Cold morning problems

bigorangesob

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I have a 00 LS V6, and on cold mornings this darn thing doesn't wanna stay running, when I start up first thing the rpm gauge hits about 3000, then settles down around 2000 and then starts to sputter and die, I try to keep to keep on the gas just a little to keep it from dying but no dice, after dying a couple of times, it will finally stay running and is fine the rest of the day, someone suggested the IAC valve, which kinda made sense, found 1 for about $50 bucks so I swapped it out with no change, (should I have discconected the battery to reset after the IAC change), just wondering if anyone has had this problem and if you sovled it, any help would be appreciated.

I've also experienced the same sort of thing. Anything colder then -20 to -25, my 01 V6 can crank over and over and sometimes fires up but only for a few seconds until it does again. Once it starts it'll last all day.
What exactly is the IAC valve and should I try swapping mine out?
Thanks a lot!

I've also experienced the same sort of thing. Anything colder then -20 to -25, my 01 V6 can crank over and over and sometimes fires up but only for a few seconds until it does again. Once it starts it'll last all day.
What exactly is the IAC valve and should I try swapping mine out?
Thanks a lot!

IAC valve (Idle air control) regulates the air/vaccum at idle to keep the engine from dying and/or idling too high. I know the v8's use an idle control system that doesn't have a valve, but the v6's do have a valve I'm quite sure. Seema like a cheap investment to rule it out if it doesn't address your issue.

... I know the v8's use an idle control system that doesn't have a valve, but the v6's do have a valve I'm quite sure. ...

Sorry, you're a little mixed up here.
Gen I, V6 and V8 use an idle air bypass valve to control engine idle.
Gen II, V6 and V8 use the main throttle to control engine idle.

Maybe it was the PCV valve you were thinking of. The V6 has one, but the V8 does not.

Sorry, you're a little mixed up here.
Gen I, V6 and V8 use an idle air bypass valve to control engine idle.
Gen II, V6 and V8 use the main throttle to control engine idle.

Maybe it was the PCV valve you were thinking of. The V6 has one, but the V8 does not.

Ahh okay, thanks

We were in OKC in Jan. '82 when I was going to the FAA Academy. We went out one late morning to go grocery shopping and our '78 Plymouth Sapporo wouldn't start AT ALL!!!! It was tha cold! It would crank very slowly, but wouldn't start. I finally gave up and we walked the half mile or so to the store and got a few things; freezing all the way!!!

The IAC on the V6 is located on the throttle body in the front. its about $25 on ebay to replace. two nuts and connector. if old go ahead and replace. I've done my 3 times in 13 years of ownership. the next thing to look at on the v6 if this does not fix the problem is a vacuum leak. most likely culprit is the vacuum line boot at the rear of the engine coming from the throttle body, it connects to the PCV and rubber elbow. check the solid plastic vacuum line and boots for cracks, if all ok, then suspect the PCV elbow.

Thanks I'll give it a looksey in a couple of days, it's supposed warmer than, at least above freezing, never thought I would have to wait for a warm day in Tennessee

also check the selenoids for the secondary air injection the medal rod may be harder to turn in cold weather its the fuel injection version of a choke

Members online

No members online now.
Back