Could SeaFoam be the issue???

lilnae

LVC Member
Reaction score
So i just bought a the mark viii about a month ago. Replaced spark plus and coils. I was advised to put a can of sea-foam in the gas tank as a fuel cleaner. (I only use Premium gas.) I added it to a full tank about three days ago. Now when i am at a stop light or a long pause with my foot on the break or reverse my car shuts off :mad:!!! Could it be the Sea-foam or should i be worried its something else.

I still have a half tank of gas left.

So i just bought a the mark viii about a month ago. Replaced spark plus and coils. I was advised to put a can of sea-foam in the gas tank as a fuel cleaner. (I only use Premium gas.) I added it to a full tank about three days ago. Now when i am at a stop light or a long pause with my foot on the break or reverse my car shuts off :mad:!!! Could it be the Sea-foam or should i be worried its something else.

I still have a half tank of gas left.

Does the can have an oz to gal ratio that it goes by? But I would think it would not be a problem.

So you did 1 pint to like 15 gals? If so that 1 pint is super tiny to 15 gals. no worries there.

Theres about 100 things it could be. Does it immediately restart? Does it stumble or just turn off.

+1 on IAC. If its a gen 2 just pull it off and spray it out with some carb cleaner. If its a gen 1, you might as well just buy a new one if your gonna go through all the trouble of pulling it off.

As said, fuel filter, IAC. You may even want to clean the MAF (in the air-filter box). I would do the filter and MAF first, since those are MUCH easier to get to than the IAC on a Gen One.

You may also want to check your wires for arching in the dark.

if the problem wasn't there before the seafoam, then you added seafoam and the problem is there, the problem is likely the seafoam.

I once foolishly added an entire can in my 66 mustang that only had maybe 3-4 gallons of gas at the most in it. It ran so bad, it was like 4 spark plugs were disconnected. Wouldn't idle, wouldn't full throttle, stalled, missed, smoked, you name it. You're halfway on your tank, try filling up on the way home with premium and see if it helps

The seafoam 'cleans' the fuel tank and lines. The slime and crud accumulates in the filter, especially on the first treatment.

The seafoam 'cleans' the fuel tank and lines. The slime and crud accumulates in the filter, especially on the first treatment.

I'm with everybody that said the filter. You added a solvent that broke loose all the crud, so where does it go? When you put it in the intake, what happens? All that crap blows out the exhaust via black smoke. It would stand to reason, in the gas tank it all goes where? The ONLY exit, down the line and into the fuel filter!

It's not the filter...I've been wrenching since I was 16, 22 years ago, and I've changed dozens of fuel filters, and while this isn't the "rule",,,,but in my experience, i've never seen a fuel filter so clogged that it caused the car to stall or even miss...and I just changed my mark viii filter for the first time at 108k miles. If his filter was bad enough to stall out his engine at a light, then he'd be complaining of loss of power, and likely stumbling/surging/missing too, which he's not.

I haven't seen the original poster post back, I'm still betting that he added more gas and the problem went away

I have seen fuel filters plug up bad enough to cause driveability issues my old 93 mark and my 94 Tbird both plugged solid bog on hard acceleration

It's not the filter...I've been wrenching since I was 16, 22 years ago, and I've changed dozens of fuel filters, and while this isn't the "rule",,,,but in my experience, i've never seen a fuel filter so clogged that it caused the car to stall or even miss...and I just changed my mark viii filter for the first time at 108k miles. If his filter was bad enough to stall out his engine at a light, then he'd be complaining of loss of power, and likely stumbling/surging/missing too, which he's not.

I haven't seen the original poster post back, I'm still betting that he added more gas and the problem went away

Maybe not but the fuel filter is an easy possibility to eliminate and usually not a bad idea regardless.

I always start diagnosis with the basics... fuel, air and spark. Obviously the OP suggested it was a fuel issue with the addition of seafoam to the fuel tank.

FWIW, the filter on my Thunderbird was plugged and while I was diagnosing the problem, the fuel pressure was very good, but the car just wouldn't idle right, stalled, and starved on acceleration.

I removed that filter, could NOT even blow air through it - I don't know how the pressure stayed good (must be a good fuel pump). When I forced air backwards through the filter, a little bit of black dripped out of it.

Plugged fuel filters can trigger all sorts of strange problems, not necessarily consistent ones.

As an afterthought, I surely wouldn't hesitate again. For the cost of a filter, it's worth it to change it - hell, you're supposed to changed it during tune-ups, anyways!

...I always start diagnosis with the basics... fuel, air and spark. Obviously the OP suggested it was a fuel issue with the addition of seafoam to the fuel tank.

I always try to follow the KISS rule (not to be insulting - I use it on myself every day!) Keep It Simple Stupid

Members online

Back