Close Call

Aquabrit

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Heh... 20 mins ago, was out walking dog off leash around a lake at my apt. complex (like i have done for the past year) and we came within 2 feet of a full size alligator!!!

The dog ran past it, oblivious, and i ran after the dog to get his leash back on. The gator spun around and jumped back into the lake. I told the apt. complex people (and everyone else near by) who said it 'moved in' today!!!

It's still there now - sat back on the side of the lake - i would take a pic, but i don't want to get too close to it again. My dog got lucky... no more off leash walks for the remainder of our time here, that's for sure!

LOL your pooch was almost gator food.

Can't you call somebody and they come and get the gator ?
I know my mom rented a house by New Port Richey and they had to have a gator removed.

Well, the apt. management know about it - so i suppose it's their call. I'd imagine they'll call the pest controllers if it ventures too close to the apartments themselves. Nobody seems to be that bothered by it. Would be nice if they put up a sign or something though... I just got done telling as many people as i could find - some guy was about to fish along there! Lol.

Good job the gator wasn't hungry - my 28 lb 'fur ball' would have been toast. Not something i'd want to tell the wife when she gets home from work! Lol.

I'd be worried at night that it may sneak out and eat you while you are sleeping... LOL..

I guess you can't call that guy from Animal Planet.. LOL... he should have stuck with Gators...

Yeah, that accident with Steve Irwin was a bizarre tragedy... Apparently, some people in Oz were so enraged by that accident, that they went on a stingray killing spree!

So am I to expect you wearing a new pair of endangered species boots when I see you in July?

LOL.

Could have been worse, ya could have stepped on the damn things, there not exactly easy to spot, they sit so still, and blend well. Incidents happen all the time with gators down there.

True, Conti. I couldn't see it until i was literally on it. Now I'm paranoid about going near any lakes - especially after dark. Some warning signs around here would be nice, but that's obviously asking too much of the incompetent complex management. Be glad to leave Florida at the end of the month.

I've seen loads at the NASA and at Billy Swamps. First time i've seen one so close to where i live though. It's annoying because there is no where to walk around here without going close to one of the several joined lakes. Guess i'll stick to day time leashed walks, as far from the banks as possible.

If a gator killed my dog I'd go on a massive murder spree of all things gator.

If a gator killed my dog I'd go on a massive murder spree of all things gator.

Ah... see... I'm a little different in that respect. I have no problem with gators - it is the property management that i would be after. (their indifference, failure to put up signs etc.) Just would have been nice to know. Hadn't seen a gator here before - haven't seen one since either. Dog stays on leash now, regardless.

Members online

No members online now.
Back