Cheap Code Readers

Kstills

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for recommendations/reviews/experiences with OBDII code scanners. I'll be looking to buy one shortly, and would appreciate any feedback you folks might have from using various units.

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/index.htm

Less than $70 shipped-does codes, pending codes, lots of PID's like O2 sensors, MAF, ENGINE TEMP (an actual number, not a vague representations based on a 13+year old analogue gauge). it comes with a great suction cup mount that can be placed up high on the windshield, in the 'tint' so it cannot be seen, and it can be calibrated and programmed to do all kinds of things related to service reminders, accurate gas usage, average mph-I have one in 4 different drivers, and just knowing exactly what the engine temp is in each is worth $70 IMO-plus, if there is a 'pending' code, a warning pops up-and you can read it, or an actual code on the fly. You can set alarms for all kinds of things, like engine temp, IAT, fuel level, miles to empty, gallons to empty...these are a bargain for what they can do.

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/index.htm

Less than $70 shipped-does codes, pending codes, lots of PID's like O2 sensors, MAF, ENGINE TEMP (an actual number, not a vague representations based on a 13+year old analogue gauge). it comes with a great suction cup mount that can be placed up high on the windshield, in the 'tint' so it cannot be seen, and it can be calibrated and programmed to do all kinds of things related to service reminders, accurate gas usage, average mph-I have one in 4 different drivers, and just knowing exactly what the engine temp is in each is worth $70 IMO-plus, if there is a 'pending' code, a warning pops up-and you can read it, or an actual code on the fly. You can set alarms for all kinds of things, like engine temp, IAT, fuel level, miles to empty, gallons to empty...these are a bargain for what they can do.

That looks pretty nice.

Have you tried it out?

I have four of these, one in four different drivers-I used to carry a hand-held scanner in the trunk of my cars, now I have a these hooked up and can get instant feedback and even alarms on any codes, pending codes plus PID's. Less than $70, you really cannot beat it.

if you have a droid based phone the elm327 is great for like $40

+1, I paid about $13 for an ELM327/clone from eBay, and $5 for the full version of the Torque app for Android, and I'm very happy with the setup.

I learn something new and interesting every time I come here.

The ELM327 and Ultra-gauge are both TOO COOL man... thanks for the info. Makes me wish my '94 had OBDII.

And thanks to MediumD for mentioning the Torque app, I've already DL'd the free version to my Droid1 just to play with it... impressive array of gauges.

Now I guess I'll have to step up my search for a good (but cheap) Gen2... anybody got a low mileage black/black '98 LSC w/ upgraded brakes, exhaust, intake, front end, stereo, and new airbags all around for <$2k w/in 50 mi. of Macon GA for sale? :D :D :D

I almost bought one of these until I found out they don't do transmission temp. I need one that does.

Anyone tried the Scan Gauge? That's what I'm considering but they cost twice as much and don't look as goog and this one. I need one I can use in both my Explorer and my Mark.

I have four of these, one in four different drivers-I used to carry a hand-held scanner in the trunk of my cars, now I have a these hooked up and can get instant feedback and even alarms on any codes, pending codes plus PID's. Less than $70, you really cannot beat it.

That's more then I wanted to pay, however it is a really nice setup.

I'll be buying this one :). Thanks for the link.

I am going to order one of these next week, just spent all my "car" cash on new exhaust for my Yukon and a compressor for working on everything.

I almost bought one of these until I found out they don't do transmission temp. I need one that does.

Anyone tried the Scan Gauge? That's what I'm considering but they cost twice as much and don't look as goog and this one. I need one I can use in both my Explorer and my Mark.

Transmission temp isn't a standardized or common OBDII PID AFAIK..

Transmission temp isn't a standardized or common OBDII PID AFAIK..

there is a forum for owners of the Ultragauge and that is a common complaint, but you are correct, it is not a common OBDII PID monitored by most ECU's for some reason-whatever is available is there though, PIDs depend on the vehicle and the protocol-it does 37 or 38 on my mark (96) and you select up to 18 from what is available for your rolling displays
(6 gauges x 3 screens).

I had one that quit working in about a year. :confused:

there is a forum for owners of the Ultragauge and that is a common complaint, but you are correct, it is not a common OBDII PID monitored by most ECU's for some reason-whatever is available is there though, PIDs depend on the vehicle and the protocol-it does 37 or 38 on my mark (96) and you select up to 18 from what is available for your rolling displays
(6 gauges x 3 screens).

If it is an ECU available PID, it can be added to the Torque app if you can figure out the EOBD PID header/address..

Members online

No members online now.
Back