car cranks but wont turn over

stlunatic

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
just this morning, after cleaning my car, of course my car wont start.i know this has been discussed plenty of times and i did search and got some answers but im still a little confused. im thinking it could be the starter or the fuel pump but how would i go about checking these? i just dont know how to go about trouble shooting my problem, any suggestions are welcome. thanks guys

If car cranks, then it's not the starter.

Try unplugging and plugging back in the crank position sensor. (it's near the crank pulley)

youre engine looks like a v at the very bottom of the v is the crank pulley

well that helps a little bit but i dont want to just be yanking on stuff without really knowing what im looking for

If it started before you washed it, you may have inadvertently gotten water/moisture in the plug wells. My gen 2 does this when I wash it and it's parked uphill. Pull the wires out one by one and see if they are damp or sweating. If they are, blow the ends of the wires and the plug wells with compressed air. Insert the nozzle into the plug well and then put a rag or towel over the hole. This will keep the crud that gets in there from coming out all over you. The crank sensor is between the a/c compressor and the crank pulley. It's a 2 wire connector. Try wiggling or removing and reconnecting the connector.

where am i pulling wires from? im not sure if the car would start before i washed it, but it was fine last night.

:edit:
just snooped around in the engine a little bit. im not seeing any signs of moisture any where. its pretty warm out, i washed my car at 11 and its almost 5 now so i dont think moisture is the problem

I don't have a pic of it, but just do a google image search on 97 Lincoln Mark 8 crank sensor and it's on the second page about 1/2 way down...

link
3rd row down, 4th result

The bottom pulley is the crank pulley
the crank sensor is at or about the 8-9 oclock position on the pulley, the sensor is between the crank pulley and the AC compressor.

IF you look, you will see it.
Unplug it
crank the car, of course it wont start
then plug the sensor back in

ok i looked in my engine bay at the bottom pulley and im not seeing it. is it more behind the crank or should it be right there in front of me? sorry bear with me here guys

Here we go: (view is from underneath the car)

crankpositionsensor.jpg

Hopefully, when you washed the car, the connector just got damp.

thanks 93 that pic helped a whole lot. unforunetly that was not the problem. im thinking its either the fuel pump or the fuel filter. are our fuel pumps inside the tank or outside? also i tried following the fuel line to find the filter to see if it was clogged but was unable to find it?

Fuel filter is in the passenger fender well, behind the plastic shield. Fuel pump is in the fuel tank.

Still seems like too much of a coincidence to me - car gets washed, then doesn't 'fire up'

When you turn the ignition key to the position before the car actually cranks, do you hear the pump at all?

Also, did you try unplugging and plugging in the crank sensor a few times?

How about leaving the hood open, so that any remaining water can evaporate easily?

Checked all your fuses yet?

Fuel: How much fuel is in the tank?

Just thinking of anything to try.

I'm only typing this because I'm in a good mood... so far.

Fuel filter = Behind front passenger tire. have to move the splash shield out of the way. That's the plastic thinghy over the tires.

Fuel pump in tank. Put ignition to run and listen for the fuel pump. If you can hear it, then it's good. But listen closely.

Check to see if you have fuel pressure at the schrader valve. Search for the word here and you'll find pics of where it's at. IF you have fuel pressure at the valve, then your pump is good.

Search.

checked all fuses and theyre fine, should be enough gas in the car to start. im going to look into the schrader valve now, i really appreciate your help guys

Might make it easier for people to help if you included the year of the car you are working on.
first gens have some specific issues that relate to first gens
96's have their own little world of problems..
97-98's have different scenario's/problems than the first gens.

HELP us, help YOU.

The bottom pulley is the crank pulley
the crank sensor is at or about the 8-9 oclock position on the pulley, the sensor is between the crank pulley and the AC compressor.

I gave tiffany (my girlfriend) the above instructions, and she walked out there and found it in about 4 seconds.

unforunetly that was not the problem.

Ok if you just unplugged it and plugged it back in and it didn't FIX the problem, that does NOT mean the Crank Sensor isn't the issue.

sometimes when they start to go bad you "can" do the unplug/plug back in test.

But just because that didn't work, does NOT mean the CPS isn't bad.

next step is to "replace" it..might consider replacing the Cam Sensor while your at it.
Cam Sensor is BEHIND the power steering resevoir, you have to pull the resevoir off to gain access to it.

Tiffany changed her own Cam Sensor in about 15 minutes, She was stranded at OReilly.. I told her to buy the sensor and I would drive up there and put it on.. by the time I got there.. she was bolting the power steering resevior back on the car..
(lol)
Girlfriends FTW!!

well congratulations because tiffany must be the sh#t. i wish i had the time to do all this myself and try to figure out whats wrong but i really dont so i had it towed to a shop today. hopefully everything turns out well.

well she IS "the sh*t" but she also knows how to follow directions...

the CPS isn't a "tow it to the shop" job..
it's a roll your sleeves up and fix it job

it aint rocket science hell, it aint even model rocket science.

well congratulations because tiffany must be the sh#t. i wish i had the time to do all this myself and try to figure out whats wrong but i really dont so i had it towed to a shop today. hopefully everything turns out well.

LOL !!!
I think the Tiffany mod is the $hit!

well she IS "the sh*t" but she also knows how to follow directions...

the CPS isn't a "tow it to the shop" job..
it's a roll your sleeves up and fix it job

it aint rocket science hell, it aint even model rocket science.

look man, if i knew what i was doing i would feel more inclined to do something like that. i do most of my maintenance myself and believe me i am regretting taking it to the shop because i know its going to cost me. you don't have to make me feel like an a$$hole by giving examples on how your chick could find the part in 4 seconds blah blah blah. i just wanted some input here. i appreciate everyones help

well I wasn't trying to make you feel like an azzhole.

was trying to get you to find the danged thing, check it and change it if needed.
IF you have the mechanical skills to change the plugs and oil, then the CPS is well within' your ability.

You came asked for advice, I was really only trying to help you.

it's not my fault your having second thoughts about committing to pay someone else to do it.

clogged fuel filter and the fuel pump is on the way out. theyre trying to charge me quite a bit for the upmp, which is a mark viii specific pump. i asked him about the ford focus pump but he said he didnt recommend that. something about pumping capacity not matching up or something. is the focus pump the exact pump we have? because the prices ive been finding these focus pumps is much cheaper then the pump theyre trying to sell.
they wont be able to get the pump in until monday so that at least gives me some time to shop around

Members online

No members online now.
Back