Crank no start 98 lsc

mmikeman

LVC Member
Reaction score
Just bought a lincoln mark 1998 lsc, car was great when I checked it over no issues found anywhere, drove it for about 3 days and all the sudden it won't fire. Cranked while pumping gas no luck, only thing I did to it before this happened was change a really old fuel filter, Im thinking either

A. Fuel pump relay is faulty (going to swap after work today)
B. Antitheft issue? (not sure about this one wouldnt the car not crank?)
C. Crankshaft sensor (where is this located on this beast?)
or
D. Fuel reset switch in the trunk, checked it already and noticed the button can't be pressed down thinking that means its ok? noway to bypass it I assume either?

Anything I missed up there that could be causing my problem? Also would some of those things make the car throw some codes? I have an odb2 scanner so I plan to scan it after work to so I can narrow it down some more, very random, worst comes to worst probably the fuel pump died I tried listening for the pump and couldnt hear it

You should be able to hear the FP prime when you turn the key to the "on" position. If you can't hear it, it's probably not working. If the relay is faulty, the pump probably won't work. The FP relay is part of the VLCM/VRCM if I'm not mistaken. That relay box is located under the passenger side inner fender close to the air suspension compressor. Just for the heck of it, take a tire tool and bang the bottom of the gas tank a couple of times and see if it will crank (I did this one time several years ago to get my old '96 going after the FP died). It could also be the crank position sensor. If the fuel pump reset button can't be depressed, it is not tripped. If you can get a fuel pressure gauge, check the pressure at the fuel line on the intake manifold. It should be around 45-47 psi at the rail (IIRC). Just a few things to look at.

worst comes to worst probably the fuel pump died

I don't know about that, I think the worst option here is the CPS. Most pain to change/replace out of everything listed.

Start with moving the wires and CPS sensor around (unbolt and "jiggle") mine started working after that. If it still wont work try replacing the CPS (but you have to remove the AC Compressor) I've had to replace the VCRM before so don't rule it out if it's not the CPS. I think I still have a couple extra laying around.

Pumping the pedal on an injected vehicle does not cause it to flood. All pushing the pedal on the Mark does is allow more air into the intake. The computer causes the injectors to fire and the amount of fuel that is needed based on different parameters such as engine speed, crank position, A/F ratio, load, and many others. Unlike carbed vehicles which have a throttle pump, almost all fuel injected vehicles don't have the throttle pump.

Does this mean you were pumping the gas pedal while cranking? If so could it cause a "clear flood" mode problem?

Pumping the pedal on an injected vehicle does not cause it to flood. All pushing the pedal on the Mark does is allow more air into the intake. The computer causes the injectors to fire and the amount of fuel that is needed based on different parameters such as engine speed, crank position, A/F ratio, load, and many others. Unlike carbed vehicles which have a throttle pump, almost all fuel injected vehicles don't have the throttle pump.

Buford, I know this thats why I was asking if by pumping the gas pedal and possibly going to the floor, it might make the ECU go into "clear flood mode" which is supposed to keep injectors from squirting fuel into the engine. Not sure if Mark Viii's even have this feature thats why I put a question mark at the end.

Buford, I know this thats why I was asking if by pumping the gas pedal and possibly going to the floor, it might make the ECU go into "clear flood mode" which is supposed to keep injectors from squirting fuel into the engine. Not sure if Mark Viii's even have this feature thats why I put a question mark at the end.

yes, flooring a mark will kill the injectors. every ford i've tried it in has worked so far.

This exact thing happened with me less than 2 months ago out of nowhere... it WAS the CPS in my case.. my Mark has almost 250k miles on it and plenty of leaks and gunk on the bottom of the motor. I cleaned the both ends of the CPS, the connectors on the CPS and the plug and fired right up. Issue has completely gone away since...

I had the same post on here, and these same folks gave me this advice which was dead on so I would definitely listen to them and I hope its only the CPS!

During the experience I hoped it wasnt the fuel pump, because even though its not too hard on these cars (at least on my previous mn12's), its still tedious and can be a PIA.

changing the CPK doesnt look too hard on these cars - VERY easy to access... hope that helps!

Just bought a lincoln mark 1998 lsc, car was great when I checked it over no issues found anywhere, drove it for about 3 days and all the sudden it won't fire. Cranked while pumping gas no luck, only thing I did to it before this happened was change a really old fuel filter, Im thinking either

A. Fuel pump relay is faulty (going to swap after work today)
B. Antitheft issue? (not sure about this one wouldnt the car not crank?)
C. Crankshaft sensor (where is this located on this beast?)
or
D. Fuel reset switch in the trunk, checked it already and noticed the button can't be pressed down thinking that means its ok? noway to bypass it I assume either?

Anything I missed up there that could be causing my problem? Also would some of those things make the car throw some codes? I have an odb2 scanner so I plan to scan it after work to so I can narrow it down some more, very random, worst comes to worst probably the fuel pump died I tried listening for the pump and couldnt hear it

Did the OP fix the problem yet? My friend has a 97 LSC. Sometimes it won't start after replacing and cleaning the connections on the CPS. After I questioned him further, his anti theft light was blinking fast when it wouldn't start. Swapping out his spare key didn't help. He replaced the SCIL. So far, so good.

That is why I answered as I did, because both the OP and you stating "Pumping the pedal". Pumping the pedal will not flood the Mark. Holding the pedal to the floor will just shud down the injectors while it is on the floor. That was why I gave the long winded explanation.

Followed everyones advice, jiggled the wire to the crank sensor after trying to start for several minutes, fired right up, had to do it several times during the week and finally the issue is resolved however I took it in to change the crank sensor asap and did the plugs while I was at it, only thing Im worried about is if the wire itself to the sensor has gone bad, is that a part of the engine harness and hard to repair if it did? Visibly it looks brand new so not sure if maybe the connectors corroded on the sensor or if they are just wear and tear?

Followed everyones advice, jiggled the wire to the crank sensor after trying to start for several minutes, fired right up, had to do it several times during the week and finally the issue is resolved however I took it in to change the crank sensor asap and did the plugs while I was at it, only thing Im worried about is if the wire itself to the sensor has gone bad, is that a part of the engine harness and hard to repair if it did? Visibly it looks brand new so not sure if maybe the connectors corroded on the sensor or if they are just wear and tear?

It's just wires soldered into a harness. Worse comes to worse you can buy a new harness off of rockauto and splice it in where the wires start looking 'good'.

If you still have assess to it, order a pig-tail from Rock Auto and solder it in.

It's fairly close to the road so it gets filled with oil and abused from road debris.

To the OP, thanks for getting back and letting all know what the outcome was. Too many times others come on ask the question and then are never heard from again.

I know that most on LVC feel this so I think I can say thank you from all here.

Members online

Back