Cleaning Valves

WackyWRZ

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Just a few weeks ago I had my intake off so I could gasket match the upper and lowers, and noticed the intake valves looked horrible. I cleaned em up a little, but ran out of time and had to leave 'em lookin dirty. Question is, can I clean them with the intake on the car, IE a tank additive or something. I have heard many people ranting and raving over a product called BG44K, but at $17 a can I don't know if it'd be much better than an off the shelf. I have ran 3-4 cans of techron through before this and they're still dirty. Also my freind told me about water injection through the intake, and that'll clean out the cylinders and all. He compared it to a car with a blown head gasket and the leaky cylinder has all the carbon cleaned from it.

I t can be used that way it cleans differently if its used in the tank vs a vacume line or sucked thru pcv tube. The vac line/pcv way is faster and more effective. I have used it several times and it works great.

WackyWRZ said:
Yeah, I've seen that on shelves. Just dump it in the tank?

:I

Best to use 1/3 pint in direct vacumn feed to the intake according to the instructions and put remaining 2/3 into the fuel tank. It may take a couple applications or more on really scrungy engines.

The BG products are very good also.

Last edited:
driller said:
:I

The BG products are very good also.

The guys at Cadforums say that Seafoam in the tank is like water compared to the BG44K. Is it really that dramatic, or are they exaturating? The price diff would seem to appear a big difference.

I have not used BG44K, so i could not compare it to SeaFoam.

I have had little success with fuel tank additives other than I have seen Techron work to help 'clean' an engine over several tankfuls.

I have not seen BG products around here on the shelf but I would like to find a place for their products and services.

Well you have 2 ways to look at it maybe they are biased or maybe it is stronger. But think of this is it still safe for the car? Paint remover is stronger than soap to clean your skin but it also will clean your skin off. I use the 6oz in the pcv tube removing the pcv valve so you get the stuff sucked in. I let it stall the car off like the instructions used to say now they just say turn car off. Then wait 5 minuts and turn car on the first time you do this the car will fog for a while. But if you do it 3-5k later it won't fog nearly as much as I think it gets caught onto the crap in the engine and cats and takes longer to clean out on a dirty engine/car. The stuff works great espically on a engine which has neaver had a intake/t-body cleaning and even more so on a car with 45k+.

what do you guys think of the lucas fuel additive worth anything? I use lucas in my engine and tranny.......and love it. but dont know anything about this stuff.

Honestly, I don't really care for the stuff. I don't like the fact that is compatible with diesel and regular gasoline. Also acording to their site the fuel additive is: "- a blend of super slick oils and additives with a high detergent action that allows the engine to operate at maximum efficiency." I don't know really what the point of adding oils to the fuel is. Its not a 2 cycle weedeater, and if it sounds like one you need to be slapped. :Bang
Here is the link to the info. http://www.lucasoil.com/Product_Details.cfm?Product_ID=9

On another note, I bit the bullet and bought a can of BG44K, and I guess they weren't BSing about that stuff. It has one HELL of a strong smell to it. I dumped it in with about 3 gals to empty on the car and ran it down till it said 1 gal to empty and refueled. I already notice that I have lost the stuble on acceleration I used to have, and that my exhaust has noticably less stink. My MPG also went up by 0.8MPG and with these gas prices thats alot. I had been using Techron every 1500 miles, but it didn't seem to help, so I would say the 44K really works.

The other day I put in an 11oz can of BG 44k into my
The almost empty tank was topped off (15 gal added). That
day I went on a trip totalling 180mi. I averaged 3k
rpm, for about 3 hours. About 1.5 hours into the trip i "thought" i
noticed an increase in power. In around town driving today, (now at
200mi since added) and i think i can really feel a difference. It is
definatlety idling smoother and although i haven;t timed it, i swear
my 0-30 time is better. The car has a had a tune up (except timing)
in the past month, including all filters, plugs, etc. The can of 44k
was $20 at my caddy dealer. Apparantley they put the stuff in
when cars are brought in for regular tune-ups.
I'll keep the list posted if performace decreases in subsequent tanks
of gas.

But it seems to work to me...

CaddyMaster said:
The can of 44k was $20 at my caddy dealer. Apparantley they put the stuff in when cars are brought in for regular tune-ups. I'll keep the list posted if performace decreases in subsequent tanks
of gas.

Yep, the Ford dealer's cleaner is the same, but I believe the relabel the can. And I know a few of the import dealers (Acura, Honda, etc...) use it. That stuff is really hard to find outside of a dealer, but I am sold on the stuff.

driller said:
I have not used BG44K, so i could not compare it to SeaFoam.

I have had little success with fuel tank additives other than I have seen Techron work to help 'clean' an engine over several tankfuls.

I have not seen BG products around here on the shelf but I would like to find a place for their products and services.

John
B&G Products was bought by WINNS and can be had at your local Firestone Dealer with Firestones name on ....The oil treatment is the old BG , in the tiny Yellow and black can ...The best in the world , I put in every race engine I built...

WackyWRZ said:
Just a few weeks ago I had my intake off so I could gasket match the upper and lowers, and noticed the intake valves looked horrible. I cleaned em up a little, but ran out of time and had to leave 'em lookin dirty. Question is, can I clean them with the intake on the car, IE a tank additive or something. I have heard many people ranting and raving over a product called BG44K, but at $17 a can I don't know if it'd be much better than an off the shelf. I have ran 3-4 cans of techron through before this and they're still dirty. Also my freind told me about water injection through the intake, and that'll clean out the cylinders and all. He compared it to a car with a blown head gasket and the leaky cylinder has all the carbon cleaned from it.
Wacky,
A few months ago I tried BG44k for the first time. Its the only additive I have ever used that I could tell made a difference. Smoother idle and more low end grunt. Ford Quality Repair shop near me sells it for $20 a can. They use it when they do tune-ups but recommend a can every six months. Think i'll continue to use it and forget the techron I have in my garage. Lincolnlov

Members online

No members online now.
Back