them from under the front of the car, and see if they have torn boots. If so, then they got water in them and are now dry and wearing rapidly.

have you had work on your springs or struts lately? The strut assembly must be mounted a certain way or it will creak from the tension.

If they have never been removed or messed with I would look into the shocks being worn out.

I have not myself, I just bought it 3 weeks ago. The last owners had work done Aug. '09 but that is not on the invoice at all.

ball joint diagnosis trick

I have been having a similar problem, a creak when starting and stopping mainly. I could also bounce on the fender and get it to go. Seemed to get worse as the car was driven. Sounded like rubber on rubber, like a bushing creak. I got under the chassis with a stethoscope and the noise seemed to be coming from the lower ball joint, but it radiated everywhere and was very hard to definitively pin down. I was half convinced "ball joint", and with the threads here felt that very likely.

Still, took it in to a shop I trust, and they diagnosed it for $25. They could not pin it down with a stethoscope either, but the mechanic had a trick up his sleeve. He poked a hole in the bushing on the ball joint and shot some penetrating oil in there, and sure enough, the noise has ceased completely. I have driven it for two days with no symptoms. He said it might go 6 months, or 6 days with no noise, but the joints must be changed eventually. So, as I have a Gen 1, I am going to get me the Moog if I can find them, and do the job.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Pektel. I see they have two parts there, a Deeza (in stock and cheaper) and the Moog (a brand I have good experience with, but out of stock). Any advice on the Deeza part, or best to give the Moog a few days for an extra $17 each?

I did some googling and the Deeza parts seem to be good. Found another forum with some experience with it.

Dan, I am curious to see if that trick works for you.

I am going to do this job myself. My bro-in-law has a press.

Already replaced the sway bar bushings (*%^$#!), clock spring, two rear wheel bearings, DCCV, spark plugs and coils (used ebay units, worked great), and brakes (including calipers, the damn pistons stuck on both sides) with ebay rotors (worked perfect). These all seem to be common defects on this car well documented on this forum, and without this resource, I surely would have gone mad(der). Having gone through all this, I love my LS V8. What a great car to drive, and super comfortable. Also put in a new bluetooth stereo with ebay parts and JBL speakers, and it is all good. I plan on driving this thing till a major component blows. Doesn't burn a drop of synthetic oil in 10K miles! Not trying to jinx myself, just sayin...

Members online

No members online now.
Back