Coilovers

centason

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I know that the KWs will fit from the Jag, but is there anything close that can be modified to fit? I'm a welder on the side with 6g cert. It won't be a problem to modify bottoms and tops. I know the full travel of the shocks from extended, compressed, damper travel, blah, blah, blah. Little longer would actually be better but not by much, I can make up for it in spring travel. You can expect a write up if I can get some answers. I just need to finish fixing all the suspension problems first, and then on to R&D and retrofit. Thanks for the replies.

Ya want a set bad, but we need people, and I want coil overs. LOL $3000 it's nuts for coil overs. I got cash in hand but that thread doesn't progress. Stance makes a great product for Toyota, trust me. We need to get these on the street. We deserve some after market support for suspension other than the norm.

Anyone have an extra sport shock to spare? I have an idea. Let me live a little. Lol

$3000??

I thought the stance coilovers will be less than $1500 all four.

$3000??

I thought the stance coilovers will be less than $1500 all four.
No the KW are expensive. I've seen them for 2700 the cheapest. I have an idea in mind, will probably end up buying a shock to test. We need something good. I can fab like an SOB. Just need some initiative.

PM me for a discussion regarding fabbing mounts to mount generic aftermarket coil-overs.

KS

If you need a sport shock just for the sake of r&d, I have one you can have as I just pulled mine to put euros on. It's the front passenger's, I was going to throw it in the bin to go to the scrap yard but it's yours for the price of shipping.

1st pic is the Tein Super Street coilovers for a Lexus
2nd pic is random supra coilover pic showing the 3 stud top plate of the majority of $600 coilovers. Yet the bottom of the coilover mount is an eye mount just like the LS.
3rd (the small pic) is the stock Lincoln top plate

internet research has shown me that any coilover with an "eye" bottom should be adaptable. But if we find a coilover with the bottom eye mount all we need is someone who can fab a top mount. LS uses a 4 stud top plate while most other vehicle shocks use a 3 stud.

The Tein ss do not come with a top plate when you buy them. so in theory someone could buy the Teins' then use the stock lincoln top plate.

questions are: Will the stock lincoln top plate fit the coilover springs of the Tein SS?
Can someone fabricate a top plate that is adaptable for the LS using the $600 coilover parts?

Tein SS retail for $1100. The $600 ebay coilovers from different manufacturers for many diff cars only come in the 3 stud top plate which wont fit the LS shock towers......unless someone drills new holes in their shock tower to fit the 3 stud top plate. from what ive seen the LS shock towers where the studs go through aren' t really reinforced so maybe drilling new holes wont be a bad idea??? Or drill holes then fab a reinforcement plate like older BMWs have.....?

The most similar shock i found was the MKIII Supra (87-92). i bought a front Supra shock but didnt have a front LS to compare. I never bolted on the Supra shock to the LS. That year Supra almost weighs close to the LS. Supra is 3500+lbs (wikipedia). And they do make Tein SS for the MKIII supra.

teinsslexus.jpg

supracoil.jpg

linctop.jpeg

LSengine.jpg

Fabbing is not a problem whatsoever for me. I have full access to welding machines, and a mass amount of metal. I can fab plates all day. Question is the width of the bottom shock mount, and the size of the bolt that goes through the eye. Side to side play can be made up by shimming, but up and down on that bolt will cause stress.

I've owned 3 MKIII Supras all with Tein suspension. If you still have that shock, could you measure it? If it's close then we have a starting point. Teins would be super nice on the LS. It would get rid of the heavy dip in cornering. All of them are bottom bolted too, so yet another good sign.

I've owned 3 MKIII Supras all with Tein suspension. If you still have that shock, could you measure it? If it's close then we have a starting point. Teins would be super nice on the LS. It would get rid of the heavy dip in cornering. All of them are bottom bolted too, so yet another good sign.
The body length for the Supra shocks is 3 inches shorter. The extended length is really close. Damper travel is over 4 where our is 2.63. It may or may not work. Both cars are heavy though.

Here's the shock spec's as far as function goes:

LS Measure Front Rear
Body Length 17.250" 12.625"
Compressed Length 17.750" 13.125"
Extended Length 20.375" 17.375"
Travel 2.625" 4.250"

I'd want to make sure that the shocks you are looking at are relatively close in terms of functional dimensions. If the shock is too short or too long then you limit your range of adjustment. If you like where you end up then it's all good though. If anything a shorter shock would give you more usability when lowered since almost everyone wants to drop their LS an inch or more.

Last edited:
The body length for the Supra shocks is 3 inches shorter. The extended length is really close. Damper travel is over 4 where our is 2.63. It may or may not work. Both cars are heavy though.

I'd be more concerned with the compressed and extended length since that's going to be the critical measurement from the tower down to the a-arm. The body length isn't as critical on an adjustable coil-over since you will be setting the spring perch where you want it.

Here's the Supra. Front

SS1:q
Body Length 14.625":q
Compressed Length 15.625":q
Extended Length 20.500":q
Travel Length 4.875":q
Dust Shield No:q
Parts Pack(s) P762:q
Compressed Bumper Stop No:q
Extended Bumper Stop Yes:q
Compressed Hydraulic Lockout No:q
Extended Hydraulic Lockout No:q

Not sure how I said a bad word, lol

Rear

SS1:q
Body Length 13.125":q
Compressed Length 13.625":q
Extended Length 21.500":q
Travel Length 7.875":q
Dust Shield No:q
Parts Pack(s) P762:q
Compressed Bumper Stop No:q
Extended Bumper Stop Yes:q
Compressed Hydraulic Lockout No:q
Extended Hydraulic Lockout No:q

Looks like the general specs on the front shock would work. The compressed length on the rear shock is actually bigger then the LS, so not sure if you could go as low in the back as the front. Depends on how the upper part mounts in the block. Would have to compare the actual parts.

I am interested in this. I desperately need new shocks and struts.

Members online

Back