Cobra calipers

I don't like hosted pics
Cause when I go to look at 2-3 year old posts for a reference on something half the time the image has expired.

I don't like hosted pics
Cause when I go to look at 2-3 year old posts for a reference on something half the time the image has expired.

I've been posting photos on photobucket for 4 years now, and haven't had that problem. Just remember not to delete, rename, or move your photos because all your references won't work anymore.

There's no reason to delete a photo from photobucket, it'll hold as many as you want to put on there

Couldn't find any good pics, so here's some mediocre ones...

IMG_0712.jpg

IMG_0815.jpg

IMG_0826.jpg

That's a bad bich

I'm not talking about deleting photos just that I'm thinking of future owners of marks. if I post something on photobucket now and cancel the account 3 years from now then everything I posted will disappear and people using the search function will get dead pictures.

Man, $650 for these calipers Lux? I'd have taken mine off and sold them to you for that much! I did it a much simpler way, I called CarQuest and ordered 2003 Cobra calipers. I think it was like $225 for the pair. They were gray, I painted them black. They look old, cause they are, and I drive this puppy daily and she has to live outside. I did this conversion about 3 years ago now i guess it was. I still haven't gotten around to getting the CD/slotted rotors.

cobracaliper.gif

Man, $650 for these calipers Lux? I'd have taken mine off and sold them to you for that much! I did it a much simpler way, I called CarQuest and ordered 2003 Cobra calipers. I think it was like $225 for the pair. They were gray, I painted them black. They look old, cause they are, and I drive this puppy daily and she has to live outside. I did this conversion about 3 years ago now i guess it was. I still haven't gotten around to getting the CD/slotted rotors.

Haha.. your right, I definitely made a typo on that. I bought the 10th anniversary calipers for $560, not $650.
I do not want your used calipers :p Looks like the cobra is rubbed off or scraped off on the one..and yes, you have a few options when doing front brakes.

I went all new with everything in the hubswap so used was out of the question.

You can buy dual piston pbr calipers for around 250-300 new, including the core charges and brackets. Add more for shipping if ordering online, or tax if bought local.

A good set of front pads run $80-100 for those calipers. Which puts you at around $350-400 or so for a brand new pair, with brackets, and pads. If spending that much, you should paint/powdercoat them. So add whatever $ for paint, time, and powdercoating.

Then you have the bullitts that are painted with the horses :rolleyes: on them and use a different brake line fitting (which you need to fittings or have new lines made up) these calipers run $350-400 new plus shipping and pads plus buying the adapters $$

I think sometimes you can find the brand new gray raised cobra calipers for around $400 + shipping but they still need paint/powdercoat. I would probably clear those calipers..sex.

The 2003 10th anniversary ford racing Red Rasied Cobra ones are obsolete but pop up on ebay from time to time, When I found them they were around $525 IIRC + shipping, brackets and pads included and the units are powdercoated red, not painted.

Next step up from there you get into bigger front brake kits that usually run $1000 - $3000 new.

When purchasing everything new, I was faced with $350 on calipers that needed to be painted or broken down and powdercoated, $400 calipers that needed adapter fittings and had horses on them or gray ones that werent the color I wanted and need to be painted or $525 for the ones I wanted ready to go + shipping...or $1200 + for bigger brakes that @ the time I couldnt justify spending on something I still drive everyday.

So I paid around $150 bucks more to have them powdercoated in Red with the raised cobra letters and to me that was worth it as it would have cost more to take it to my powdercoater and have it done professionally. :)

Its funny because the next time I do my brakes I'm going larger in the fronts. The dual piston cobras, steel braided brake lines, and 13" cobra rotors are a HUGE difference then stock but still not the stopping power I feel the car needs. I have been daily driving it again but when the car comes back off the road and goes under the knife, one day it will get larger 4 or 6 piston brakes...after running the cobras, i feel like the difference in price would be worth every penny for the stopping power of the larger brembo, baer, wildwood, etc brakes....but hey you live and you learn ;)

Ok I know I'm gonna get :q:q:q:q for not searching but I'm going out right now, just wondering I just bought new cross drilled and slotted rotors and would like to know if I can use the cobra calipers with the stock rotors till they need replacement and what year calipers I would look for, thanks

Ok I know I'm gonna get :q:q:q:q for not searching but I'm going out right now, just wondering I just bought new cross drilled and slotted rotors and would like to know if I can use the cobra calipers with the stock rotors till they need replacement and what year calipers I would look for, thanks

no

Depends. Either way looks good. Search dmaups pic for all red calp and brackets or k98tm for red calp and black brackets.

Hey All,

just wanted to ask the people who have done this already: I've been reading a bit about brake upgrades for our cars. For the longest time I was under the impression that the cheap and easy upgrade was to switch to mustang hubs and use cobra brakes.

reading this handy article that I came across: http://www.tccoa.com/articles/mn12how-to/brake_upgrade/brake_upgrade.htm

made me think that the only reason for the hub-swap was to have the correct bolt pattern for the rotors. Is this true? I would much prefer to stay with the mark bolt pattern, as I have recently purchased a set of speedstar wheels...

So I guess what I'm asking is whether the caliper mounting bracket from the cobra/mustang brakes bolts directly to our steering knuckle.

Many thanks,

Eric

Members online

Back