Changing the hood and headlight question

DrewSG

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
:( I got into an accident over the weekend.. First off the headlamps were pretty smashed but the bulbs are intact, can I get the housing anywhere cheaper? or will I have to buy an entire new headlight? Also, I was able to get a used hood, how hard is it to change? I know all of its gonna look messed up, but I just need it to be able to drive down the street without any funny looks. The Car still runs pretty good though, no leaks or anything from the accident.

41353055984616150735.jpg

50616095164318552593.jpg

Holy crap that damage is identical to my wreck.

You can hammer that fender corner back out, but it will take some brute force - it is very strong.

You will need a new headlight, nobody really sells just the shell - but even if they did, it is not like halogen bulbs are that expensive. However, you will definitely need to un-oxidize the passenger side so it doesn't look like like cyclops.

You can probably rip that corner piece off the bumper, Most of the marks undeneath is dirt and will clean off - I would say this would look better than trying to tape that broken thing back on.

About the hood, no it is not difficult to replace - just 4 bolts. You will want 2 people when installing/removing - as it is hard to unbolt and hold the hood up yourself. I have done this many times.

On second glance, wow you have HIDs. How could you let them get that way???? So sad

Anyways finding a driver's side HID will be pretty difficult. It looks like the reflector bowl suffered damage, so swapping into a halogen housing will not be feasible unless you find the bowl.

car-part.com should be helpful to you
I was just totaled and I am rebuilding 'salvage' (it wasnt bad at all) to include front end.

looks like its all bolt on stuff; might be able to get that fender straight yourself but i bet it doesnt look good and seal up. buy a color match used one from the salvage yard for like $100-150 since the fenders are the same across model yrs (just save your original fender trim) if it doesnt straighten up right.

sealing it up in the front has been a bit more of a pain than i hoped for but i think it will be a lot easier for you since you arent using any 'fixed' parts except maybe a fender. Remember that the hood uses adjustable hood bumpers. i bet yours are tweaked and you will have to adjust them for your new hood. mine were seized, need new ones. you can create your own or buy the ones from ford... i recommend buying oem unless you have an extensive collection of random pcs of hardware layign around as theyre not too expensive

Double check your core support and the bumper supports. With that much damage, I would expect some of the supporting structures got bent.

On second glance, wow you have HIDs. How could you let them get that way???? So sad

Another LS owner neglecting his car. Sorry to hear about the accident but it doesnt look like you take very good care of your car. The headlights look like you have never refinished them (those HID headlights are $2000-3000/pr) and it looks like you are using cheap semi-metallic brake pads and you never clean the brake dust off the wheels. I bet there is alot more damage to that car than you think.

Another LS owner neglecting his car. Sorry to hear about the accident but it doesnt look like you take very good care of your car. The headlights look like you have never refinished them (those HID headlights are $2000-3000/pr) and it looks like you are using cheap semi-metallic brake pads and you never clean the brake dust off the wheels. I bet there is alot more damage to that car than you think.

lol wow, i hadn't even noticed the wheel...I'd assume you might need to replace the coils too... sorry bout the accident, hope you're ok

And probably needs the entire cooling system, and belts and pulleys and who knows what else.

I hate seeing headlights like that on cars.

Members online

No members online now.
Back