clear front turns???

With enough time money and work you can do most anything! :) Although this should be a pretty easy one.

But to remain legal, you would need to change the bulb, wiring, & socket out to a dual element bulb, or a two bulb assembly so one would be solid for side markers and then flash brighter for the turn signal. The side markers have to be on at all times after dark to be legal.

haha that's so true

Do you know of an LS specific write-up on this by any chance? The confusion b/w side markers and clear corners combined with this sub-par search engine is f$%#$ing killing me. Long-shot request I'm sure, just thought I'd ask

I haven't seen anything regarding turning the side markers into turn signals. There are good instructions for installing the clear side marker lens from Ken.

Can I screw with the wiring to make them turn signals?

You can splice them in with the clips that use the metal blade to split the wire and add the contact. I forget what they are called exactly, Im sure someone knows.

Scotchloks from 3M are the connectors you're talking about... But I'm not sure how splicing them in would turn them into turn signals at night. The bulb would be burning all the time already.

I guess in the daytime it would work like that....

mediawebserver.jpg

okay cool. I'm planning to install clear side marker lenses soon (even though my corners are still amber lol) and thought while I was messing around in there I might give this a try, looks like I'll put it on hold for now

It's not hard to do. The idea, on paper at least, seems like it wouldn't work. But it does, I did it on my cadillac, and my truck, and several of my previous cars. You just cut the ground wire on the marker light (you might have to add some wire to make this reach) and clip it into the turn signal power wire for the parking lamp.
I dont know the color of the correct wires because I dont have any diagrams for these cars yet. But you can figure it out fairly easy.
The ground for the side marker light is almost always solid black. If its not and you dont know which one it is pul the bulb out and use a multimeter on each side of the connector (make sure the lights are NOT on when you do this) and test for continuity/resistance between the connector and the frame or some other metal surface, of the car.
To find the turn signal wire on the parking lamp, turn the parking lights OFF and the hazzard flashers ON. Pull the bulb out of the socket and test each connector inside it for 12V cycling on off on off. One should show 0V constant, the other should switch back and forth. You can use a test light for this as well as a multimeter. You should be able to figure out which wire goes to which connector by popping out the hold down clip on the back of the socket. Just don't go yankin the wires out.

Edit:
Just for clarification, here's a very crudely draw sketch of what the finished product should look like.
turnsignalcopy.gif

Keep in mind this will make the lights alternate flashing when the parking lamps are on. But they will flash together when the park lamps are off.

Members online

No members online now.
Back