Clicking/Ticking noise under hard/full acceleration. 05LSV8 50k

---- EDIT: I myself got rid of a slight ticking (not marbles) by replacing RP oil with Mobile1, then further switched it out to 0W20 M1.

Yet another engine diagnosed with a Royal Purple oil related problem. Glad you caught it before the RP succeeded in killing the engine.

To the OP, since the car sat up for a year or more I'd suggest that you pour a quart of Marvel Mystery oil into the oil, drive it for about 50 miles or so without getting into it, then change it for Mobil 1 0W20. The Marvel will clean out the lifters in case there's any residual gunk in them. No guarantees, but this is a very cheap possible solution that may help solve the problem.

You were actually one of the few that mentioned this and had me concerned enough to swap it out.
Thank you for that Telco, very good advice!

MOBIL(-E) 1 for life !!!

... The Marvel will clean out the lifters in case there's any residual gunk in them. No guarantees, but this is a very cheap possible solution that may help solve the problem.

I wonder if the use of a wrong oil filter may not be a contributor, I had read some material on the CRAP FRAM filters using cardboard as the filtering element and something else with respect to a missing one way valve or something to that effect.

Usually a Crap Fram (play it in your head to the old Adam West Bat Man theme song; yes, you just thought it, you can't unthink it) filter will allow drainback when off, and will cause clatter on startup. It won't cause any problems once the oil is moving.

I'm still thinking pinging or cat, more to cat now.

this is what im thinking, saying it sounds like a jar full of marbles does sound like pinging, but if that's not what it really sounds like. then the cats make a lot of sense as bad coils does lead to damaged cats, and a damaged cat with a piece of catalyst breaks off, that's what it would sound like. I would remove the cats and see if there is anything rattling around inside. if it is pinging, stop doing what ever makes it do it.

I'm having a similar issue, I'm not sure if I'd like to ride on the back of the phrase marbles and such, but I do have a noticeable ticking/rattling coming from the engine bay when at WOT or going up a hill and a few other situations. I was thinking of taking it in to the shop to have the secondary cam tensioner checked as I've seen referenced on many articles but not really sure I should just start with that as I'm sure it's expensive labor just to have them look at it. I also had this after the oil was changed and still have the noise after all new coils/plugs. Any thoughts?

I'm having a similar issue, I'm not sure if I'd like to ride on the back of the phrase marbles and such, but I do have a noticeable ticking/rattling coming from the engine bay when at WOT or going up a hill and a few other situations. I was thinking of taking it in to the shop to have the secondary cam tensioner checked as I've seen referenced on many articles but not really sure I should just start with that as I'm sure it's expensive labor just to have them look at it. I also had this after the oil was changed and still have the noise after all new coils/plugs. Any thoughts?
You have the V6 correct?
V6's are not known to have any timing chain/tensioner problems.

You have the V6 correct?
V6's are not known to have any timing chain/tensioner problems.

Ah ok, yes I do. Thanks Joe. Do you know of anything else that might cause this for my model? I was just thinking it was something simple as cosmetics since one of the front cowls does not have anything anchoring it down.

Ah ok, yes I do. Thanks Joe. Do you know of anything else that might cause this for my model? I was just thinking it was something simple as cosmetics since one of the front cowls does not have anything anchoring it down.

I hate to revive a dead thread, but my v6 Gen2 has been (what I assume to be) pinging upon acceleration up hills or when I have passengers. It's insane, but I swear it's worse when there is even one extra person in the car.

What are all the possible causes of engine ping on the v6? Mechanics around here are completely useless, I've wasted so much money on them it's insane. I'm going to try to get a recording of it.

Well,are you keeping 93 or at least 91 octane in there? If you are, then it could be your Coil-on-plugs and spark plugs failing. There's a ton of info here on COPs.Do a search. don-ohio :)^)

Last night my 2005 LS8 started making that baby rattle noise in the upper Rpm range at around 4K and higher... Almost like running 87 octane in a high performance car requiring 91 octane or higher.
So today I drive it around and here are the symptoms... 94k miles and its tuned with a performance tune... Not a crazy tune, just a bit more power and extended shift points... Car has been running great, new coil packs and plugs 2k miles ago...no check engine light.

Ok...
Start up cold - sounds good and runs nice and smooth at idle.
Mild throttle while driving - runs smooth and quiet.
Mid to 3/4 throttle a little knocking noise above 3k rpm.
From a dead stop and flooring it... Noise briefly came and went on initial acceleration comes back slightly as it passes 4K rpm. Slight knocking noise at shift points during hard acceleration.
At 3rd gear, 4th and 5th gear knocking/ rattle noise is pretty steady above 4K rpm
No loss of power, no hesitation nor stumbling of the engine...

So today, I put a quart of marvel mystery oil in the block and will drive it around real nice like for a while then change the oil.. I use Mobil 1 zero w20 with a wix filter.

Got an appointment with the muffler shop on Tuesday to check the cats cuzz it does have a sound as to be likened to a loose washer rattling against metal...

Does this sound like anything familiar to anyone here...
Much appreciated for any advise as I read these forums quite often and am grateful for all that is shared.

Bad tank of gas? I didn't see anything about 93 octane. Can you get it in your area? Some performance tuning raises the octane requirements. If you can't get 93, add some octane increaser and try it again.
I wouldn't run 0-20 oil,but that's your choice. don-ohio :)^)

Bad tank of gas? I didn't see anything about 93 octane. Can you get it in your area? Some performance tuning raises the octane requirements. If you can't get 93, add some octane increaser and try it again.
I wouldn't run 0-20 oil,but that's your choice. don-ohio :)^)

Oh yes I don't run anything but 93 in it... The wife knows this too and only puts the good stuff in... Maybe bad gas... If it is after she's empty, a fill up that fixes the problem would be music to my wallet.

My LSes have always pinged under hard acceleration no matter what gas I used. Also, with or without the aftermarket intake. It is something that always bothered me. Thankfully my BMW hasn't given even a hint of a ping.

I hope it's that simple for you.Let us know your outcome,okay? don-ohio :)^)

I did the algebra and rolled the dice and she's as better than gooder:)

My daughter and her hubby have been down for vacation for a week now and they have been driving my LS. I drove my car a couple of days ago and noticed the tank was almost empty... I wasn't gonna fill her up ( looking back now I should have ) So when I was told it was making a noise, she had a half a tank when I took her for a test drive. But it did not dawn on me that my son in law may have put 87 in her since I reminded him twice already to put only super/ premium gas in her.
That's why I was quite concerned.

After thinking about it, I went and picked some good octane booster and when I came home, I putted her up to the fill'n station, put the octane booster in and top'd the tank off with 93. Took her out on the interstate for about 20 miles and when I got back to the city streets, low and behold... No more baby rattles under load... Well just a little here and there when I floored her... But she had always done that.

Long story short,
Don't let yer kids drive your car :p
Even if they are in their mid to late 20's.

Now that I know I don't need to rebuild my motor...
I need sport shocks, anyone know where I can get a set at a reasonable price?

dang, got got by the inlaw... lol

I would have sent his ass out to the drive way with a hose and told him to suck that cheap sh!t out!

dang, got got by the inlaw... Lol

i would have sent his ass out to the drive way with a hose and told him to suck that cheap sh!t out!

LMAO

Prolly should have made him change the oil... But then again, there's only 2 people in the world I trust working on my cars... And one of them is me.

On a bright note... Still taking the LS down to the muffler shop and since my cats are good, going to explore getting some new muffs, removing the resonators and putting on some bigger tips :D

Members online

No members online now.
Back