Clunking Noise

clintjw95

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I've got a 95 Mark with 70,000 on the clock and it seems like I might be in need of some front end repair. Everytime I drive over a small bump I hear a clunking noise coming from the front end. Has anyone experienced this problem? The noise is driving me nuts so if anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated.

My Mark also seems like it's not getting enough fuel or something. When I start the car and put it into drive and give it a little gas it hesitates like it's got bad gas or something. I changed the spark plugs and spark plug wires about 6 months ago so I know thats not it. I'm guessing it's a fuel pump or something. What do you guys think?

The clunk could be anything up front, from strut rod bushings to ball joints. All you can do is inspect. First raise the front end up and them try to move the wheels left and right and up and down. You want to look for any play. After that the wheels come out for a visual inspection of the suspension parts.

The hesitation sounds like the IAC. Very common. Does it do so more so when its cold or all the time?

The hesitation sounds like the IAC. Very common. Does it do so more so when its cold or all the time?

The hesitation started a few weeks ago. It's been about 30-50 degrees here in Indiana.

On my car.. with the same problem.... it only happens when its cold.. once its warmed up.. it runs beautifully..

The hesitation started a few weeks ago. It's been about 30-50 degrees here in Indiana.

The car, not the weather! :) lol

If the car does it when the car is cold but goes away once the car is warmed up, then there is a great chance the IAC is going bad.

How much can a person get a IAC for? Just asking.. not trying to hijack or anything here.. just wandering how much one of these go for.

If you are going to replace the IAC only go with a motocraft one, everything else is junk. I got mine for $69.95 plus shipping.

You also might want to replace your TPS (throttle position sensor) which is located on the back of the throttle body. My car had the same hesitation problem and had a very low idle, even when warmed up.

I would have to stay with it after starting it cold for about 3 to 5 minutes or it would act like it wanted to go dead and sometimes it would but after the TPS replacement, the idle came up where it should be and I can now start it after it sets all night without touching the gas pedal and no more hesitation when in drive and barely pushing the gas.

Went from a 400 to 500 rpm idle up to a good 700 rpm idle. $30.00 for the TPS and $7.99 for a new TB gasket. While the TB is off, it would be a good time to tackle the IAC and be done with it. You'll see a big difference just doing the TPS alone.

Had a similar noise with my 98....clunking turning corners on bumpy road. Turns out hood bumpers were adjusted too low and the hood was moving up and down. Strange but true!

Had a similar noise with my 98....clunking turning corners on bumpy road. Turns out hood bumpers were adjusted too low and the hood was moving up and down. Strange but true!

oddly enough i had the same prob, mine was only at idle sometimes but it drove me nuts, i adjusted the stops up and the latch down and viola

Members online

No members online now.
Back