Chrome Bumper Trim

TheArchaic1

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Does the chrome trim on the front and rear bumpers come off? I want to color match it, and I know the best way to do this is to take it off and paint it. Plus, does the rear plate surround come off as well. I am not a fan of chrome, and I think that those pieces would look better matched to the car.

They come off I think. IMO if you are not willing to do a swap ( the non sport for the sport bumper ) maybe find a shop that can lay down a coat or two of filler to blend the trim away into the bumper.

And yes the rear surround comes off. Just remove the beauty cover on the trunk lid and its pretty self explanatory.

Thanks for the tip. I have done body work before, so it would just be a matter of pulling my other car out of the garage to do the work.

I had the chrome strip from my rear bumper color matched when I swapped front bumpers. The chrome strips do come out though.

Yeah you have to take the bumper off. There are metal "U" shaped brackets on the back side of the bumper that squeeze over tabs sticking out of the chrome strip. Kind of a pain in the ass, but not too bad if you are used to working on your own cars.

I had the chrome strip from my rear bumper color matched when I swapped front bumpers. The chrome strips do come out though.

Any issues painting over the chrome? I went to a shop and asked and the paint guy said it may or may not last for more than a year.

He said he would sand down the chrome piece then repaint. Still deciding whether this is worth it and will last?

If prepped right it would last.

IMO still not as clean as going with the swap or smoothing over it and blending it in.

Any issues painting over the chrome? I went to a shop and asked and the paint guy said it may or may not last for more than a year.

He said he would sand down the chrome piece then repaint. Still deciding whether this is worth it and will last?

It's all about the prep. The chrome was sanded down, and plastic promoter was used on it. I've had it done for 2 years now, and it still looks just as good as the day it was painted.

If prepped right it would last.

IMO still not as clean as going with the swap or smoothing over it and blending it in.

It's alot cheaper to just paint the chrome strip & there is hardly a difference between the sport bumper.

If you call a huge chrome strip across the bumper hardly a difference,... I guess your correct. When paintd over you still see that strip, its just painted.

How ever its fairly cheap to just add some fill and sand paper to the supply list;) Plus if not done properly how much will it cost you to have it resprayed till someone does it correctly?

Not a lot of painters like to paint over chrome. Even the best ones know there is a higher chance of it not working out right.

here is mine

ininiinin.jpg

:lol:

Not to start another fight with you slick but it looks way different even color matched than a sport. Lets also not forget the shot is taken at night;)

I can definitely see the trim piece. Dude the sport doesn't have anything at all. Its totally void of that trim piece and smooth. If it were identical it would have that trim piece and it would be color matched from the factory. The sport bumpers are beveled and thats it. The non sport are beveled and have that trim.

Although, LS_Monk has always deserved credit for his work on the conversions. Both the front end and the matched trim piece.

:lol:

Not to start another fight with you slick but it looks way different even color matched than a sport. Lets also not forget the shot is taken at night;)

I can definitely see the trim piece. Dude the sport doesn't have anything at all. Its totally void of that trim piece and smooth. If it were identical it would have that trim piece and it would be color matched from the factory. The sport bumpers are beveled and thats it. The non sport are beveled and have that trim.

Calm down J, that's why I asked to see a picture of it during the daytime and of coarse you can see the trim piece is there and that is because it is there. I was just merely pointing out how if you like that look than it is a hell of a lot cheaper to get the chrome trim sprayed, about $200 for both of them, than to sway out for sport bumpers, which would cost about $800-$1000 sprayed. I mean it is just like how people paint match the front grill and rear surround.

Looks good MONK!!!

i color matched everything and it dont look bad at all but you do have to take off the bumpers to get the chrome strips off

Werner- I was refering to a sport bumper with the trim color matched and the sport bumper. Yes there is still a difference between the sport and non sport with painted chrome. If you look at LS_MONK's pic there's a gap all around the trim, but it still looks like alot better painted. The average person is not going to know it was a plastic chrome piece first. Mine was painted correctly, and I won't have to get it resprayed. I know a very good painter and trust him with anything. Also as Slick said it's a hell of alot cheaper to have the trim painted over buying a new bumper.

Members online

No members online now.
Back