Changing oil yourself

Uncle Vinnie

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I just moved from a condo to a new home, with a double car garage, and am loving it.
My first task will be changing the oil of the car myself, vs paying someone a premium to have it done.

My question is for the people that also change oil themselves in their own garage, where is the best location to lift the car up in the air with an 3-ton rated jack?

Thanks

Buy ramps, chock the wheels and have at it. Buy the steel ramps not the plastic ones. If your car is lowered get the right ramps. UNDER NO CONDITION SHOULD YOU CRAWL UNDER THE CAR SUPPORTED ONLY WITH A JACK. If you choose to use a jack buy jack stands.
righty-tighty, lefty loosey.

Buy ramps, chock the wheels and have at it. Buy the steel ramps not the plastic ones. If your car is lowered get the right ramps. UNDER NO CONDITION SHOULD YOU CRAWL UNDER THE CAR SUPPORTED ONLY WITH A JACK. If you choose to use a jack buy jack stands.
righty-tighty, lefty loosey.

+1

Use the factory recommended points found in your owners manual.

+2
Buy a good set of steel ramps. I've had mine for years now and a lot of oil changes later. They also came in handy when changing the oxygen sensors and crank sensor on the LS.

On the subject of ramps, anyone recommend anyone decent (not ridiculously expensive) brands to check out?

Also I wonder if its worth the savings to buy online + shipping versus going to the hardware store or autostore to buy ramps

i had to buy a low-profile jack and had jack stands already, my original jack didn't fit after the lowering springs

I only used jacks when we did my oil a few months ago... within a year old craftsman jacks, good stuff. Theirs a spot just behind the front wheel wells, about maybe a 4x4 inch plate or so, one on each side, try those.

I use jack stands. I place them under a portion of the subframe. It is pretty far back. One thing I always do is after getting the car on the jack stands I bump against or push the car with my full body weight to ensure it is solid on those stands. Far better for it to fall off while I am standing beside it than when I am under it. I also make sure when I let the car down off the jack and onto the stands that the stands have all 4 corners solidly on the ground.

I am always nervous about the potential of getting crushed. The nervousness has kept me alive thus far.

My kids love to help, but they are never allowed under the car for any reason when it is up on the stands. They are so curious I can just see them reaching over and messing with the stands.

id trust jacks (plus jackstands too of course) over ramps. yes, check the owner's manual for the recommended jack points.

thats one of the things i had about cars without full frames...the number of spots to jack the car up are limited.

I saw a Faces Of Death when I was about 16. A guy was pulling wheel parts of a car and was sitting with his legs under the car. The jack slipped and severed one leg. When they put him on the stretcher there was like one tendon still holding his leg on. They set the leg one the stretcher with his foot by his chest. Every time I work on a car I think of that video.

From the 06 Service manual

Jacking Points

j1.gif
To lift the front or either side of the front end, position the floor jack or the hoist under the front frame lift points.

j2.gif
To lift the rear or either side of the rear end, position the floor jack or the hoist under the rear lift points.

I'd skip the ramps if I were you. A good set of jackstands and a jack will do you nicely. You cant very well use ramps if you are changing the brakes or fuel filter now can you? ;)

j1.gif

j2.gif

I bought a set of ramps for $50 max weight on each ramp is 3000 Lbs, lifts up the car an additional 7 inches, much easier than jacking up the car.

The ramps were a perfect length for the car to go up, they didn't slide or move.

The oil change could not of been easier than it was.

Thanks for everyone's help.

I saw a Faces Of Death when I was about 16. A guy was pulling wheel parts of a car and was sitting with his legs under the car. The jack slipped and severed one leg. When they put him on the stretcher there was like one tendon still holding his leg on. They set the leg one the stretcher with his foot by his chest. Every time I work on a car I think of that video.

I believe that was staged if I remember correctly, the producer had a friend that was an amputee and they recreated the scene since they didn't get it on film. Either way I am always nervous about being under any vehicle even with jack stands.

Imo...

...a small jack and one stand= emergency trunk equipment. I personally prefer ramps w/ chocks , and only for the reason that i personally feel safer with them. Also, don't know how valid a reason it is, but each time you jack the car up(even with specific jack points) is'nt that stress on the frame?!?!?

This is kind of off subject but I was watching 1000 Ways to Die on Spike and there was a guy who was under his truck fixing his exhaust at a gas station with his lower half hanging out and a semi came and drove over the top of him, splitting him in half. He lived initially but if I remember correctly he either died on the way to the hospital or at the hospital.

I used to back my LS into my driveway with the front facing down towards the street and jack it up in the front to level the car and put jackstands on both left and right of the car...this gives me room to change the oil and replace oil filter...remember to use E-Brake

Members online

No members online now.
Back