cold/hard start issues, wondering if anyone has had same issue? 06 LS

There is evidence of a aftermarket alarm system that was once installed. Almost wondering if that could be playing a role in the issue?

not if it was installed normally. alarm systems have a "starter kill" relay that when active will keep the starter wire from getting power and not allow the starter to start the car...

so if the starter is turning this should* not be the case.

* so the reason I use the word "should" is because while it is supposed to be hooked up to the starter wire, it can be hooked up to any wire that would keep the car from starting or running.

for instance, I have been asked to add extra layers of protection by adding another relay to interrupt either an ignition** wire (to keep the engine from being able to fire) or a fuel pump wire (to keep the pump from even turning on until disarmed) so if there were wires cut and poorly repaired when removed, then i guess it could be possible to keep the engine from starting up but still allow it to turn over.

** if you look at the ignition wire of the car, you will find one has been tapped into, and it may have even been ran to a terminal on the starter kill relay (either 85 or 86), this doesn't mean that this method of anti theft was used. it is normal to have a wire ran to an ignition wire to operate properly, it needs to be able to see when the key is being turned on and off or some body is also trying to hotwire the car. it can also be used as the positive input to the starter kill relay (with a trigger from the alarm brain controlling the negative input) this way the starter kill relay is not being powered up the entire time the car is sitting with the alarm armed. the relay is only active when the alarm is armed (negative relay coil) AND the ignition is powered up (positive relay coil)

Check your fuel pump relay. I had a similar issue with my 95 Ranger. It's in the trunk. Relay number 7. I could tap on mine and it would start. If the other relays are the same, you may be able to switch to test it.
1.jpg2.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

I have had this happen twice since I got my most recent 2006 LS. I got it in April. I had to do as Joe said, push the gas all the way to the floor and worked fine afterwards.

I have had all but 2 of the coils replaced and all plugs replaced.

I realize this is a really old thread, but I am having the exact same issue as Ben Seilheimer. Cranks and cranks, but won't start, only when it's really cold outside and it sits for several hours. If I attempt to crank it over again and again it will eventually start and run great... or wait until it warms up outside and it will start right up.

3 days in a row now I go out at 5AM to start the car, it's about 30 degrees outside, does nothing but crank, I wait until 9AM and it's about 50 degrees out, starts up and runs great.

I replaced the fuel pump and battery this week and still does it. Has anybody solved this issue? HELP!!!

I realize this is a really old thread, but I am having the exact same issue as Ben Seilheimer. Cranks and cranks, but won't start, only when it's really cold outside and it sits for several hours. If I attempt to crank it over again and again it will eventually start and run great... or wait until it warms up outside and it will start right up.

3 days in a row now I go out at 5AM to start the car, it's about 30 degrees outside, does nothing but crank, I wait until 9AM and it's about 50 degrees out, starts up and runs great.

I replaced the fuel pump and battery this week and still does it. Has anybody solved this issue? HELP!!!
Your description is a near-miss in comparison to cold-start problems dealt with by a Ford technical service bulletin. I ran across TSB # 03-7-3 with the ALLDATA information system.

This one deals with a hard-start condition due to flooding, but only -- I repeat, only -- if the problem occurs with ambient temperatures between 30 and 40 degrees F, and humidity above 75 percent. Sounds like a cold rain, to me.

"The fix for the 2002 model year LS (V6 or V8) is an updated calibration for the powertrain control module (your engine's computer). But you said it also happened in the summer, and the bulletin is very specific as far as "not" using this fix if the problem occurs anywhere outside the specific temperature and humidity parameters.

If it is cranking away in a warmer/dryer climate, move on. Possible causes are then wide spread. The IAC valve, which controls idle speed, is on the list, but that's where another bulletin comes into play. Ford TSB # 03-3-5 deals with accurately diagnosing, or not, the IAC valve as the cause of the problem. Aside from that, an intermittent extended-crank can be caused by ignition issues, too much or too little fuel, so on and so forth." Not sure what year your LS is but this is some info on the Gen 1 202 Lincoln LS ...not sure if this will help just thought I would share it anyway ...all my best

You can always take out your IAC and clean it and reinstall it see if it gets any better...or replace it all together with a new one ...I think it's like $54 dollars or so ...I think you have a Gen 1 but IAC only apply to 2000-2002 ( Not 2003-2006) all my best

Your description is a near-miss in comparison to cold-start problems dealt with by a Ford technical service bulletin. I ran across TSB # 03-7-3 with the ALLDATA information system.

This one deals with a hard-start condition due to flooding, but only -- I repeat, only -- if the problem occurs with ambient temperatures between 30 and 40 degrees F, and humidity above 75 percent. Sounds like a cold rain, to me.

"The fix for the 2002 model year LS (V6 or V8) is an updated calibration for the powertrain control module (your engine's computer). But you said it also happened in the summer, and the bulletin is very specific as far as "not" using this fix if the problem occurs anywhere outside the specific temperature and humidity parameters.

If it is cranking away in a warmer/dryer climate, move on. Possible causes are then wide spread. The IAC valve, which controls idle speed, is on the list, but that's where another bulletin comes into play. Ford TSB # 03-3-5 deals with accurately diagnosing, or not, the IAC valve as the cause of the problem. Aside from that, an intermittent extended-crank can be caused by ignition issues, too much or too little fuel, so on and so forth." Not sure what year your LS is but this is some info on the Gen 1 202 Lincoln LS ...not sure if this will help just thought I would share it anyway ...all my best

That was very helpful for me as well, I also have the same issue with my gen1 v8. Does anyone know where I can find a ABS control module w/pump? Refurbished preferably or close to new.

Members online

Back