Control console issues, rear end gear & muffler recommendations?

DSMDan

LVC Member
Reaction score
Just bought a '94 Mark VIII with a billion (175k) miles. I'm having fun with it so far but had a few questions.

1) The control console thing at the center of the dash seems messed up - no matter what buttons I hit (for example to set the clock, show mileage remaining, etc.) it says "Hit Reset to Clear" and won't do anything when I hit reset. I think the reset button doesn't work at all and that's what's going on, but it's hard to say. Are you supposed to have to hit reset after most buttons being pressed? The system check feature works fine.

2) Is this a normal Ford 8.8 rear? I have some gears I never put into my Mustang (3.73s) that I wanted to put in. Maybe I'll get 4.10s instead because this thing's a dog in 1st.

3) I want to know what mufflers you'd recommend that I can buy at any old muffler shop to make the exhaust sound better. I am considering magnaflows because of the availability and generally good sound. I want something pretty loud and deep. I don't want chrome tips or anything fancy looking out back.

DSMDan said:
... I don't want chrome tips or anything fancy looking out back.

Heh, that's what I said too.
exhaust3.jpg

1. You can attempt to clean the switches in the panel or pick up a used replacement.

2. The ring & pinion are Ford 8.8

3. Opinion has it that Dynomax UltraFlows sound best in a stock application.

I wish you all could hear the used Borla's that I snagged from an 02 Saleen Mustang. They were kind quiet at first but, now 3 months down the road, sounds like a pack of wild dogs coming outta the pipes at WOT!!!

DOHCtor_Mark said:
... sounds like a pack of wild dogs coming outta the pipes at WOT!!!

With such description, I can only imagine. :waving:

Then you have never heard ours on a stock Mark.

Frankly I haven't. Any LMS systems I've heard were cat-back setups - not stock.

I meant no harm, didn't even say what MY opinion was. I've heard a lot of complaints of other brands in the past. I've also been told the UltraFlows sounds terrible w/o cats. Mine are OK, but most would probably say they're too quiet.

driller said:
Frankly I haven't. Any LMS systems I've heard were cat-back setups - not stock.

I meant no harm, didn't even say what MY opinion was. I've heard a lot of complaints of other brands in the past. I've also been told the UltraFlows sounds terrible w/o cats. Mine are OK, but most would probably say they're too quiet.

I knew there wasn't ny harm, I was just making a point. They sound awesome on a stock Mark.

ONEBADMK8 said:
I knew there wasn't ny harm, I was just making a point. They sound awesome on a stock Mark.

Mufflers....well,i have had the magnaflows ,and they were o.k., the LMS sound awesome!!!!!,but (sorry geno) but they were a little outta my price range,they also look awesome!!!!
Check e bay,heres what i bought and are going to install,original ford parts 2005 Ford Mustang GT mufflers and tips.Have you heard these things? go to the dealership and listen to one,awesome!!!there is also sound clips at www.fordvehicles.com and go to the mustang area. the best part i paid 61.00 for both!!!!,they will go on this spring,and i will put up pics and try to get sound clips.

So my opinion LMS first, then magnaflow,dynomax,check e bay for anything,just stay away from blow i mean flowmasters.

BTW, if you go with 4:10's, sell me your 3:73's :Beer

30_2.jpg

I guess I'm just going to put 3.73s in the car since I already have them. My friend's a mechanic at Ford and is hooking me up w/ the install. :)

Members online

No members online now.
Back