Car won't start for awhile...

92 Arizona Towncar

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Here is one that is stumping me... I went to my car to go to work this morning and my car woudl not start... It turned over, but just wouldn't start... I got out checked all the wires to make sure everything was connected and cranked it again in vain... The wierd part is that this has happened before, except after a couple of hours, the car will turn over and start right away... The first time this happened, I changed the plugs and wires, and the car started... The second time this happened, I was at work and called a tow truck to tow to Firestone to have them look at it... When the Tow truck arrived, I thought I'd give it one last shot and sure enough, it started... I have no idea what coudl be causing this... I thoug habout changing the Ignition coils, since I believe they are original from 92' Anyone elese have this problem? :cool:

Look for info on a cam sensor a.k.a. CID(Cylinder IDentification) sensor. On the 4.6 DOHC(Mark VIII), an intermittent no start is indicative of a bad cam sensor or intermittent break in the wire harness at the sensor. The cam sensor on the EEC-IV system sends signals to the PCM which in turn determines timing/duration for the fuel injectors along with the crank sensor signal.

I'm pretty sure it's the Cam sensor, someone at Lincolns Online had the same exact problem... Does anyone know where the Cam sensor is located? :cool:

92 Arizona Towncar said:
... Does anyone know where the Cam sensor is located? :cool:

On the DOHC(Mark VIII), it is behind the power steering reservoir, in the front of the driver's side head(for lack of a better description). On the SOHC, I am not exactly sure of its location.

I will need to check my DVD manuals at home and see if I can come up with a location.

Dont forget about the crankshaft sensor. From the tc forums i go to thats a very frequent one too.

In the picture the camshaft sensor is on the end of the head below the valve cover, not sure which end though.

And the crankshaft sensor is located next to the A.C. compressor. Sometimes with the crank sensor, it is the wiring to the plug. It is located in an area way down low that sees alot of moisture from rain, snow, etc. It is a PITA to get out. The trick is the remoe the accessory belt and the loosen, not remove, the bolts holding the compressor and then slide the compressor back 2 inches so you can get at the crank sensor. If you need more details, let us know. Good luck.

I'm gonna buy one tomorrow and install them... Been looking around and the average price is $15.00 or so... I'll let you know how it went. :cool:

If you do, try to take some pics while you do it. We're going to be building a How To section soon and we can include this......

92 Arizona Towncar said:
I'm gonna buy one tomorrow and install them... Been looking around and the average price is $15.00 or so... I'll let you know how it went. :cool:

92 Arizona Towncar said:
Here is one that is stumping me:

Try replacing the ignition module. i have an 87 towncar and was having issues with starting her up. then wait a sec(minutes to hours) and she would be fine. i replaced wires, plugs, rotor, cap, ignition coil. still happened. but dont buy a motor craft module. pretty simple to put on. should be on the distributor. hope this helps.

:beer:

Members online

Back