Cobra IAC Tube Ideas

OU812IC

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I did the cobra intake conversion and looking for some ideas for the IAC tube...

I am putting in a Paxton and have to make the tubing from the SC to the TB anyway. So I have the chance to use anything we want for a fitting.

I could use a piece of 3/4 heater hose... Trying to avoid this. Open to molded hose that would look good and still function. Ifound some but the wall is kinda thin. I am thinking that over time I will have a problem with it sucking closed at times.

Has anyone tried pulling the tube out of the manifold and taping it to put in a AN fitting? I could then weld a fitting in the tube and us AN fittings and hose to connect. A bit expensive but not too bad.

Thanks guys..

I've seen AN hose/fittings used, so it can be done.

Mine isn't special but it works. It's a hybrid of a 5/8" heater hose with a 90 degree pre-formed end joined to a 3/4" 180 degree pre-formed heater hose using a brass 5/8" to 3/4" hose barb.

IMG_7755.jpg

I covered the hose with a black hose sleeve solely for looks but the sleeve tends to crinkle somewhat in the bends.

IMG_7755.jpg

I might not be thinking stright right now but what about a small air/breather filter right off the iac?

Pretty sure the air has to be metered. Maybe it does not matter in this application though?

Driller... NICE PICTURE!! Thanks a lot for the help! I take it you havent had a problem with the hose collapsing over time. I was a bit concerened about that. The molded heater hoses I have looked at seem to have a slimmer and thinner sidewall than the stuff I see cut from the bulk roll. I like your intake, is that black wrinkle paint or powdercoat? Did you do the same to the valve covers? Kinda hard to tell in the picture.

As fas as the filter on the end of the IAC, that would be creating a vaccum leak and create AFR and idle issues to say the least.

I dont want to over complicate things for sure. I do already own a few AN fittings that I could use to make the connection, for a few dollars more. Seems to be a theme with any of these projects... I would have to buy hose and a fitting for the intake. I think i am going to take the advise to run the hose behind the intake, it is an eyesore. Additionally I have the coolant crossover hoses in the same area and may interfere. I will have to look at it again and evaluate from there.

Love it, looks great. What heads do you have on it?

Driller... NICE PICTURE!! Thanks a lot for the help! I take it you havent had a problem with the hose collapsing over time. I was a bit concerened about that. The molded heater hoses I have looked at seem to have a slimmer and thinner sidewall than the stuff I see cut from the bulk roll. I like your intake, is that black wrinkle paint or powdercoat? Did you do the same to the valve covers? Kinda hard to tell in the picture.

Stock heads, powder coated intake and wrinkle finish valve covers. Several details did not pan out as good as I would have liked but it was difficult finding all the hose and fittings to fit for function, let alone for looks. I may change a few things over time.

The hose wasn't that thin to worry about collapsing.

I was hoping to do the cobra intake wasnt sure if I needed to switch to the C heads or not. Was there alot of moding needed to get them to fit?

I was hoping to do the cobra intake wasnt sure if I needed to switch to the C heads or not. Was there alot of moding needed to get them to fit?

Depends if you keep your EGR or not. Then there is the wire harness extension, and hood clearance if you have a gen one. Their is a few great build threads out there if your wanting a better understanding of what's involved.

Mine is a gen 2 and it seems to be hitting on the hood insulation. I haven't trimmed it yet. I figured it is the easiest thing to do and will do it last...

Members online

No members online now.
Back