Column Shifter vs Floor Shifter.

ALBUNDY

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
What's up Eldo & Seville guys. I was wondering if any of you guys/girls prefer a column shifter or a floor shifter? The reason I ask is because when I brought my Eldo(96ESC) it came with a floor shifter and I felt that since this is a luxury coupe or sedan it would automatically come with a floor shifter no doubt but I started seeing other Caddys with column shifters. I thought column shifter were a thing of the past or just used in pickup trucks, so since its still around there must be some type of demand or preference for them, so which would you prefer?

floor shifter if you are willing to give up a seat. I like it in the floor

Come on guys just post yea or nea or give up some info.

I perfer the floor shifter.It just looks better.The space is filled in and its not so plain with just nothing being there.Up until the Sevilles and Eldorados of the late 1980s and 1990's there was no such thing as a floor shifter in a Caddy.And I think its the same for Lincoln,up until the Marks of the late 80's.Now its hard to get a Caddy with a column shifter unless you go a Escalade or Deville.But now with the DTS only a handfull of those get column shifters.I think its just a better touch.With the floor shifter the open space isn't there.

You say its hard to find a Caddy with a column shifter but it surprised me when I saw so many on this small Caddy lott near me. Thats whats made me start this post because I did'nt think they were being used any more in autos not to mention a luxury coupe/sedan.

Its hard to find a column shifter in a new Cadillac is what I meant.Or even from the mid-late 90's.The Catera,Deville Concourse,Seville SLS and STS and Eldorado ESC and ETC all have floor shifters.The Deville and 99 Esclade were the only Cadillacs you could get with a column shifter.

For me they are about the same because i drive my eldo and a pick up. I think if you are going to be moving a lot of stuff or people its good to have that extra space but just as well if you are just going to be cruising or just day to day stuff back and forth between places i myself wouldnt want that void in the middle of the front. But to more answer the original question i think in trucks and suvs you need the column and for coupes and sedans i would prefer a floor shifter but as well the column shifter in a bigger sized sedan for a family would be better suited. But no matter the size of a coupe it looks best only with a floor shifter

My 1990 Eldo has a floor shifter and my 04 Expedition has a column shifter. Go figure? I like them both. The only problem is if I drive the Caddy for a few days and then drive the Expedition, I reach for the floor shifter that is not there. Then when I drive the Eldo, my first instinct is to shift the column shifter that is on the floor. This is almost as complex a problem as deciding between paper and plastic bags at the grocery store.

Personally, the floor shifter has a more sporty feel and works well with bucket seats. A bench seat and floor shifter could be a problem for the family jewels of the person sitting in the center. Especailly when shifting into low...

This is a simple thread but this is a dry site so what is your problem(Eldo owner's on this site), with a simple comment in this subject. WTF.

Al:

My girlfriend and I discussed this issue of floor vs. column shifter over a margarita. Her take on the issue is who cares? When she is driving with me the only shifter she is concerned about is the one between my legs. :leghumper

Now, I'm not trying to improve my post or responses. All I trying to do is get to know some of the members on this forum. Trust me I will help anyone I can with my limited Caddy knowledge but if you have something to add no matter how trivial, please do. This is a chat forum. Where is the chat? As I said before I'm not a uptight person but if I can help give this forum some type of community I will, so don't be surprised if I try to push the envelope. BTW hello CadillaceTC1997, you know where I know you from.

I drive a Buick LeSabre with a column shifter. the car has a huge arm rest which I love. Nothing like tooling down the freeway with my right arm draped over that massive and comfortable arm rest. If I had a floor shifter, there would not be enough room for such a generous arm rest. That's why the arm rests on cars with floor shifters are so puny (I call them elbow rests!). Otherwise they'd get in the way of your arm while shifting.

Members online

No members online now.
Back