Center console lid

only took me almost two years before I found one...

do you also have a broken latch?

The broken latch issue has been fixed in a number of ways...a quick search will uncover most of them. One article, from some time back, goes into great detail about the issue. Others have used magnets to solve the problem. When I first purchased my LS, as a project car (as time allows) last year, I did an eBay search on parts -- both interior and exterior... at that time there were two consoles for the Gen II available. Now that I think about it, I might still have the Seller Name saved in my "Wish List." Therefore, my recommendation would be to scour the web...over and over and over. Unless, of course, it could be something that is fixable with a remedy that is better than what came from the factory.

On a side note, the cover of my console (the cushion-y, upholstered part) seems to have some "spring" or "give" in the area closest to the spring/hinge. That is, it gives to downward pressure, about a 1/4 to 1/2 an inch when pressed down. I must say that tension wise, it's okay...it pushes upward (toward the roof of the car) when downward pressure is relieved. Is this normal or no? I'm just used to cars having the console lid fastened "solidly" to the console opening or face. Flush mount so to speak...hope that makes sense.

On a side note, the cover of my console (the cushion-y, upholstered part) seems to have some "spring" or "give" in the area closest to the spring/hinge. That is, it gives to downward pressure, about a 1/4 to 1/2 an inch when pressed down. I must say that tension wise, it's okay...it pushes upward (toward the roof of the car) when downward pressure is relieved. Is this normal or no?

there is a tiny bit a play (like an 1/8") due to a little slack from the two parts of the lid that slide forward, shouldn't anywhere near 1/2" of movement though. if you have that much movment, I would look to make sure that all of the screws that hold the spring/hinge to the lid and that hold the spring/hinge to the console are tight.

I had the same problem with my 03 LS. The problem was extra difficult because my 03 has dark ash/medium ash color, which is very rare. I ended up purchasing a new one from a different year/color. I then replaced the latch itself in my old one from the new one.

I also had an issue with the mechanism that controls the movement of the arm-rest back/forth. It's controlled with a complex series of springs mounted to very poorly designed plastic. The solution was to use a Dremel to cut away the interior plastic to access what needed repairing. It's all hidden with a separate black panel that fits over it anyway. Then I used this product to rebuild the plastic parts and re-attach the spring.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004DFHSM6/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_dp_1

Don't waste your time thinking you can simply pull the fabric off and attach it to another newer arm-rest. I've been down that path, and it doesn't work. Very poor engineering on Lincolns part designing these arm-rests.

Don't waste your time thinking you can simply pull the fabric off and attach it to another newer arm-rest. I've been down that path, and it doesn't work. Very poor engineering on Lincolns part designing these arm-rests.

I planned to take the latch from one that I purchase and put it in the one in my car. That's why i don't care what color the lid is. In your opinion, is that doable?

Yes, very. I did the same thing. There's just some basic plastic covers. You'll just have to be careful wiggling the old latch out and the new one in, but it's fairly simple.

Duplicolor makes a dye that will work on this. It's very durable and Duplicolor's color match is spot on. Takes time though, you want to get it completely clean with a good acetone wipe down. Then, very thin coats. If I remember correctly you can either apply extra coats after 30 minutes or one coat a day and I suggest doing one coat a day. I tried the 30 minute method on my LS seats and they wound up peeling. Going to have to do them again when it warms up.

Members online

Back