cobra intake swap question

Blkdvll

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Ive searched, and searched, and searched, but haven't found concrete answers.

Car is a '97 LSC. Questions are:

Can I reuse my IRMC's? I read yes ONCE but couldn't back up this answer. By doing this I wouldn't have to change fuel rails, or splice and electrical correct?

Can I use my OEM IAC or do I need to run a Cobra IAC? If I have to run a Cobra IAC is it a plug and play?

I read that the OEM throttle body can but reused, but has to be flipped upside down? Does anything need to be done to the throttle cable, cuise control etc?

What additional parts/modifications are necessary to do this swap?

Ive searched, and searched, and searched, but haven't found concrete answers.

Car is a '97 LSC. Questions are:

Can I reuse my IRMC's? I read yes ONCE but couldn't back up this answer. By doing this I wouldn't have to change fuel rails, or splice and electrical correct?

Can I use my OEM IAC or do I need to run a Cobra IAC? If I have to run a Cobra IAC is it a plug and play?

I read that the OEM throttle body can but reused, but has to be flipped upside down? Does anything need to be done to the throttle cable, cuise control etc?

What additional parts/modifications are necessary to do this swap?

What the hell are IMRC's?

Also what Cobra Intake are you trying to swap? 96-00 or 03-04?

Might be a stupid question but after looking at mine, I think I have to swap out my heads to 03's for the blower setup.

Are the IMRC's the intake runner plates with the throttle like plate in them?

you can use Lincoln IMRCs, yes you can use the Lincoln IAC, and yes you can use the Lincoln throttle body, i ended up using a cobra throttle cable because the Lincoln cable was to long. I heard the entire cruise control unit has to be moved and remounted, I've never done it cause I'm to damn lazy. also your going to have to extend the wires to the TPS, and the other sensor on the intake tube, also you have to re rig the vac lines and modify the intake tube or just get a cobra

You can reuse your IMRCs, IAC, and throttle body. For the throttle body, to work on the cobra intake it needs to be mounted upside down. I also had to get some of those helper springs from the "help" section of the auto parts store to help the TB close. Without that, the pedal way way too light, and it didn't want to return when you let off the gas. Also as was mentioned, the cruise control cable won't reach the new location. One of these days I'll pull the cable and take it to the junkyard to measure against other cars to see if I can find one long enough, but for now my car just doesn't have cruise control. Another issue is the fuel rails. You can use your Lincoln fuel rails, but you will have to grind down a bit on the upper plenum to clear the fuel pressure regulator. Also, I remember there was an issue with EGR where I couldn't run it on my car, and I think it was due to it would interfere with the fuel rails, but it has been a while and I don't remember for sure if that is what it was, or if it was something else that it interfered with. Also, I had a real PITA with the intake tube of all things. I had the 96-98 cobra intake tube, but it wouldn't quite go from the TB to the MAF. The lincoln tube was nowhere close. I sat there for a while trying to maybe combine the 2 somehow, or cut and modify the lincoln tube, but really couldn't come up with anything. What I finally did was go to the ricer aisle of Pep Boys and they have cone filters and adapters to bolt to a Ford MAF and go into an intake tube. I bought both of those, then took the MAF out of its housing in the airbox, and cut opened the end of the airbox that goes to the intake tube, then mounted the MAF on the adapter, going into the intake tube, and then the cone filter is hidden inside the stock airbox. It is a bit tricky to get it out because you have to basically remove the MAF, filter, airbox, and intake tube all together, then put them all back together, but it works and until you start looking close it does look stock, and I'm still getting the cold air from behind the inner fender instead of hot air from the engine bay. I think that's about it. Be prepared for a few hours of cursing all the little details, but in the end it will be worth it. My car picked up a lot from it, plus it looks so much better than that 97/98 lincoln manifold.

the EGR won't hook up unless you get the cobra rail and EGR tube,
For Blenderhead what kind of spring did you use for the throttle body I'm have my pedal is way to light, although I don't mind tapping it and taking off

If you go to autozone, or advance, or any of those places they should have the "help" section, with all little things like window cranks and door hinge repair kits and all that stuff. One of the things they should have is a pack with maybe 5 or 6 different springs in it for about $5. You basically have to find one that will work, and you use a pliers to bend the ends of it how you need them to be. If I remember correctly, there was already a hole on the throttle body linkage to hook it through, and then I think I just had to drill a hole in the throttle cable bracket and hook the other end into there so that it pulls the throttle closed.

Also what Cobra Intake are you trying to swap? 96-00 or 03-04?

im fairly certain hes talking about the intake that will actually FIT on his heads, which excludes the 03-04..

I have seen the upper and lower intakes for sale and am wondering for the gen1s, you do need both right? I know I sound dumb for askin this but thats cause I am.
I dont wanna buy more than I need or buy the wrong part or ony half the items.

Ive searched and havent found a list of all parts needed to comlete this swap, anyone want to post a link or make the list now?

Too late, hes gonna Ninja you when you least expect it with his Judi Chop!

Great, Im screwed. I better find me a jump rope. Its the only defense against a Judi chop.

I know, I should just focus on the exhaust and the tighening up the trans first. I got so many things I wanna do to this car I cant focus on just one. Its sucks being broke:)

Members online

No members online now.
Back