Castrol Edge vs Mobil 1

Jafeb

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried Castrol Edge on their Mark VIII? It's a new synthetic oil that's suppose to be better than Mobil 1. The clerk at O'Reilly worship this oil stating it's better than Mobil 1 and Royal Purple. I'm myself use Royal Purple in both of my Mark VIII. I went to the website and it claims you can go 15,000 miles between oil change.

http://www.castroledgeusa.com/

I've used Castrol products, and even sold their industrial products. They produce high quality goods. I also wouldn't go out and punish myself for having eith Mobil 1 or Royal Purple in my engines. In general I think you will find both Castrol and Mobil more economical as they have their own blend stocks where other's have to actually buy from them to produce a product. How far you go on an oil change has always been a subject of debate due to the type of driving you do,where you do it (dirty enviroment), and the quality of the filter. On a low dollar engine or a vehicle that you are not planning on keeping a very long time 15,000 miles may work, but I won't be signing up for it. I have in the past gone 10,000 miles, but back then I was racking up 50,000 miles per yr.

I've used Castrol products, and even sold their industrial products. They produce high quality goods. I also wouldn't go out and punish myself for having eith Mobil 1 or Royal Purple in my engines. In general I think you will find both Castrol and Mobil more economical as they have their own blend stocks where other's have to actually buy from them to produce a product. How far you go on an oil change has always been a subject of debate due to the type of driving you do,where you do it (dirty enviroment), and the quality of the filter. On a low dollar engine or a vehicle that you are not planning on keeping a very long time 15,000 miles may work, but I won't be signing up for it. I have in the past gone 10,000 miles, but back then I was racking up 50,000 miles per yr.

Used a good quality regular oil and change it at regular intervals about 3000 K's and save you money. :) :) :)

I like running the Motorcraft 5w20 semi-synthetic with a wix filter... it's cheap and seems to work well.

I thought he wanted to talk about the use of synthetics not blends or straight grades. For clarity, I use Mobil 1 in the "Whiner" and Castrol in my other 96 DD.

My reason for this is my engine builder is sold on Mobil 1, and it's a good oil and I will stay with it in this application as it needs a synthetic for the extra EP, RP and oxidation protection. My DD gets Castrol synthetic because it doesn't get the workout it used to so oil changes don't come up that often. The detergents and RP's are welcomed in this application.

The edge is too new to know anything yet, at least how it holds up. I also believe that Mobil1 is overrated, not bad oil, just pricey and it doesn't perform any better than most syns.

A great oil for the money is Pennzoil Platinum, it continually shows great UOA's and is priced at 23.00 for a 5qt jug at wally world.

Also, in regards to the change your dino oil every 3K; unless your driving falls under severe, changing the oil every 3K wastes money. You can easily go 5K for normal service on dino oil.

mobil 1 isn't "full syn" anymore IIRC. i read somewhere about a year ago that they changed their formula because they lost a lawsuit. something about they sued someone for saying their oil was "full syn" but wasn't, they lost, so they just joined in to save money. anyone else hear about that?

but anyway, i use rotella or delo in everything i own.

I have amsoil in the mount and thats what my dad has run in all of his vehicles for many years now the cobra has mobil 1 but i have only done the oil once and wanted to make sure it doesnt use too much.....same goes for the Mark VIII.....once i hit 3000 miles i think i might try to change it over....oh and i only change the oil in the mount once a year as the oil is good for 25000 and the filters are good for 12500 miles respectively. but the mount only saw 5000 last year so it didnt save me any money.....

oh and i only change the oil in the mount once a year as the oil is good for 25000

:eek:

25,000 miles seems too long to me.

I'd be inclined to go for a much shorter interval and send off a sample for testing.

Members online

No members online now.
Back