Check Transmission - E

Here are the pictures. Obviously I have no idea what I’m looking at for the most part lol not sure what SSB, and the rest mean. I assume referring to each solenoid and their state.

View attachment 828574184

View attachment 828574185

View attachment 828574186

View attachment 828574187
That's above my pay grade....I think it's safe to say you need a professional Transmission Tech to help you with this info...remember I'm just your average joe ...I will try to fix almost anything myself ...but I know when I need to pass the baton also...the transmission is one component that require special training and schooling

That's above my pay grade....I think it's safe to say you need a professional Transmission Tech to help you with this info...remember I'm just your average joe ...I will try to fix almost anything myself ...but I know when I need to pass the baton also...the transmission is one component that require special training and schooling

same. I agree. Valve body is super clean, but that doesn’t mean one of the valves isn’t stuck or something. Same for the solenoid. Oh well. Tomorrow I’m going to get my hands on another valve body and solenoid pack, put em in, throw in new filter and fluid, and see what she does. Unless anyone knows a transmission guy on here to convince me otherwise.

If not, I’ll update after completion :)
(Fingers crossed).

Update -

Replaced valve body, solenoid pack, and reverse servo, new fluid and filter. Just changing these parts took me 9.5 qts of fluid. Starting to think I was low.

shifts great now and drives good... except... while underneath with car running to fill fluid, I noticed the Cat on the driver side was turning blue. While going up hill, (under a load) I can feel a misfire, and hear a rumble coming from exhaust. So I’ll be replacing the cats this weekend.

Update -

Replaced valve body, solenoid pack, and reverse servo, new fluid and filter. Just changing these parts took me 9.5 qts of fluid. Starting to think I was low.

shifts great now and drives good... except... while underneath with car running to fill fluid, I noticed the Cat on the driver side was turning blue. While going up hill, (under a load) I can feel a misfire, and hear a rumble coming from exhaust. So I’ll be replacing the cats this weekend.
That's great to hear Caleb! You might have just dodged a huge bullet if your LS's transmission continues to perform (shift) without any flaws...yes the plugged cats and/or Catalyst converters on the Lincoln LS seem to be problematic for many owners due to ppl not maintaining proper coil over plugs and Spark plugs ...misfires are hell on these Cats... kudos on the keen observation

That's great to hear Caleb! You might have just dodged a huge bullet if your LS's transmission continues to perform (shift) without any flaws...yes the plugged cats and/or Catalyst converters on the Lincoln LS seem to be problematic for many owners due to ppl not maintaining proper coil over plugs and Spark plugs ...misfires are hell on these Cats... kudos on the keen observation

Thanks! Huge bullet. Fingers crossed. And yeah they replaced the coils trying to fix when it wouldn’t start, and they weren’t motorcraft. So I see a $350 coil pack purchase in my future lol.

and if they didn’t do that I’m sure they didn’t use motorcraft plugs either. So those are my next steps after replacing the cats.

Motorcraft COPs (they're not coil packs), and NGK plugs. (Most LSes came with NGK plugs from the factory.)

Motorcraft COPs (they're not coil packs), and NGK plugs. (Most LSes came with NGK plugs from the factory.)

I agree on COP, just a term I throw around loosely.

did not know about NGK. From what I’ve seen they wanted motor craft all the way. Dealt with this on an expedition, 5.4 was pretty picky about that stuff too.

Alright, to make this a little easier, having a lot of symptoms listed in this thread YAY "Check Transmission" With the infamous "E"I had the exact same problem it's actually overdrive that's probably fuk that's wat happens to mines got it rebuild about 2 weeks ago my baby is running like it was new again lol.make sure they change the selenoid pack if u get it rebuild since it gives out about 120k.

struggles to change gears, let off gas, changes fine. Loss of power, mash on gas and revs up high without a lot of power. Struggles to make it up a hill. Progressively gets worse. Seems to clear up and go away after killing engine and letting it cool down. Simply killing car and restarting makes the check transmission error message and the E go away.

Only driven about 50 miles since I got this thing running “it sat for 5 years”. Then today on the way home, I got to the point where I couldn’t drive over 10-15MPH.

haven’t gotten a chance to pull codes yet. Will do so tomorrow and update. Thoughts?

P.S. - I’ve been a Lincoln owner for roughly 2 weeks and I’m starting to become pretty good friends with you guys :)
Alright, to make this a little easier, having a lot of symptoms listed in this thread YAY "Check Transmission" With the infamous "E"

struggles to change gears, let off gas, changes fine. Loss of power, mash on gas and revs up high without a lot of power. Struggles to make it up a hill. Progressively gets worse. Seems to clear up and go away after killing engine and letting it cool down. Simply killing car and restarting makes the check transmission error message and the E go away.

Only driven about 50 miles since I got this thing running “it sat for 5 years”. Then today on the way home, I got to the point where I couldn’t drive over 10-15MPH.

haven’t gotten a chance to pull codes yet. Will do so tomorrow and update. Thoughts?

P.S. - I’ve been a Lincoln owner for roughly 2 weeks and I’m starting to become pretty good friends with you guys :)

PapiLS, you put your message in my quote. Check your replies next time.

you may have had a similar issue. Mine was definitely not over drive. I would guess that’s not what yours truly needed either. But what do I know.

if you read before, I just changed valve body and solenoid pack and that fixed my problem, and helped me uncover another one.

my fluid was super clean and smelled clean, nothing burnt, normal amount of clutch dust and very little sludge built up. This indicates no big internal transmission faults, and bands and clutches should be in good shape. Filter was clean also.

tore apart my friends LS transmission, and you could immediately smell burnt fluid, and the filter was covered in sludge (that’s a broken transmission).

Always check for warning signs first before you just spring for a whole rebuild. It definitely didn’t hurt you, as it will increase life span if you treat her right, but I’m still a believer of “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”.

Just as an update - I replaced exhaust yesterday. Cat was DEFINITELY stopped almost completely. After replacement was running much better, but still had a misfire. Ran some test, narrowed down to cylinder 1 misfire. Replaced the COP and popped in a new plug on this cylinder, and good to go. Got about 150 miles on her since replacing valve body and solenoid pack, and new fluid and filter. and she’s shifting smoothly as ever.

I’ve now returned to my previously scheduled programming in other thread of “help me it’s hot I need AC” lol

thanks for all the help

Members online

Back