Cowling clips / push-type retainers?

alexfranke

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I went under the hood the other day and noticed that someone who recently serviced my '03 LSv8 apparently forgot to replace almost all of the cowling clips along the front of the engine compartment (above the radiator), and even the two on the engine cover.

I went online to try to find inexpensive replacement parts, but I was stunned by the selection (http://bit.ly/nFDpSn). I can't seem to find the part number using fordparts.com to help narrow down the selection.

Does anyone know the right part numbers for those fasteners or know of a good place to get inexpensive replacements?

Thanks!

Mine were long gone way before I got mine. I wouldn't stress over them if I were you. Once you have them again they are just free game to get lost again.

:eek: Never thought they were that much!

Last time I was at the salvage yard I got all the ones off of an Ls thank god!

yeah I seen them on ebay and I was like holly sh1t!! I'm seriously missing 30 of them things on my car, nearly every one in the engine bay is missing. I went to the ford dealer and they wanted 1.50 a piece for them dam things.

They want $3.50 each at the Lincoln dealership I go to... which I had bought 3, but shops keep breaking them (I think everyone uses a fastener removal tool and prys them out). I went ahead and got 15 off of eBay months ago.

I bought the screw in ones from autozone, but I like the stock ls ones better, will probably buy the ebay ones real soon. I HATE, HATE, HATE the ones that go in and only come out broken. When I was trying to replace my license plate bulbs with LED I had to take about 12+ out, then I put them back in. A few days later I tried installing the back up camera and had to take them off again to get to the license plate surround, I said just tossed them in the trash after that.

These

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/72-3...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item45f5f146c9

If you're tired of the 2 piece retaining clips under the hood you can replace them with Disco 5710's. I bought a pack of 25 for $4.50 at O'reilly's and replaced all the 2 piece pins under the hood, including the cowl

If you're tired of the 2 piece retaining clips under the hood you can replace them with Disco 5710's. I bought a pack of 25 for $4.50 at O'reilly's and replaced all the 2 piece pins under the hood, including the cowl

Very nice! Thanks a TON! :)

I was able to find these plugs for a reasonable amount at Kragen, now Rileys. They have them on a rack with a bunch of body fastener type parts. I think it was a blister pack of 5 and the price didn't even click in my head.

I would suspect other parts stores may have them

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Are you talking about the the oem style you found? If so have a part number for them?

I was able to find these plugs for a reasonable amount at Kragen, now Rileys. They have them on a rack with a bunch of body fastener type parts. I think it was a blister pack of 5 and the price didn't even click in my head.

I would suspect other parts stores may have them

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

I ended up buying 1/4 Push-in nylon rivets from Lowe's today. $1.04 for a set of two. They work great, you just have to use a flat screwdriver or pliers to pull up the center if you want to take them out.

Compared to the price for the real deals ($27 for 15, plus $5 shipping) I decided to give up a little in cosmetics.

They are also about 1/4 the price of the ones at the auto parts store.

Aplogies for the crummy cell phone pic.

1012111353a.jpg

When you say "cowl" are you talking about the engine shroud (the cover with the v8 symbol)?

No, that's the engine appearance cover. The cowling (in this case) was the plastic piece at the front over the radiator. Most of time, we also refer to the wiper cowl which is the plastic piece under the wiper arms between the hood and the windshield.

I ended up buying 1/4 Push-in nylon rivets from Lowe's today. $1.04 for a set of two. They work great, you just have to use a flat screwdriver or pliers to pull up the center if you want to take them out.

Compared to the price for the real deals ($27 for 15, plus $5 shipping) I decided to give up a little in cosmetics.

They are also about 1/4 the price of the ones at the auto parts store.

Aplogies for the crummy cell phone pic.

I think I'd rather give up the bit in appearance to switch to the clips that are easier to remove. That looks like the sort GM uses on their cars. The difference in appearance is minimal, only an LS purist would notice that they weren't the correct ones. I need to get some of those for my own LS, as some of mine have turned grey with sunlight exposure.

For the (other) purists out there........

I have had good luck finding replacement oem fasteners at clipsandfasteners.com. The push-type retainer is listed as part number 20233 ($24.50/box of 15). The Site Shield retainer (the one that screws in with the cross on the top is part number 20518 (9.64/box of 10). Unfortunately, you have to buy them by the box, which isn't necessarily a bad thing for the push retainers as these get lost on mine pretty often. The site also lists the corresponding oem part number in many cases. If you do a search for "Lincoln LS", the site will show you what they have for the car.

For the (other) purists out there........

I have had good luck finding replacement oem fasteners at clipsandfasteners.com. The push-type retainer is listed as part number 20233 ($24.50/box of 15). The Site Shield retainer (the one that screws in with the cross on the top is part number 20518 (9.64/box of 10). Unfortunately, you have to buy them by the box, which isn't necessarily a bad thing for the push retainers as these get lost on mine pretty often. The site also lists the corresponding oem part number in many cases. If you do a search for "Lincoln LS", the site will show you what they have for the car.

OR you could pay $17.50 and get 100 clips......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Lincoln...:Lincoln|Model:LS&hash=item2c970273b2&vxp=mtr

Wow, good price! And thanks, nice heads up. I think its is certainly an option for some and I sure can't argue with that price, but for give or take twenty bucks, my personal preference is to buy here if it's available and keep an American employed. Or maybe I'm just an old f*rt who's too old school....?

Wow, good price! And thanks, nice heads up. I think its is certainly an option for some and I sure can't argue with that price, but for give or take twenty bucks, my personal preference is to buy here if it's available and keep an American employed. Or maybe I'm just an old f*rt who's too old school....?

Yeah. I ended up buying them anyways. :p

Where do you suppose the OEM gets them? (It's a world-wide business these days.)

KS

Just because the OEM cheaps out for a buck, not thinking that the fewer Americans that are employed the fewer American customers they will have (and make no mistake, those building the parts overseas cannot afford these cars on what they make) and the fewer cars they will ultimately sell. If money doesn't move, it doesn't grow.

I'm quite sure the ones that are being sold in stores or at the dealerships aren't made here anyways. But if that's way you feel, I'll probably be selling some of them on ebay once I get them. Support this US citizen! :wrench

No, that's the engine appearance cover. The cowling (in this case) was the plastic piece at the front over the radiator. Most of time, we also refer to the wiper cowl which is the plastic piece under the wiper arms between the hood and the windshield.

I must have edited my post just after you replied. Please check new post just above your response. Thanks!

Members online

Back