Correct coolant?

Pieces of 8

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I've done the oil adapter gasket , oh joy what fun that was , and I'm seeing on the coolant label a spec number for the coolant . Is this just good ol standard green stuff or does a 97 mk viii require something special? I'm going to need a crossover plug as I broke off a 1/4 to 3/8 adapter in it and ended up just using channel locks , not too bad if ya grab it in the same place for each turn didn't chew it up terrably I've read up on the fill procedure ..., but you guys have any tips of experience On fillin her coolant back up I appreciate the advice.
Many thanks and if this has been covered before my apologies . :D

I just talked to Kirk (fordnut) the other night about this...

Green stuff... that it

What about the Prestone "universal" yellow stuff? Just curious

Whatever car you're working on, Mark or not. Whatever comes out is what should go back in.

Whatever car you're working on, Mark or not. Whatever comes out is what should go back in.

iconcur.gif

I always use Prediluted name brand or napa green

I never use to purchase prediluted Mix and used to always push the straight stuff when I was working in parts because its cheaper...but I never have a water source worthy enough IMO to put back into the Mark. Dont really have any city water out this way...and that stuff is nasty as is. All well water has traces of sand.

I'd use Poland Springs before anything else....

But 50/50 green stuff is what you want for sure.

Thanks for the input and opinions guys , I managed to find a new cross over cap and oring my friendly ford parts dealer ordered me one , said it had to come from Detroit . So I will have a nice one and one with teeth.

Not only is he wrong, but you are too! 2fer!

Not hardly. That's why GM and Texaco were sued over Dexcool years ago and lost in court. Unfortunately the ruling was overturned by a judge that was obviously on their payroll.

OAT coolants are indeed bad. When mixed with silicates and allowed to run low in a corrosion prone cooling system...

Dexcool is bad news.....being in the automobile repair industry I have a strong dislike for that red crap

That makes no sense. If you're in the automotive service industry and it's really bad for people to use, you should be shouting it's praises to get more flagged hours.

Members online

No members online now.
Back