Child Locks

LennDawg

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
one of my good friends told me that my car has a child lock that could be turned off so that my back windows could roll down all the way instead of about 3/4 of the way as it does now... is this true? and where is this lock located so that it could be turned off? i have a 2000 Lincoln LS, LET ME KNOW!!

From my experience the child lock does not affect the window. Of course, the LS maybe a different story. Typically a rear door child lock prevents the door from opening from the inside door handle. But if the LS does have that feature, I am certainly impressed!

Sifrino3 said:
Child locks on newer cars does keep the windo w from going down. At least thats what I seen on this lot!

and how would i be able to shut it off so i can roll the windows down all the way?

Ok, I was unclear in the other post. Rear windows are restricted from rolling all the way down for the safety of children. However, the "child lock" feature that you can deactivate, that I am aware of, is the ability to open the door from the inside of the vehicle. Does that make sense?

JoshMcMadMac said:
Ok, I was unclear in the other post. Rear windows are restricted from rolling all the way down for the safety of children. However, the "child lock" feature that you can deactivate, that I am aware of, is the ability to open the door from the inside of the vehicle. Does that make sense?
right - the 'child lock' feature prevents the rear doors from opening from the inside - it is not linked to the rear windows. Many cars hav not been able to roll down the rear window all the way for quite a number of years. alot of it has to do with the shape of the rear door going around the rear wheel well not leaving enough room to allow the glass to go all the way down.

Quik LS said:
alot of it has to do with the shape of the rear door going around the rear wheel well not leaving enough room to allow the glass to go all the way down.
I never even thought of that. I know my mother's 93 oldsmobile has windows in the rear that only go down about half way. I couldn't tell you for sure when it all started, or how tough it would be to "fix" it.

The rear windows don't roll all the war down because they can't, physically, roll down all the way. Look at the way the door curves at the bottom and envision where the window will go (into the door) when it's down. The window can only retract so far before it hits the cruve of the door.

The child safety lock disables the inside door handle of the rear seats. All this is in the owners manual, BTW.

LennDawg said:
....... and where is this lock located so that it could be turned off?

Open the rear door, and on the end of the door is a small knob, turn this to enable / disable the child locks.

Correct, look at the striker plate on the door itself, there should be a sticker that says "child Safety Lock" along with schematic of how to enable/disable it.. There should be a little "switch" as well that is right next to or close to the decal

Members online

No members online now.
Back