Car is running like crap!

Duck

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
It is making me crazy! Here is want I have done:
Plugs
IAC
TPS
The car has a miss but it changes. It varies from a studder to a dead miss. Pulled the codes yesterday and I have 3.
I see that one is for the egr sensor and one is for the egr valve. Could these cause this issue.
Any help would be great.
Thanks

Possibly mass air flow sensor, but more likely a bad plug wire if it feels like an ignition miss. Egr valve, if it was stuck open should only cause the car to miss at idle. At higher rpm's it can burn the extra fuel and problem goes away.

335: EGR feedback signal is/was out of range – EVR or PFE

113: IAT sensor is/was high or open

189: Fuel system was lean at part throttle – Left or Front HO2S – Fuel control

so. you probably need a dpfe. they wear out a lot.

your IAT has an issue of some kind. you should look into that. i'm not sure how it is on the Mark, but on other Fords, a bad IAT can really screw up the computer.

and the lean code is probably the result of a miss. since its only on one bank, its not a vac leak. i suspect spark or fuel.

possibly a bad spark plug. i got a bad one right out of the box yesterday, i was working on a Mustang installing Motorcraft plugs. things were $13 a piece, and one was bad from Ford.

I thought bad plugs at first, so I replaced them again. No improvement. The dpfe is a bear to get at, right? I assume that it is on the back of the engine, driver's side.

really? there is not logical reason to go replace a spark plug with those codes. it's like saying you have a leaky faucet so I'm gonna replace your water heater.... replace the dpfe and the hoses. clear the codes and retest... and stop listening to those people that told you that you needed spark plugs....

that is silly.
OP arrived at the same diagnosis i did.
clearly, there was some merit in checking it out.
and he did. bravo Duck.

also, having been through DPFE codes on multiple cars now, not once did a DPFE/EGR code cause a miss. it is a very common issue with Fords. the DPFE goes bad and the light comes on. been there, done that, twice personally.

ignition related misfire codes do not show up on a OBD1 car. what does that mean? there will be no misfire code. there will be no "bad plug" code.
what more than a misfire do you need to suspect ignition components?
BTW, the Lean Mixture code is indicative of a misfire, which would absolutely point towards a spark plug, or plug wire, or fuel injector.

bad plug wire was suggested above, bad spark plug was suggested because it happened to me YESTERDAY.

Duck: the DPFE is behind the engine. removing the wiper cowl however leaves plenty of room to access the DPFE and related hoses. that is the route i would take.

"having been through DPFE codes on multiple cars now, not once did a DPFE/EGR code cause a miss."

a bad dpfe will cause a miss and a lean code. a bad plug will cause a dead miss and a lean code but no egr code.(were just assuming it's a bad NEW PLUG not an injector or a wire or anything else)

just remember how much your paying for this advice....

it can cause a miss at idle. but he never gave any explanation on when it misses. learn how the DPFE works and you will understand why it can cause a miss at idle.

that's it for me, no need to go on

Cleared the codes, got me a new code reader, replaced the IAT, and now I get code 124.
TPS voltage out of normal. I have suspected the tps ever since I changed it, however I did not think it could cause a miss except at idle. Am I wrong!

what is your car doing? is it hesitating? when does it "run like crap" idal, highway, hot, cold?

i believe i am having the same problem right now with my 1995 mark viii. the mechanic told me the egr and egr pressure sensor codes popped up, and also the mass air flow. I replaced the mass air flow sensor, and will replace the egr stuff next. i took a video of how it runs at idle. i am trying to figure out if its sputtering from needing a tune-up or from the bad egr system.[video=youtube;2Q08OwjXlsM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q08OwjXlsM&feature=youtu.be[/video]

If the car has over 100,000 miles and it's on the original plug wires, you should change em. End of strory

I have always thought if the MAF is bad, you could disconnect it and the engine would default to settings allowing even firing. Am I mis-informed? It has worked on other makes.

I've had "missing" problems on my 95. 1st time it was at 52K. New wires fixed it. I've changed the wires twice since then Now at 122K and runs sweet.

Members online

Back