CD Player Won't Operate/Eject CD's - 2006 LS w/Nav.

Reaper

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
After doing a bit of searching, I found a couple threads regarding malfunction of the navigation CD player, but no guaranteed fix (unless I missed something). Most of the threads were a bit dated as well. My current situation is I simply went to change from one CD to another and nothing happened. This was random, as I was driving down the road. I've read that sometimes burned CD's can possibly present an issue, but I've been using burned CD's in the car since I purchased it three years ago with no problems. Wondering if anyone has any tips as to removing the head unit, or getting it to work with a simple fix? I'm hoping that I don't have to take it into the dealer, but will if that's the last option. The only thing I've tried is disconnecting the battery for a couple minutes in attempt to reset the system... with no luck. Any input is appreciated.

Well, this may not help you, but here's what mine did.
There's a flat-flex cable that connects the changer to the rest of the head-unit. Mine had a sticky label on the cable right where it was next to a moving part of the changer. The cable stuck to the moving part and one day when it went to change CDs, it pulled the cable out. The result was that the CDs and the changer no longer worked. It was easy to fix. Just remove the nav/climate assembly. The nav head is sort of in two parts, and the top part is the changer. Open the covers on that and plug the cable back in (clean the glue off so that it won't happen again).
If this is not your problem, I do have a working changer from a nav unit (well, it worked when it was removed a few years ago).

Thanks for the advice joegr. i'll give that a try tonight. just need to figure out how to remove the nav/climate assembly now. :-S

I may hit you up about the changer if I can't resolve the issue.

if not a have a tape deck around somewhere... its easy to convert those CD's your still using over to cassette.

Let me know :cool:

That reminds me G, I still owe you a video of me smashing that 1st radio with the 6 stuck CD's in it, which I replaced with a scrapper unit to only have it fail within a short time also.

The smashing with a bat of the radio never happened, it went in the trash can to the curb ... BUT ... I do have this second Fn thing to take out this summer, still a vid opportunity possible.

Interesting... I do have some tannerite left over... perhaps I'll make a little video also!!!!!

Best LS stock radio w/ stuck CD blow up contest thread.

I'm game!

Lol I have three OEM units in my garage shelf at home. I can provide some serious carnage lmao.

To the OP, these CD changers are notorious for failure. Joegr's experience was definitely a rare exception. All of mine that failed did so mechanically, either a gear or lifter assembly etc. I've had one instance where just a small spring tensioner broke, but after fixing that it failed shortly after due to a gear coming loose which in turn caused a band and a few other parts to fall off. Theres so many tiny brittle pieces in the changers to the point to where if one is missing, broke, or out of place... you're literally better off singing to yourself than trying to fix it.

I'd advise to just fork out the cash and purchase a nice aftermarket unit with a Metra install kit. It looks factory and fits great. Best of luck with whatever route you go.

Oh, and if you have some patience it's very easy to retrieve your discs that remain in the cd changer. You'll need a couple different small torx bits, a small phillips screw driver (very small), and a little time.

Contact me if you want step by step procedure in accessing them via disassembly etc.

The CD changer in the THX nav is made by Pioneer. I wonder who made the other changers used in the LS? In any event, my THX nav headunit was replaced under warranty due to some intermittent problem with the CD changer. It was the replacement unit that later failed with the cable pulled out. This (and others' experiences) does indicate to me that these changers are not very reliable. It'd be a bigger issue if anyone used CDs anymore...

This (and others' experiences) does indicate to me that these changers are not very reliable. It'd be a bigger issue if anyone used CDs anymore...

hands down the #1 reason somebody come in to replace a ford 6 disc radio that is broke is because of a failed 6 disc... it really has to be one of, if not the #1 cause of failure for any ford 6 disc radio.

to be honest, ANY 6 disc changer has a whole lot more complexity in the internal mechanics, and most brands seem to have a fairly high failure rate (to be a little more clear, not that there is a huge percentage of 6 disc failures, but more like a high percentage of failed radios are due to the CD changer breaking/jamming.)

Having the 6-disc changer working properly in my car has been a hit or miss proposition since I purchased my car in early ’09. Mine would get hung up when changing discs and I found that if I just let it sit for several hours or usually overnight, whatever was stuck and keeping the discs from changing, would start working again. Occasionally it would take a few days to begin working again.

The navigation is still working and gets used on a regular basis. I still am a physical media type of person and I still prefer CD’s over downloaded music. So I started loading and listening to just one disc at a time. It’s not as convenient, however since I am not tasking the troublesome changing mechanism of the unit anymore, I have not had one hiccup since I started doing this about 4+ years ago.

My nav/thx system has been a disappointment since I bought the car. The nav is slow and sucks to use and the 6-disk has stopped playing and will not eject the disks. The sound system is good, better bass than any factory system I have heard but I need more from the head unit. I'm looking for DVD playback, USB, and Bluetooth would be nice. I'm limited to about $500 but don't need nav. Still looking...

Members online

No members online now.
Back