Coilovers

The Supra was very squat heavy. That 4" could have used 2" like our LS. Damper would be a major concern. In the rear we're good. For this setup we're making the rear a problem. Fronts are good I agree, back is a big deal.

I've honestly just been considering going with Bilstein B6 shocks and H&R springs. Ends up being around $1000 for all 4 corners. The whole coil-over conversion is just becoming an albatross.

The whole coil-over conversion is just becoming an albatross.

True it blows we have to do all this research on our own since there is no aftermarket. I' m just one man, i don' t know any performance shops, i don' t know any industry insiders, I don' t have any hook ups on anything, i don' t have any resources but the internet.

The whole goal is to not spend $3000 on coilovers. Or if Supra shocks fit, we can use their Bilsteins or other performance shocks not necessarily have to be coilovers. And if this all works, we can let those companies know that "hey your shock fits on a Lincoln LS with very little modification, can we possibly be in talks with your company to develop this product further, the demand is very high...." lol what a dream.

i did buy a complete LS front shock assembly from Ebay to compare the Supra shock to. but it wont come in till next week. Then i can take the LS spring and top plate and put it on the Supra shock to see if it fits.

On a side note, about 3 years ago, I went to gasgoo.com and emailed a company in China about making LED taillights and they were on board but life got in the way and i never shipped them the stock samples...it was crazy, they didn' t ask for any research money or anything. They just wanted the stock tail lights to design with.

I've honestly just been considering going with Bilstein B6 shocks and H&R springs. Ends up being around $1000 for all 4 corners. The whole coil-over conversion is just becoming an albatross.
But where's the fun in that? What if you don't like the ride? Or it's too high? Can't adjust it.

But where's the fun in that? What if you don't like the ride? Or it's too high? Can't adjust it.

LOL, I can't adjust it now so it's not like there is an option I feel is worth it. Sometimes it's nice to just bolt things on. Everything with this car seems to be an uphill battle as far as mods go. Not that the thinking part bothers me, it just becomes exhausting at times.

And since I no longer have access to a mill, lathe, TIG welder, and other fun machine shop equipment, it is frustrating too. But ohh well.

Anyone know what the spring rate is for our cars compared to the Eibachs? I am spinning some ideas in my head.

I'm starting to work on my own. Maybe we can bounce ideas off of each other.

I used to know what the spring rates were, but I've since forgotten. I know the Gen2 has a lower rate then the Gen1 for a better ride and that the shock was adjusted for the handling aspect on the Gen2. No clue what any of that actually is in empirical terms.

Maybe we can call H&R or Eibach and they can tell us the stock spring rate.

In addition to the spring rate, we would need to know the perch height on the stock shock. That is, the distance from the eyelet where it bolts to the A-Arm to where the spring perch is. That combined with the OEM spring rate would allow us to start looking for a physically compatible set-up. After that it just becomes guessing if the shock has a dampening profile that will work with the LS.

I'm going to give Eibach and Afco a call today. I'll discuss spring rates. I was pricing and can probably fab a set for less than $1000. Not really going to be that tough because I have all the equipment. I'll keep everyone updated throughout the process. I'm going to look for a spring rate that has comfort but gives sportiness. Nice that the LS has near perfect weight distribution. I want to get rid of that nasty turn in dip this car has.

I want to get rid of that nasty turn in dip this car has.

A progressive spring is probably the best solution. Get a decent ride quality while cruising while a sportier feel with anything aggressive.

But a progressive spring can also cause a sling shot affect after coming out of a corner. Remember progressive springs double in rate every inch. In turn, once the car launches out of the corner, all of that compressed energy is released to the other side. A linear spring with a helper spring may be needed to even out the "flow"!!

But a progressive spring can also cause a sling shot affect after coming out of a corner. Remember progressive springs double in rate every inch. In turn, once the car launches out of the corner, all of that compressed energy is released to the other side. A linear spring with a helper spring may be needed to even out the "flow"!!

Money and time will fix anything. Just thinking of the complexity of a helper spring. A stiffer swaybar would help too. Use the sway bar out of a jag STR

A helper spring will keep the coil spring indexed in upper spring retainer when you put the car on a jack or go over a hill to fast to the point your car almost or does become a little airborne. I'm thinking around 325lb/in front and 275lb/in rear given a 51/49 weight distribution. Don't want too stiff or it'll look like a ricer burner on cut springs.

Why you starting to work on your own? You initiated the Stance coilover build.

Cause its taken them over twice as long as they initially told me. I need mine in 1 month... Might finish before they do.

If you guys give me time, I will have something for everyone. I don't like saying what I am doing until I have completed the R&D process. Marc already knows I don't like doing that. If I do, then it gets everyone's hopes up and if it doesn't work or something goes wrong, I'd rather it be me and my car taking the hit, rather than 20 or 30 people. After I get done with R&D and testing, I will post what I have. I am trying to take everything into account. Bear with me please. I'd rather it be my money spent than you guys money spent and not have it right.

Members online

Back