Coolant reservoir bottle repair

Lincoln LS

1. lincoln_zero

lincoln_zero Dedicated LVC Member

Im sure this has prolly been asked before, but I can't find anything on it specifically for the LS.
    Micro fractures are rearing their ugly head. Ford wants $425 + 13% Canadian tax on said part amounting to $480... For a plastic bottle.

(The amount of tongue biting I'm doing to refrain from ranting and insulting Ford on here takes a great deal of self control).

Anyways, back to the purpose of this thread, due to the cracks being micro and being many, heating/melting isn't an option.
    So, how about heat resistant Epoxy? I found a little tid bit on it:

How to Repair a Coolant Reservoir Tank Leak

Looking for your thoughts on this repair method?

Or, really, looking for everyone to tell me this wont work on the LS because __________

But seriously, Lemme know what the dangers here are. Thanks fellas.

2. AmsterDutch

AmsterDutch Dedicated LVC Member

Have you considered the aluminum degas tank?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • joegr

joegr Dedicated LVC Member

I can't see how it would work for more than a day or three. The tank pressurizes and de-pressurizes over and over. Each time it flexes out and then back in. I think that would pop the epoxy off in short order.
      What about this?
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EIUMWL2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      Can you get that in Canada at a reasonable price? It's $65 in the US.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • DuKeNoMaD

DuKeNoMaD Active LVC Member

Or hit up a wrecker...or if your desperate I'll send u my spare. $tbd.

• lincoln_zero

$72 + shipping from the states. Might be an issue with Covid-19 wreaking havoc on shipping. I work for a courier business and its a disaster. But, its certainly cheaper than going through jugs of OEM Gold topping her up each trip.

Is there a flexible E-poxy? Some kind of rubbery high heat adhesive?

Edit:
        something like this:
        https://www.amazon.com/Technicqll-Temperature-Silicone-Adhesive-Resistant/dp/B006C65ZCO

Double Edit:
        I guess what I'm imagining in my head is, layering on some kind of thick ass coating of black goo, that hardens after say 24 hours, and sticks to the surface like a mofo. I can't imagine there not being a product such as this, cause I could see it being multi-purpose.

Triple Edit:
        FLEX SEAL! LOL
        Flex Seal Liquid – Liquid Rubber In A Can – Low Prices

It says up to 350 degrees (F)
        Q: What temperatures will Flex Seal Liquid® withstand?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020 at 3:04 PM
      • Robert Crain

Robert Crain Active LVC Member

I share your pain Lincoln_Zero. Most coolant bottles are made from either polypropylene or polyethylene plastics. Both types are formulated on purpose to be very slippery substances and neither is very conducive to being bonded with adhesives. If you want to try going the adhesive route, I suggest you search for a two-part polyurethane adhesive in lieu of an epoxy adhesive. Rough up the surface to give the adhesive something to lock on to and make sure the surface is squeaky clean. No guarantees this will work but it might be worth a shot. I don't think an epoxy adhesive will work. Just so you guys are aware, Gorilla glue is two-part, moisture-cured polyurethane glue whereby the part B component is moisture in the air. The water chemically reacts with the resin in the bottle to produce a strong adhesive. Next time you use a glue like that, dampen the surface a bit first before you spread the resin. Don't know if Gorilla glue however, has the industrial strength you'll need for that pressurized degas bottle. You could experiment on a plastic milk bottle first just to see. That aluminum bottle may be worth trying as well. Best of luck. Rob

• Robert Crain

Robert Crain Active LVC Member

Just to be clear, I am in no way recommending Gorilla glue as a viable fix for this project. I just threw in that extra information as I thought you might find it interesting in a general sense. Loctite makes a two-part polyurethane adhesive that I believe Grainger sells. Maybe worth a look. One can buy a bunch of the crappy Dorman bottles for the price of the Motorcraft bottle. Not an easy fix for sure. Rob

• lincoln_zero

Thats solid advice Rob, thank you.

At this point I already bought a can of liquid rubber. I'm gonna remove the bottle, clean it thoroughly and sand it to give the product as much of a chance to stick as possible. Then im gonna layer it on.

The product guarantee's several years of longevity, assuming its applied correctly. That said, if this works, I'm gonna go through my coolant system and coat anything plastic. But I won't do that until a few months from now, given the trial period for this product.

Will be attempting on the weekend. DONT LET ME DOWN PHIL SWIFT!

maxresdefault.jpg

• joshua

joshua LVC Member

Where do you purchase that one specifically??

• AmsterDutch

ebay or amazon

61esl1-oGhL._AC_AA180_.jpg

$105.00

• lincoln_zero

Just to update:

We pulled out the bottle. It was swelled up, and bursted open. Looked like a knife was plunged through it. Impossible to seal as well do to the material type as Robert Crain pointed out.

I have found one on amazon for $79.99 and ordered it. I was tempted to order the aluminum one off ebay, would cost $180 with shipping, but coming from china and its taking 3+ months for stuff to get here from china right now.

Thanks for advice and tips.

• Like Like x 1
        • AmsterDutch

If you order the aluminum NOW it will be at your house just in time for when the new Plastic one bust open again ...lol...J/K ...maybe

• Like Like x 1
          • lincoln_zero

My Brain: HAHA funny man here ^

My anxiety: Oh crap what if he isn't joking? *heavy breathing*

I'll prolly order aluminum one later this year. Right now I need this lincoln road worthy.

• Like Like x 1