Cosmetic Question: chrome hubcaps

1986_MarkVII

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
1986 Lincoln Mark VII
Bill Blass edition
5.0 engine

Does anyone have a technique for cleaning and polishing the chrome hubcaps on the 1986 Mark VII?

See my picture below. Is there a quick way to bring them back to shining brilliance without spending an entire day doing each spoke?

mvii_hub_cap.gif

yes, ACID, i get all the rims shiny as hell with some acid, under 5 min. its meant for wire rims, you just spray it on, let it sit for like a min or less then brush and rinse. you might have trouble getting it tho might not

They look like wheels to me, as evidence by the wheel weight at the 7 o'clock position.

If they really were hub caps, put them in a dishwasher and run it on the pot-scrubber cycle.

One_Way said:
They look like wheels to me, as evidence by the wheel weight at the 7 o'clock position...

I didn't even think of it that way. If 1986_MarkVII is refering to the entire wheel, I stand corrected. What you are thinking of is technically a wheel cover, which is why I overlooked that viewpoint. I assumed that they were refering to the hubcap, which it does have in the center of the wheel, as that is the only chrome portion of the wire wheels.

Shame on you for not knowing about the reverend 60 spoke wire wheel option on the famed Lincoln Mark VII Josh!

The entire "wheel" is everything except for the "center cap". The center cap houses the maroon backed Lincoln star under a clear cover and surrounded by a chrome covering. The center cap can be removed with a blade screw driver or tire iron and cleaned with something like Mothers Mag And Alluminum Polish
05100-05101.jpg

The actual wire wheel is/was clear coated. If the coating has NOT been completely destroyed and eaten away, exposing the finished alluminum wheel, then a product like Mothers Wheel Mist All Wheel Cleaner should be used before each car wash. This is a GREAT product that I trust on my clear coated show car wheels.
05924.jpg

Apply the product exactly the way the manufacturer recommends and your wheels will look great.

60 Spoke Rims

OldSchool1 said:
Shame on you for not knowing about the reverend 60 spoke wire wheel option on the famed Lincoln Mark VII, Josh!

The entire "wheel" is everything except for the "center cap". The center cap houses the maroon backed Lincoln star under a clear cover and surrounded by a chrome covering. The center cap can be removed with a blade screw driver or tire iron and cleaned with something like Mothers Mag And Alluminum Polish
05100-05101.jpg

Thanks for the tip. I agree with Mothers mag polish, as it is what I use on the moon dish rims I have on my old Impala. But those are a cake walk to maintain.

What I was wondering was how people polish each spoke. It just seems like it would be tedious.

Also, I had no idea the spokes were part of the rim or that they were not stock. You mean my little Bill Blastmobile is special?

Dancy, I know about the wire wheels. I was saying that when she said "hub cap" I actually thought of the hub cap or "center cap" on the wheel and did not consider that she may be refering to the entire wheel as a "wheel cover." My car had them before I customized it. ;)

1986_MarkVII, the wire spokes are actually the wheel. They were standard rims on all Bill Blass Mark VII's.

Members online

No members online now.
Back