Cooled seats retrofit question?

mark0101

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Most of this is just info on what I have found so far, if you are lazy, just answer the questions in Bold. Thanks.

I am looking into retrofitting cooled seats into my Mark VIII but had some questions about them. First from my research I have found I can't use the LS system as it is integrated into the AC. If I were to use the LS, I would need the climate control unit and maybe the dash as it might be integrated by something called the CAN system. Here is a video of someone with an expedition.

[video=youtube;_LsQPymIVBw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LsQPymIVBw[/video]

You can see all the components that would be needed. 1. Does anyone know if the LS system is designed the same way where it needs the speedometer cluster?

I then dug deeper into this looking for other vehicles that came with cooled seats. Funny thing is, all the other cars that claim to have cooled seats are just ventilated seats. I have found only Ford, GM and Lexus LS 430 specifically use cooled seats using a device called a peltier. So bravo to the American companies for having true cooled seats.

I read one of the threads here that claimed the Aviators system is fully independent so it can be used to put in other vehicles. This is my plan if I can find any. Also Lincoln Blackwood and the Navigator from years 00-02 looks like they used the same system that would be independent, so that is another option. I think this was the first vehicle to actually have cooled seats and I think that is pretty cool. Again I don't think the Navigator from 03+ would work because of the CAN system.

y5am.jpg

Lincoln Aviators controls

8boe.jpg

Lincoln Blackwood and 00-02 Navigators

Here is a really good read of someone that did it. The only one on the net, can't believe it.
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f170/add-cooled-seats-25142/

Now for questions

2. Anyone have a pic of the LS seat cushions with the ducts? Need to see how the channels are designed.

3.Does the system turn off after a certain amount of time or does it stay on till you hit the button again to turn off?

4.When you have cooled seats on, do you feel any hot air under the seat? Not where your butt will be on the seat but UNDER the seat where the fan for the peltier device is.

5. Does it use the fans for heated function also or is that done by heating elements?

9bex.jpg

Lincoln LS peltier device with fan and ducts

So the way a peltier device works is that one side gets really cold while the other side gets really hot. The hot side needs to be vented but I don't see how it is being done on the Lincoln LS pic that I have shown above (reason why ask for the automatic shut off of the system). If someone has pics of it dissembled, that would be great.

Any advice or info you have on these system would be of great help if I have missed something. Oh and forget to add, you would need perforated leather seats for this system to work.

1. Don't know.
2. Yes.
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/fo...leather-How-To&p=927925&viewfull=1#post927925
3. Stays on always (restarts when you restart the car) when on auto. Shuts off (doesn't restart) when you turn the car off when on manual.
4. It does exhaust the heat under the seat, but I haven't felt it. (However, I haven't sat bare foot in the back seat.)
5. Yes, the fans are used when heating. There are no elements, they just reverse the current to the peltier devices, so that the side that was cold becomes hot and exhaust side becomes cold.

The hot side needs to be vented but I don't see how it is being done on the Lincoln LS pic
It is. The exhaust port is showing on the lower one of the two in your picture. It is facing up in the picture. If you take one of the ducts off of the device and look inside the device, you will see that the peltier device is in the middle and there are two heat sinks, one above and the other below. It's pretty clever. One stream of air is blow in to it on one side. Two streams come out the other side, one hot and one cold.

I guess the next step is to just get your hands dirty with one of these things. Thanks a lot for the help and the pics.

Members online

No members online now.
Back