car surges forward?

Travdivs

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi all, searched and couldn't find. I backed my car out of my driveway and then put it into drive once I was on the street. The car surged forward as if someone had slammed the accelerator to the floor and the brakes were unable to stop it.I had to shift into park for the car to stop (not good on the trans, I know). Has anyone else experienced this problem? What could it be?

Please don't take offense at this possibility (happened to my daughter).

Her foot was the problem. It was on the gas pedal when she thought it was on the brake.
It explains the failure of the brakes and the application of the throttle.

If it's not that, there is really only three other possibilities.

1. Throttle linkage failure as stugots indicated. If it is this, the problem will still be there. This still won't explain why the brakes failed.

2. Sabotage. Know anyone out to get you? If it is this, then you will be able to find it. They had to mess with the brakes and the throttle.

3. If you are sure that you didn't hit the wrong pedal, and can find no problems and it drives okay now, temporary demon possession is about all that's left.

Pektel, is that you ?

:: First thing I noticed when I got my LS was how little room there was underneath for my large work boots.
:: A lot of boot on both pedals couple of times until I got used to it.

This has happened to me once before when just starting the car and shifting it into drive immediately after - because upon starting the engine is revving higher it will jump when u engage drive.

I've seen this before on other cars where the throttle position sensor is on the way out and the brakes have a tough time holding things back at a stop. Haven't seen it on an LS before though.

Also watch if you have big feet, a floor mat that's not sitting flat, or sandals that could span both pedals at once.

lol "I had to shift into park for the car to stop" did that pulling my brothers car into the garage once. Brain says skip right past Neutral.

Hi all, searched and couldn't find. I backed my car out of my driveway and then put it into drive once I was on the street. The car surged forward as if someone had slammed the accelerator to the floor and the brakes were unable to stop it.I had to shift into park for the car to stop (not good on the trans, I know). Has anyone else experienced this problem? What could it be?

i had the same problem. IACV got stuck WFO.

at about 3 grand. at a stop light....

shut it off, back on... no fixxy.

not fun. but check that.

Thanks for the help guys. I am going to drive it around for awhile and see if the problem repeats itself. I don't think my foot was on both because i was just coasting, my foot was neither on the brake or accelerator. Any other suggestions guys? I'll keep these in mind. If I take the car to a service shop, is this something they can diagnose?

Thanks for the help guys. I am going to drive it around for awhile and see if the problem repeats itself. I don't think my foot was on both because i was just coasting, my foot was neither on the brake or accelerator. Any other suggestions guys? I'll keep these in mind. If I take the car to a service shop, is this something they can diagnose?

Only if it does it for them.

Thats what I was afraid of. Getting it to happen for them is going to be a PITA.

Well, I mean if there isn't any visible problems it's going to be hard.

There isn't many things that could cause this. Like Joe said, driver error, anywhere connecting the pedal to the throttle, anything touching the pedal, I'm not familiar with the IAC but it could be a possibility like someone said.

I've had an IAC stick fully open on me before. I had to use the brakes to keep it below 40. However, there was no problem stopping it or keeping it from taking off.

Another option could be an RC LS ?

640px-RC-XD_Controller.jpg

j/k

640px-RC-XD_Controller.jpg

Members online

Back