Check engine light after coil/plug replacement?

Ghaleon64

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
So I recently replaced all my coils and plugs after a misfire issue started creeping up. Car has been running fine apart from a slight loss in power thanks to the Bosch +4 Platinum plugs I put in. Put in of course AFTER everyone here tells me they're crap in Fords. :p

Today I get a check engine light, no idea why. Car runs the same as it has since the job. Could these plugs be causing a check engine light?

I do not recall seeing a lot of feedback, if any at all, on this forum saying a plug caused a code without the coil being directly associated with the misfire. So, I am going to venture to say if a coil is already dying, yes. Did you use a reputable brand of coils for the replacements? Not that you did not already know this but, have the code read. It should be a good beginning point as to what the root cause of your issue is.

There are enough members on here with bad coil experience that someone may join in on this thread. Joe would also be able to shed a lot of light on what you may have going on.

I do not recall seeing a lot of feedback, if any at all, on this forum saying a plug caused a code without the coil being directly associated with the misfire. ...

Yes, a bad plug can cause a check engine light even with a good coil.

First step, read OBDII codes.
Second step, replace crappy plugs with OEM or equivalent. Make sure gaps are set to 1.0 mm.

I know it can, that is why I did not say no it cannot. But, it has not been the norm on this forum.

a good rule of thumb is to always check the code before you post here... makes things so much easier..

I made the mistake of leaving the evaporator unplugged after doing my coils.

That was embarrassing.

Members online

No members online now.
Back