CEL Code 214- Cam Sensor, Help

jj_john_johnny

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I had just replaced a leaking power steering reservoir and, to my surprise, when I took the car on a test drive the Check Engine light would come on while I was accelerating and turn off at a stop. The car also hesitates and bogs when I apply pressure to the gas pedal when taking off

I checked the codes and got a 214 for "CID circuit failure". So I bought 2 Cam Sensors, 1 from the junkyard and 1 brand new. I tried both and neither fixed my problem since I'm still getting the Check Engine light and it still hesitates

Its the exact same problem described in this thread, but there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer:
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=42795&highlight=cam+sensor

I don't understand how changing a power steering reservoir would cause a CEL. I made sure not to bang or damage the sensor while changing the reservoir and the wiring/plug looks fine. Any help is appreciated

Have you checked to see if your plug holes are filled with oil? If so that can cause the hesitation you are describing which means you need the whole valve cover set...Felpro sells one for less than $50. Just make sure not to take a hammer to the valve cover when changing it ;)

I just replaced the plugs and wires 2 weeks ago and there was not a drop of oil in any of the plug wells

The car has also run perfect each day since I changed the plugs and wires until now, so I don't think they're related

Just my two cents, but I think that somehow when you moved the PS pump you did something to the harness for the cam sensor-check the wiring, maybe disconnect the battery pos and neg cables and hold the lugs together for a few minutes to reset the computer...gremlins like this are the reason for a really good battery, alternator, connections (especially grounds)-good luck

i agree its probably the cam sensor harness..its right in the area you were working

the sensors themselves are idiot proof, its doubtful between the three you have that all three would be bad.

Its got to be in the wiring. I have since replaced the plugs, and wires and tried another PCM still have the light on in my car all the research I have done says its can only be the Cam sensor the PCM the ICM or a short in the wiring. I cant figure mine out and been driving it like this for 2yrs. It really pisses me off but I don't have the money to take it to the dealership and i don't have a breakout box to properly diagnose. So I'm stuck !!

I had just replaced a leaking power steering reservoir and, to my surprise, when I took the car on a test drive the Check Engine light would come on while I was accelerating and turn off at a stop. The car also hesitates and bogs when I apply pressure to the gas pedal when taking off

I checked the codes and got a 214 for "CID circuit failure". So I bought 2 Cam Sensors, 1 from the junkyard and 1 brand new. I tried both and neither fixed my problem since I'm still getting the Check Engine light and it still hesitates

Its the exact same problem described in this thread, but there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer:
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=42795&highlight=cam+sensor

I don't understand how changing a power steering reservoir would cause a CEL. I made sure not to bang or damage the sensor while changing the reservoir and the wiring/plug looks fine. Any help is appreciated

Hi jj_john_johnny

I had same error and problem. I too Has bought 2 sensors :D. But in my mark the problem was simple, the wire near sensor was broken. ;)

I checked the wiring and it looks fine...no cracks or breaks. I also sprayed some electrical contact cleaner on it and I've still got the same problem

Pics of the cam sensor wiring:

105_2346.jpg

105_2350.jpg

I checked the wiring and it looks fine...no cracks or breaks. I also sprayed some electrical contact cleaner on it and I've still got the same problem

Sorry I remember, I had same problem and same error code but with Crankshaft Position Sensor.
But there is no difference between them. :)
Try to check all electric chain from cam shaft sensor to main computer.
In my case broken wire was under cover. I have been compelled to remove a braid from wires and check it by eyes.

Members online

No members online now.
Back