Cold Air Intake...worth the money??

06AtlantaLS

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
The guys that have the CAI systems...do you like them and is it worth it? If there are some genuine gains I'd like to get one. Also, how loud are they? While some people want to hear their LS growl I don't really know if I want to.

I love mine

I love the look and sound of mine. It did increase acceleration noticeably. I still got spanked by a 3.5 Nissan Maximan 0-60. I do have 20s, door kit, and system that adds quite a bit of weight though.

I like mine as well. If your not interested in hearing your engine, then I wouldn't suggest getting one. But I love the way it makes it sound. Would sound even better if I could convince the wife to get a set of the magna-flows. As for power gains, I can tell a difference between the two. It's not going to throw you back in your seat, but I went from driving with one for about 9 months, to just recently taking it off for some warranty work. I couldn't wait to put it back on. The car felt like a slug under acceleration.

However, if you are looking for performance, then I'd consider saving up for the X-cal 2. Most ppl will say it is the best bang for your buck. I'd really like to get one, but I've not been able to convince myself that messing with the PCM of the car is good in the long run.

Boomhower said:
I like mine as well. If your not interested in hearing your engine, then I wouldn't suggest getting one. But I love the way it makes it sound. Would sound even better if I could convince the wife to get a set of the magna-flows. As for power gains, I can tell a difference between the two. It's not going to throw you back in your seat, but I went from driving with one for about 9 months, to just recently taking it off for some warranty work. I couldn't wait to put it back on. The car felt like a slug under acceleration.

However, if you are looking for performance, then I'd consider saving up for the X-cal 2. Most ppl will say it is the best bang for your buck. I'd really like to get one, but I've not been able to convince myself that messing with the PCM of the car is good in the long run.

YOU SAW THE DEAL ON THE EXHAUST, RIGHT! Under 500 bucks shipped.
I am also considering the Xcal2. I dont like getting beat by stock Maximas. I have to spend more money to make up for the extra weight I have added.

Consider getting the X-Cal, it costs less than the X-Cal2 and you can get the same tunes. There are less features, but the original X-Cal costs less and can provide the same type of acceleration that the X-Cal2 could do. I currently have an aluminum air intake and an X-Cal tune and ran a G35 coupe. Not beating it but, I didn't get walked off on either - my nose to his front tire. Just putting out another option.

decibels5 said:
YOU SAW THE DEAL ON THE EXHAUST, RIGHT! Under 500 bucks shipped.
I am also considering the Xcal2. I dont like getting beat by stock Maximas. I have to spend more money to make up for the extra weight I have added.

Oh yeah, I saw it. But the wife thinks it will be too load. I tried to point it out to her one day that Gray Ghost and I were playing around, but all she said she heard was the intake. But somehow that still didn't sink in.

Midas78 said:
Consider getting the X-Cal, it costs less than the X-Cal2 and you can get the same tunes. There are less features, but the original X-Cal costs less and can provide the same type of acceleration that the X-Cal2 could do. I currently have an aluminum air intake and an X-Cal tune and ran a G35 coupe. Not beating it but, I didn't get walked off on either - my nose to his front tire. Just putting out another option.

I didn't realize there was a difference. I just took it that the X-cal 2 was the upgraded version of the X-cal.....Thxs for the info.

so just how loud is the intake? also, how loud is the magnaflow system? i dont want my LS to sound like a cobra =)

06AtlantaLS said:
so just how loud is the intake? also, how loud is the magnaflow system? i dont want my LS to sound like a cobra =)

You really won't notice the CAI until you lay into the throttle. At idle you'll hear a sucking sound from under the hood, b/c there is no box to surround the filter and the filter itself is quite a bit larger. More air flow!!! I really don't know how to explain the sound from that point on. Maybe someone else can give you a better idea.

As for the magna-flow, from what I've experienced with other LS's, (because I can't get one:Bang), It's pretty much the same way. Idle sounds very much like the factory exhaust system, but you get the low rumble tone when you kick on it.

Neither will have your car sounding like a cobra.

Depending on your time frame, you could always wait until you hear the way another LS sounds. Didn't you say you'd be interested in riding the dragon with us the first week in Feb.? Hopefully Ken will be able to make it and you could hear both on his car. Also, I think there are some sound clips floating around on here with some exhaust systems. I'm thinkin those were flow master though.

decibels5 said:
I love the look and sound of mine. It did increase acceleration noticeably. I still got spanked by a 3.5 Nissan Maximan 0-60. I do have 20s, door kit, and system that adds quite a bit of weight though.
Even with 20s I wouldn't fear a 3.5 Maxima, Altima maybe a different story. I've ran 15.0s with 20s on. 14.5 without 20s but the Maxima will not run away from you unless your floor mat is stuck under your pedal.

I'd rank the aforementioned mods in order of preference, based upon what I perceived to be increased HP:

CAI - you won't know you got it unless you punch it
Borla/Magnaflow Exhaust - considerably louder and it sounds great
XCal2 - most noticeable difference for me was in shift points

decibels5 said:

I'm new here but shouldn't the LS V8 whoop up on a V6, maybe that Maxima had something else done to it?

00-02 V8 LS's make a factory claimed 252hp, and similiar torque. Those Nissan 6's now make around 270hp..260 a couple of years ago. And the Altimas and Maximas are lighter in weight than the LS's.

The 03+ V8 LS's are rated around 280hp with similiar torque..even with the weight disadvantage, they should have no problem dealing with the Maximas/Altimas

I just got a CAI for my V-6 and I love the way it sounds. Its sounds nice and chill under normal acceleration, but then under heavy acceleration it makes that whoosing sound. Its freakin sweet. I would Highly recommend it.

06AtlantaLS said:

It's not that loud. My wife actually approves of it and she hates "redneck exhaust". She likes the way it sounds. I also have the KKM intake.

Here are two examples of my car. The first one is the magnaflow system with the resonators in place:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3a1Up5vmc8

The second one is with the resonators removed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjpD-WfrUS8

Osain, Nice!!!
That in what you do, show the exhaust under load.
A+++

fuzzyb said:
Osain, Nice!!!
That in what you do, show the exhaust under load.
A+++

Thanks! That was the point. I wanted to be able to show people what it sounded like so they could make an informed decision.:D

Midas.. You said you kept up with a G35? The other night a guy wanted to go, & we both jumped about the same time, him maybe just a bit quicker & he just walked. No other way to look at it. Just left me in the dust. Now the new ones make 305HP, but I figured the older versions made close to that. What mods do you have? (not to highjack)

06ATL, get the CAI. We have the same car and trust me, it makes a difference. Like the others have said, you can barely hear the sound. Only when you floor it can you hear a big difference. On my '02, I had the CAI and Borla exhaust and the sound was great. Not too loud but louder than stock. A nice low grumble.

Well you guys have sold me on the CAI. As for the exhaust I'll wait until i hear it on a car. Thanks for the clips too...awesome! I definitely wanna run the dragon with you guys. What are the exact details so I can go ahead and get off work?

as for the maximas...those bastards are fast. my wife has an 05 maxima SE and it will fly. we've never raced but every time i get out of the LS and think how fast it is I drive her car and second guess myself. not a bad car to pump out almost as many horses are the LS with 2 less cylinders.

Members online

No members online now.
Back