Check engine Bank 1 sensor

indust82

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
My mark is running fine but the dreaded check engine light came on recently and when i checked the codes it said it the bank one sensor wasn't responding properly. I was told this has to do with getting the proper amount of gas and oil in the engine (but the guy who told me that didn't seem too sure). I'm just wanting to know if this has happened to any other mark drivers and if the fix is costly?

indust82 said:
My mark is running fine but the dreaded check engine light came on recently and when i checked the codes it said it the bank one sensor wasn't responding properly. I was told this has to do with getting the proper amount of gas and oil in the engine (but the guy who told me that didn't seem too sure). I'm just wanting to know if this has happened to any other mark drivers and if the fix is costly?

its the o2 sensors if you cant change them all, might as well(they pricey) and those can be done on your own....their bout 60 a piece unless ray can get them cheaper for you

lincolnboy said:
its the o2 sensors if you cant change them all, might as well(they pricey) and those can be done on your own....their bout 60 a piece unless ray can get them cheaper for you
id check my cats too hows your mileage?

Send this guy a pay pal for 68 bucks along with your address and he'll send you four brand new O2 sensors. 78pinto@sympatico.ca

Dont ask me how he does it but I have bought a few sets from him and they all show up perfect.
If you have a gen 1 you only need 2 and they are 48 bucks for 2 of them.

Your welcome!!!!

unstoppable said:
Send this guy a pay pal for 68 bucks along with your address and he'll send you four brand new O2 sensors. 78pinto@sympatico.ca

Dont ask me how he does it but I have bought a few sets from him and they all show up perfect.
If you have a gen 1 you only need 2 and they are 48 bucks for 2 of them.

Your welcome!!!!

the 93-94 gen 1 need two and the 95-96 gen1 need 4, ill have two hit this guy up also

I figure my mileage is about average for the car.....about 17 in the city and 24-25 on the highway..... average around 19mpg.

Thanks alot unstoppable for the heads up on the sensors, I emailed the link and hopefully he'll get back to me soon...

Does anyone know if there is a tech section somewhere for replacing all of these sensors?

no tech needed it just a simple bolt from the exhuast pipes and a a connetor on the other end, on the drive side you can just cut the o2 wire and use a socket to lossen up the sensor, but one thing make sure you spray the bolt to free them up from the rust and yr of sitting their.. some one has a pic of the o2 on the car to show where their @......look after and before the cats youll see them on the pipes

thanks guys. I paid for them yesterday and they should be on the way today. I talked to a buddy of mine who works on cars and he made the install sound easy enough. I'm really glad to get this done for alot less than expected.

ONEBADMK8 said:
1993-1996 have 2-02 Sensors. 1997-1998 have 4.

Why on my 96 i have 4 then what are the one before and after the cats

That's gotta be a typo, Geno. 1996 was the mandated year the US Gov't instated OBD-II. That means 4 O2's. My 1994 Cougar had 4 O2's and OBD-II, even.

CaptainZilog said:
That's gotta be a typo, Geno. 1996 was the mandated year the US Gov't instated OBD-II. That means 4 O2's. My 1994 Cougar had 4 O2's and OBD-II, even.
Yes my bad.Its fixed now.

ONEBADMK8 said:
Yes my bad.Its fixed now.
geno you got any recent pic, gotta love that mk8 the best looking one ever............dam where is a glass man when you need one :GotPics:

I did get those o2 sensors for a good price and this past weekend tried to install them. You guys made it sound easy enough, so I spent about an hour or so crawling around under the car before i determined I couldn't do it. I found all the sensors easy enough, but there was no way i was gunna be able to replace them w/o a lift or some air tools. Has anyone actually replaced these w/o dropping the exhaust? Cause it seemed impossible. So anyway now I'm facing having to pay someone to drop the exhaust to swap these out.....and if I'm gunna do that i might as well get a new exhaust(seems logical right). I'm not sure if i'm gunna go all lms.....just the xpansion from them, or do it all locally. I'm sure u guys have some opinions on that.

I sure hope you guys are right and it's not the MAF ... sorry I got to this thread a little late.. I've been busy. :V

Or you can just drop the center section.Disconnect it before the passenger side cat and after the driver side and then at the Y .After that its cake with a can of PB blaster and a 7/8ths crows foot and about 12-18 inches of extension.

unstoppable said:
Or you can just drop the center section.Disconnect it before the passenger side cat and after the driver side and then at the Y .After that its cake with a can of PB blaster and a 7/8ths crows foot and about 12-18 inches of extension.

Is this on a '98 Mark VIII? or an earlier one?

It's a 97. I don't think I'm gunna be doin it myself......I've been wanting a new exhaust, and this situation has pushed me closer to getting one. I just need to decide on the details......cue the next thread.......hehe

Members online

No members online now.
Back